Blade help information needed

Blade help information needed

Postby SamBruce » October 19th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Hello, We are at the beginning of figuring out the silver bullet and right now working on cutting stencils.
We have purchased a variety Avery three-ring notebook dividers to cut. We were pretty successful at cutting a thinner sheet and then started to work on a thicker plastic. The plastic is about .01inches (this a guess) we used 200 force and 600 velocity and broke both 45 and the 60 degree tip. The image was multiple flourishes. We are wondering if this plastic is just too thick or stiff? The test worked fine and it did cut around 5 before the tip broke, both times.

We wondering should we be going slower? Or any suggestions? Is the plastic too stiff or thick?

Thank you for your help,
Samantha and Bruce
SamBruce

Cutter: 18" silver bullet

Re: Blade help information needed

Postby Gigi » October 19th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Since you are guessing at the thickness it's hard to comment if it is too thick or not. But with a thicker material I would recommend using the 60 degree plus blade - that is what it is for. Also I would slow the speed way down when doing a thicker material and a detailed cut. It could be that the design is too detailed for the thickness of the material but without seeing it I don't know. I would also measure the material to be sure you are not expecting the machine/blade to do more than is should.....

Also keep in mind that the test cut is a simple rectangle as opposed to a complicated design......

Those are my first thoughts....... Use the 60 degree plus and slow it way down with multiple passes - and reduce the force.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby SamBruce » October 19th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Hi Gigi,
Thank you for answering, we appreciate it. We determined the thickness is .010 and compared it with a stencil material we bought from a store that was .007. The store bought stencil material was much smoother than the one we cut (notebook divider material) so we are also wondering if maybe the ever slight texture may have been a problem too? We are not really wanting to use the much expensive 60 degree plus blade on the material a little nervous about breaking another blade.

Do you think the slight texture is an issue with the 60 degree plus blade?
SamBruce

Cutter: 18" silver bullet

Postby Gigi » October 19th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Well that is definitely not too thick.

Without seeing your design, I am guessing it is a combination of going too hard too fast and too detailed a design that pushed the blade(s) to the max. Do you have any sharp angles in the design?? Asking the blade to make a sharp angle in a thick material at a high speed could easily snap a blade. What is effortless in paper can be challenging in plastic because of the density of the material.

I would create a very simple design that mimics the shape of your flourish and play with it to get a successful cut and then try your design. As an example, I have cut .020 plastic at a speed of 400, force of 140 and 4 passes successfully.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help