Newbie trying intricate cuts! HELP!

Newbie trying intricate cuts! HELP!

Postby Paola » October 3rd, 2014, 2:02 pm

Hello! I guess you can say I'm a newbie trying to do intricate cuts already!!! I'm way over my head!
I've recently started an Invitations business and purchased the Silver Bullet 15" because I read so many good things about this super machine, that I had to have it.
I got my machine in the last month but did not get much time to practice (as I would have liked to) and I would LOVE to get your help with this if possible.
A client was interested in a laser-cut invitation with a very intricate cut-out frame!
I have attached a picture of the pattern and would like your help at determining what velocity/force I would need to set my machine at and also know what is the best blade/holder to use for this type of artwork. At this point, I am testing to see if I am able to accomplish this mission!
I will be using shimmer cardstock (107lb cover weight).

I have read some posts on this forum but my client would like an answer by the weekend so I would love your expertise to help me with this job.

I hope there is someone out there that can guide me! Hopefully in a few months I will be a pro myself and can return the favor!

Thank you.
Paola
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paola

Cutter: Silver Bullet 15"

Re: Newbie trying intricate cuts! HELP!

Postby Gigi » October 3rd, 2014, 9:58 pm

Obviously we would advise against this kind of a project while you are trying to learn your machine. There are so many variables.

The quality of the cut file is just one of them. Too many nodes will make the easiest paper/card stock at the right force impossible to cut. If it is humid, that will create issues. I would definitely use the detail blade and holder with a file that intricate. I am assuming it is the Stardream cover card stock as that is the normal one that most use that has a beautiful shimmer. I cut that at 90 usually, but every machine is a little different and will need to be adjusted accordingly - including the amount of blade showing, how high up it is etc. A lot of the learning is trial and error as you get a feel for it. If I could get away with it, I would use a text weight Stardream or Mica as it is thinner and can easily handle a pattern like that with less frustration, and then back it in cardstock if you need to..... but that is your call. This is a really complicated first project.

I really encourage you to get to know your machine first and master simple cuts on a similar cardstock so you can approach a project like this with as much confidence and ultimately success as possible.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Paola » October 3rd, 2014, 10:36 pm

Hi Gigi,
Thank you for your response! This is why I wrote in: to even see if it was possible!
I will definitely suggest a far less complicated design to the client (that was the one the client requested a price for).
I knew it was out of my league...at least for now!
There are lots of trial and errors to make, that's for sure!

I appreciate your help!
Thanks again!
Paola

Postby Gigi » October 4th, 2014, 12:05 am

You are welcome. I definitely think it is possible - perhaps not quite that intricate if we are talking about the same card stock, but I have done some pretty fine monograms on that card stock for one of the newer users. But it takes time to get to know the machine - YOUR machine - and how it handles for you. I just hate to see people take on too much too early and get discouraged. I can promise you that if you take the time to learn and be easy on yourself, you will be cutting absolutely amazing things in no time. You have only to peruse the Masterpieces Section of the gallery of albums that some of us have done to see just a tidbit of what is possible.

Baby steps........ get confident with the easy things and then build on that confidence. That is the best advice I can give you (and that is coming from someone who is NOT a patient person at all! :o :o ) :)

We will be here for help and support as you need it!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » October 4th, 2014, 7:07 am

Hi Paola. As Gigi says, that would be a challenging file for the most experienced user. It's a gorgeous invitation. I can see why your client wants you to replicate it. While I'm sure that this is possible with your Bullet, if it were me, I would go for a simplified version, especially if doing a large number of invitations. It will make the cutting and assembly much more "doable". Good luck with your business!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Paola » October 4th, 2014, 10:46 am

Hello! Thank you! I appreciate the support from you both! I attached a picture of something easier that I did attempt! So there's hope! LOL
For sure, I need lots of practice!
Have a great weekend! (guess what I'll be doing!!)
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paola

Postby Gigi » October 4th, 2014, 10:49 am

That is fabulous and way more complicated than I ever would have attempted as a "newer" user - I would be jumping for joy over cuts like that!!

Cannot wait to see what else you come up with - your experimenting is clearly working!! Have fun learning practicing (not that you need much of that!) this weekend!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » October 6th, 2014, 10:53 am

oooooh ... That is more beautiful than the sample. I love it!!!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Paola » October 7th, 2014, 11:31 am

Thank you Elizabeth! You are so nice in this forum! :)
I have another question: what exactly would I use the click blade for vs. detail blade or the regular blade?
Paola

Postby Elizabeth » October 7th, 2014, 2:00 pm

The click blade and regular blade are interchangeable. Some people prefer the ease of setting the blade depth with the click blade as opposed to the more flexible settings on the regular blade. I like them both, and keep one with a 60 degree blade, and one with a 45. The detail blade is marvelous for more intricate cuts, like the lacy pattern you are cutting.

I'm glad you are finding the forum to be a nice place to be!

