Help with cutting

Help with cutting

Postby dianebeckman » October 6th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Hi,
I am cutting on 80 lb cardstock. Using the 60 detail blade. Set at 124 V at the moment. Cut seem to be better and worse at times. Most of the problem is at the sharp angle points it is not cutting cleanly. If the attachment is there if you look at when the sorta flower shape is the end point of those don't cut on all of them but do on some. I used the same patteen to make them all so I don't know what to do.
Any other adjustments I should make. I need to get 500 of these done ASAP. the image did have much more detail and I had to tell my boss it had to be changed. It was taking me one hour to cut eight of them. Now about 30 minutes to cut eight.
Appreciate any advice. I did order two more blades. Hope they get here soon.

Blessings, Diane Beckman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dianebeckman

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Help with cutting

Postby Gigi » October 6th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Without seeing the file, you might have too many nodes or misplaced nodes at the corners which can cause a problem with the angles. You talk about the speed you are using but not the force. You might be able to cut it at a much higher speed once the cuts are cleaned up, assuming that is part of the problem. As many of us have said before, if you have tight sharp corners, you can get much cleaner cuts by zooming in and moving your nodes so you have a slightly curved edge rather than a sharp one. Zoomed in you can see the curve, but when you zoom out is isn't noticeable to the eye, but the machine will handle it much better. You may also need to increase your force slightly to get cleaner cuts and be sure the card stock is well brayered onto the mat.

You have only had your machine for a week, and you are tackling a lot while learning a new machine. That is why you will constantly encourage prospective buyers to not buy the machine with a deadline looming as that can certainly increase your frustration while you are learning. Hopefully after this job you will be able to give yourself some time to experiment more. In the meantime, we are all happy to try to help as best we can.

And these machines are designed to cut very well at faster speeds and usually does quite well with card stock weighted as yours - so my guess is that you could speed up the cut - again try it on a similar cardstock to be sure you get a good clean cut (don't want you to waste card stock that you need), be sure the card stock is WELL brayered down in all areas and that no little pieces are clinging to the blade, and see if you need to at least simplify the nodes.

I am sure others will have suggestions as well - good luck. You can do it! :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby dianebeckman » October 6th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the input. You are keeping me from throwing in the towel. Can I send you the svg file to look at and where? My speed is set at 780. My force is now at 119. My overcut is at 1.20. My boss had the request to make these and to get them laser cut was over $6000.00 for the original pattern. She has put this off awhile on account of another weddidng that was ahppening this past weekend and have final stuff to be done. I suggested buying the Silver Bullet (banging my head now-WHY did I think I could do this) as I new the Cricut and such machines would not be able to do this. I checked some places today for a die to be made and they as much laughed at me and couldn't believe I was cutting them.
So what I am understanding is I need to take my sharp corners and round them out some. If that is so I can do that and save me more frustration. I have at least 300 more to do and punching out all these little pieces is driving me nuts.
dianebeckman

Postby Gigi » October 6th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Yes you can upload the file here or PM it to me - whichever is easiest.

You CAN do this, but there is a learning curve to this machine and it takes time to figure out how to adjust the patterns to the machine, the cutting to the paper, etc etc. It is capable of so much and I am sure you have seen some of the many things we have all created, but it just takes time to really master the ins and outs. Don't give up - just take a deep breath and tackle things in small pieces as best you can - at least after this big job is done.

There are a lot of reasons you have having to punch the pieces out. It could be that they are not cleanly cutting, that you don't have enough adhesive holding the card stock in place (is it well brayered), perhaps turn the speed down a little to see if you get the little pieces out better - and maybe just take some of those little pieces out separately, get some scrap card stock that is similar, and cut the little things you are having trouble with until you get teh results you want. And then you should be able to go back to the full design and have success.

Again, happy to look at the file as I am sure others would be if you just want to upload it here. If you upload it to the forum you will need to zip it first. If you PM it, you can send as is. Hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby dianebeckman » October 6th, 2014, 11:03 pm

GigiHI,

You are the sweetest. I am trying to attach. I don't know how to zip a file and where do I PM? Here is the file I revised curving a lot of the shapes. I am having another issue right now. I have a 24 x 48 mat. Laying up 4- 11 x 17 sheets. Cutting two of the shapes side by side on each sheet.
It is cutting one out fine and the one next to it cutting out parts of it and the blade skimming over the rest. Then another one it cuts and the shape is being torn and the one next to it is fine. I think I will end up cutting out 600 to get 500 decent ones.
I am so overwhemled.
I sent in to a few laser cutters for some quotes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dianebeckman

Postby Elizabeth » October 7th, 2014, 8:00 am

Hi Diane,

Could you possibly reattach your file as an SVG. I don't have AI, so can't take a look at if for you. Gigi has given you great advice. I have noticed that some papers cut more cleanly than others, and am wondering if your paper may be an issue. When I have similar issues, I usually sample with a double cut at a lower force. It is often very effective.

