Placing the mat in the machine and a paper tip

Placing the mat in the machine and a paper tip

Postby nannie4 » November 26th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Hi, All. Happy Thanksgiving to all of our American friends !
I thought I would share two things that I have learned. I'm sure all of you seasoned SB cutters know this already, but if it helps someone just starting out, then good. :) My machine is a 13" so the 12" end of the mat is the end that is introduced into the machine. I have learned to insert the mat from the left-hand side of the machine, and not move it to the right until the paper edge is at the white cutting strip. Then I slide it over carefully to avoid hitting the blade with the mat.
The second tip deals with CutMates card stock. I bought Heritage White (65 lb.) and Heritage Black (65 lb.) The black is heftier than the white , and they both have a smooth side and a "soft" side. I was disappointed with the white card stock because it was sticking to the mat and tearing when removed from it. The black doesn't seem to be as susceptible to this. I have learned that placing the smooth side down on the mat solves the tearing problem. Little bits of paper don't stick to the mat either when the smooth side is down. There is no problem with the actual cutting --- it cuts beautifully. I have some metallic paper by WordWin too. It's 90 lb. and cuts like a dream.
I hope that's helpful to someone. If not, no harm done. {smile}
Thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me many times.
nannie4
Die-cutting counts as exercise.....right?
nannscraftinest.blogspot.com
nannie4

Cutter: SB 13, SCAL 5 Pro, Windows 10

Re: Placing the mat in the machine and a paper tip

Postby Gigi » November 26th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Thanks for the tips.

I have some Coredinations card stock that is textured on one side and smooth on the other and have found the same thing (I think it is the vintage line). The white sticks to the mat so I put it smooth side down as well. Remember to use a spatula or flat tool to help the paper release as that helps ease tearing as well.

I think I understand what you are saying about inserting the mat, but your blade should not be so low that the mat hits it when you put it in. Just want to be sure that you have the blade holder set high enough. Glad you are finding tricks that work for you - that is truly what the learning process is about. Great job.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Re: Placing the mat in the machine and a paper tip

Postby Elizabeth » November 27th, 2014, 8:55 am

Any tip that slows me down when inserting my mat is helpful!!! Thanks!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help