Elizabeth

Postby Paola » October 8th, 2014, 10:43 am

Thank you Elizabeth! :)
Paola

Postby kim » October 9th, 2014, 12:55 pm

oooohhh, I love that second invitation!!! You should be able to make those cuts, I would think. But as everyone says, it is best to get to know your machine first. Once you get used to your machine and get a bad cut, you can usually just tweek your machine and get the good cuts. You will know what to do. It is when learning your machine that the stress levels go up because you have many things wrong and don't know what to do. In that, it is the simple cuts that work best (less things to go wrong) and then build up to the complicated.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby RedPunchDesign » October 26th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Paola wrote:Hello! Thank you! I appreciate the support from you both! I attached a picture of something easier that I did attempt! So there's hope! LOL
For sure, I need lots of practice!
Have a great weekend! (guess what I'll be doing!!)
:)

Can you tell me the paper weight in the second picture? Also the velocity, force, and blade type used? I'm having a terrible time with semi-intricate cuts. I think i'm going to try the 60Ā° Detail Blade. Does anyone have examples of schmancy cuts using this blade?
Thanks!
RedPunchDesign

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » October 27th, 2014, 12:10 am

I rarely use the detail blade on text weight paper unless it is super intricate and challenging -but even then most of the time my regular 45 degree blade can handle it. That being said some use the detail blade for everything - it's a personal preference in many ways. I do use the detail blade when I am cutting something intricate on heavier cardstock...

I have some really intricate cuts on my blog using the regular blade........... it could be the design you are cutting. If there are too many nodes you will have trouble cutting it. Are you cutting files you found online? Not all are created equal... If you are creating your own, have you checked the nodes?

If you want to share a file you are having trouble with and the approximate weight of the paper, one of us would be happy to give it a try and give you feedback. That might be the most helpful thing for you. That way we can see if it is the file and rule that out. Just a thought.........

Gigi
Gigi

Postby RedPunchDesign » October 27th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Gigi,
You're blog looks delicious!! I'll have to revisit often just for the recipes!! The cuts and projects look GREAT!!!! Do you remember the blade and paper weight used on the calendula flower? Simply gorgeous!
I can send my print & cut file for sure this evening. I designed it in Illustrator, there aren't many nodes. The paper is a 100# felt cover stock. They call it felt because it has a slightly bumpy texture and a soft feel to it. I realize that it is a "pulpy" paper, but it cuts nicely when there isn't a smaller intricate cuts.
I did end up ordering the 60 degree detail blade and holder. I'm hopeful that this will be a game changer. I must say that the That's Scrap Shop could use some more descriptive copy and images when it comes to what blades are used for.
RedPunchDesign

Postby Gigi » October 27th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Yes I do remember the calendula flower. I tend to cut those out of text weight paper - the Stardream text weight (or Mica as Paper Temptress calls it) - it cuts like butter when there are intricate patterns. I used the regular 45 degree blade and a force of 44. Will see if she has the weight on her website but it's heavier than copy paper but not as heavy as card stock! (not very technical I know!)

I have some felt paper similar to what you describe (not felt but textured and a little pulpy) - but have not tried an intricate cut with it. That may be the problem as pulpy or fibrous paper could be challenging with smaller detailed cuts. I will try to remember to try it later to see what happens. It is also from Paper Temptress and all of her papers cut very well........ happy to give it a try.

And remember - there is a learning curve and a lot of it is trial and error. I hope the detail blade will be the answer for you as well. If you go to http://www.silverbulletcutters.com you can see a lot more examples of all kinds of cuts - both in photos and videos too.

Thanks for the kind comments about the blog. Have quite a few more recipes and card projects to post. Tis the season!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby RedPunchDesign » October 27th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Ahhhh I see! Yeah I tend to use 100 lb cardstock for most projects. I think I should dip into a lighter weight and do a solid backing. I hardly use the 45 degree blade so I could get some use out of it!
Hopefully this new detail blade will work with the felt card stock! If it doesn't, it will be back to the drawing board.
Funny how the holiday season for us "crafty types" starts in October! :)
RedPunchDesign

Postby Elizabeth » October 28th, 2014, 9:12 am

RedPunchDesign You might want to experiment with the multi-cut feature in SCAL for your "pulpy" paper. I find that it often helps to do two passes at roughly half the force on these types of papers. I almost always use the 45 degree blade. Just my personal preference.

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » October 28th, 2014, 10:11 am

Thanks Elizabeth - such good advice. :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Paola » November 3rd, 2014, 11:05 pm

Hi RedPunchDesign!

You wrote:
"Can you tell me the paper weight in the second picture? Also the velocity, force, and blade type used? I'm having a terrible time with semi-intricate cuts. I think i'm going to try the 60Ā° Detail Blade. Does anyone have examples of schmancy cuts using this blade?"

So sorry it took me so long to get back to you! As for the information you requested, the cardstock I used for this test was 110lb (297gsm), pretty smooth paper. I cut it with a v=565 and f=140 2 passes.
I used the 60 degree regular blade.

I have not cut much with the detail blade. I still have much to learn though!
I think the advice that Elizabeth and Gigi is very valuable!

Thanks!
Paola

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help