Double Cuts from Vector in AI to SCAL

Re: Double Cuts from Vector in AI to SCAL

Postby Suzan » October 27th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Thank you Elizabeth, we are more than excited.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby LisaH » October 28th, 2014, 10:35 am

Congrats to all of you, Suzan, and have fun!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby PennyDuncan » October 29th, 2014, 9:05 am

What an exciting time for your family Suzan...Congratulations!!!! That is such happy happy news!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Artisan12 » December 28th, 2014, 10:23 am

I have FINALLY tripped over the solution!!!! Yea- Cartwheel, Cartwheel!!!!

My original process...work in my beloved photoshop, import into AI ===>Image, Trace, Make===>>> Save as an SVG from AI with the imported Scal feature.
--->>> When I would import and cut in SCAL, and cut my design, it would cut and cut and cut, sometimes duplicating an image 2 & 3 times. I finally figured out it was cutting each line double, it was cutting the inside and the outside of each line.

This is what I did this morning and my test worked!!! I earned that extra cup of coffee. Work your image however you like in photoshop/illustrator.
Save as a jpeg.
Open Scal, Select File, Trace Image.
Select your jpeg, you can see your node count and Source Image if you like, I have found out the "Softening" takes out a bit of the jagged lines and the higher the "Optimize" number the smoother the curve and the less nodes required to cut. Remember "Update Preview" because if you hit enter, the image disappears...not sure where it goes! But keep working the Softening and Optimize #s to get your image where you want it. Once complete Save as SVG option.

And the best part about it.....drum roll please....my design cut perfect the first time! The machine did not go crazy cutting and cutting! I know this might sound simple to some but it has taken me a long time to figure this out and as a newbie I am extremely excited!!! Now I just have to figure out how to do layers on the dang thing!!!!
Artisan12

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Prof Series

Postby Elizabeth » December 28th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Congrats! Thanks for the info. I need to explore the trace image settings more. I will use you tips when I do.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » December 28th, 2014, 11:22 pm

Artisan12 wrote:I have FINALLY tripped over the solution!!!! Yea- Cartwheel, Cartwheel!!!!

My original process...work in my beloved photoshop, import into AI ===>Image, Trace, Make===>>> Save as an SVG from AI with the imported Scal feature.
--->>> When I would import and cut in SCAL, and cut my design, it would cut and cut and cut, sometimes duplicating an image 2 & 3 times. I finally figured out it was cutting each line double, it was cutting the inside and the outside of each line......
And the best part about it.....drum roll please....my design cut perfect the first time! The machine did not go crazy cutting and cutting! I know this might sound simple to some but it has taken me a long time to figure this out and as a newbie I am extremely excited!!! Now I just have to figure out how to do layers on the dang thing!!!!

I had no problem cutting the first file you posted - your svg that I imported into SCAL, but I am glad you found a way that works for you - that's what it is all about!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Artisan12 » December 29th, 2014, 10:02 am

GiGi- I couldn't cut the first file at all. It cut and cut and cut. I have come to realize if you cant see the grid of SCAL through your image it cuts both the black and the white image as if they are seperate entities.

Now I'm on to doing things in layers!
Artisan12

Postby Gigi » December 29th, 2014, 11:30 am

Brooke, I don't mean to belabor this - I just hate to see you going to unnecessary work. I just imported the file again as it was. I made NO changes and cut it twice separately. Each time it only cut the design once. (and nicely I might add!)

Would love to know what the difference is - if I am not having trouble with it you shouldn't either. Only the fill is selected (how it imported) and there is no white - so I can't even recreate what you are seeing! If I select and break apart there is nothing there to break apart! Puzzled......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Artisan12 » December 29th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Gigi-

I have no clue and you are not belaboring anything! By openning a File in Trace Image it is the first time I have not cut and cut a design, ate my paper and all the other good stuff that happens when a design keeps cutting. I have to be doing something wrong or my settings are different then yours. Not sure how that could be. I'm just glad I can cut once now!! So happy!

Happy New Year All!
Artisan12

Postby Gigi » December 29th, 2014, 12:45 pm

But you shouldn't have to trace a design that is already a vector image and good to cut. It just bugs me cuz I don't want you to have to go to the extra work.
Just for the heck of it, can you please do a screen shot of your cutter settings when you have a minute?? Would love to make this easier for you!

Gigi
Gigi

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help