As far as the skipping goes, you should check to make sure that your power cord is securely connected. Sometimes the vibrations from a lot of cutting ( and it sounds like you are doing a LOT of cutting!) will cause it to loosen a bit, causing communication issues.

One way to look at things is that everything that you are learning by struggling through this project will make the next one very much easier to accomplish!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby dianebeckman » October 7th, 2014, 11:45 am

Hi,

Here is the file again. Hope you can open it. Thanks everyone for all your support. I feel so ready to sell this machine and do something else. I am sure when the pressure of this project is over I will feel much better. GOSH. The paper stack just doesn't seem to be getting much smaller fast enough.
Well, turn on this baby and cutting non-stop till my class tonight. Yeah. I teach class out of my home as well. Making really cute Halloween treat boxes tonight.

Blessings, Diane
dianebeckman

Postby Elizabeth » October 7th, 2014, 1:56 pm

I looked at your file, and nothing jumps out at me as being "uncuttable". I am at work right now, but would be happy to run a couple of test cuts for you when I get home this evening and see what happens.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » October 7th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Hi Diane,
I spent some time test cutting your file, and got pretty good results with a couple of papers that I had on had. One of the papers was smoother and crisper, and cut better than the other. I used a force of 120 and a velocity of 800 with a 45 degree detail blade and a single pass. I Renu'd my mat before starting tonight, as it was really needing it. I did have some "hanging chads" to remove, probably about 20 percent on the best cut. All of them were on the triangle and pointy petal shapes rather than the circles, which confirms Gigi's suspicion that the corners could use some editing.

I hope that after this project is finished, you can take a breath and find some time to learn the ins and outs of your Silver Bullet in a more relaxed frame of mind. It really is a marvelous machine!

Elizabeth

Postby dianebeckman » October 8th, 2014, 12:04 am

Hi Elizabeth,

You are doll. Thanks. I will take a look again at the file and to round out some more corners. Thanks a bunch for the encouragement. Right now I am so wound up and frustrated I am thinking I made a HUGE mistake getting the machine. My girl friend told me today to let myself settle down after this job and make something fun.

Blessings, Diane
dianebeckman

Postby Gigi » October 8th, 2014, 12:27 am

Your girlfriend is right!! Once you have the time to really get to know it and can create something simple and fun - just because -I think you will get more excited about using it again. As we have all said, tackling what you have for a first project is huge. It's like trying to run before you learn how to crawl and walk and move through the stages that make each successive one easier. You will get there!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » October 8th, 2014, 8:32 am

You are very welcome, Diane! I always enjoy playing with my Silver Bullet, and was happy to try out your design.

Yes, absolutely pick a 'just for fun' project next!

If you are going to be doing a lot of very detailed cutting, you might want to stock up on a variety of different papers, and play around to see which cut best for you. Because I typically cut less detailed shapes, I am usually quite happy with standard craft store paper. I know I would get better results on detailed cuts by using better paper.

@Gigi what paper do you use for cutting Dominic's really detailed files? I know you get beautiful results. Thanks!

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » October 8th, 2014, 12:36 pm

Hi Elizabeth!

I almost always use the Stardream text weight paper when cutting Dominic's files - not always, but it is truly one of my favorite papers and I consistently get great results with it. (Paper Temptress carries it and calls it her Mica line - same paper). It is a "go to" for me. With the more detailed of Dominic's files, I tend to use a lighter weight medium so I can get that fine detail without any shredding, and because the card is layered I can back it with a sturdier stock. Have also uses similar other papers with success. And the bonus, for me, in using the lighter weight stock is that I get good clean cuts and can almost always pull up the negative image and create a second card which I love to do.

Hope that helps. I may have a little more info on my blog but probably not much more! If you have any other questions, just holler! :)

I am such a fan of his files and am playing with some new ideas for his right now. :) I just cut one of his simpler butterflies out of laser transparency and foiled it and it was such fun. Plan to do a lot more of that too. :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » October 8th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Thanks Gigi! I'm going to have to place an order with the Paper Temptress. I saw your latest foiled card on your blog. It is beautiful!

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » October 8th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Thanks sweetie.

She has a lot of papers at 40% off right now - not the MIca line but the linens, columns, ruche (which is so much fun to cut and has great texture) etc. And of course we get the standard discount for the forum. Don't forget to use it! :)

I could seriously be an outlet store for her! Yikes!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » October 8th, 2014, 5:02 pm

I could seriously be an outlet store for her! Yikes!!

:ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » October 8th, 2014, 7:25 pm

It's true - just ask her!! LOL :hide:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » October 12th, 2014, 7:16 am

My first thought when reading through this post was that the paper may be the issue. I have used some papers that are fiberous and could not get clean cuts with detailed cuts no matter what I tried. Sometimes, the paper we want to use, just isn't the best choice for the job.

Also, I took a look at the file, I downloaded the AI file and converted it to svg and opened it in Inkscape (I haven't tried to cut it out as my craft room is still in boxes after refurbishing the house) and I noticed a lot of places where you have nodes very close together. If you can go in and delete some of those nodes, and still keep the shape of the cut, that may help a lot with the hanging chad issue.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help