Card Stock Help

Card Stock Help

Postby Leslihill » August 16th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Hi I Have been cutting for a few days with my Silver Bullet. I was already using SCAL so I just plugged it in and started back to work.

I am cutting an image that I have cut out in the past. I cannot get it to cut. I have tried both blades and many settings. My paper is brayed down. I have tried different paper.

Any suggestions on what settings I should use to cut this? It is tearing the triangles as it makes the turn on them.

Of course this is for an order and Im on a deadline :banghead:

TIA
Lesli ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leslihill

Cutter: Silver Bullet 15"

Re: Card Stock Help

Postby Gigi » August 16th, 2014, 5:29 pm

What kind of paper are you using? Is it humid where you are as that can affect your cuts. Be sure your blade isn't slipping and that you are using the setting tool. Also be sure your blade is not chipped although you said you changed blades. Be sure there are not stray fibers caught in the blade holder and that it is securely in there. Sounds like your blade may be dragging?

Also slow down the speed a little - or speed it up - changing the speed can help. I often get more complicated cuts faster. What size are you cutting the design. Leaving in a bit so probably won't be able to check back for a few hours at least.....
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Leslihill » August 17th, 2014, 11:01 am

I am having the same problem with any thing I cut that has a sharp turn. when making the turn it tears the paper instead of cutting it. There is not any stray fibers until after they tear. I did use the blade tool and have checked the blade. I am having this problem with both blades on all types of paper, scrapbook, card stock.
I am trying to cut out letters now and for example when it makes the "V" in the bottom of a Capital R is tears it. The "V" in the N tears. anything that has a "V" or triangle shape.

I tried adjusting the blade offset. Still the same problem. I have tried different speeds and and different pressures and still the same problem.

I also applied the re-nu to my mat to make sure my paper was down tight.

Very frustrated.

The design I was cutting yesterday overall was a 6" square. now I am trying to cut letters in 4" height. They are blocky letters.

Thanks
Lesli
Leslihill

Postby Gigi » August 17th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Did you check the font to see if it has a lot of nodes? That is so often the problem - and as we have all said, most fonts are created to print not cut and they can be problematic.

A trick Ducky taught me years ago when doing anything pointed is to enlarge the file so you can easily see the corners, and move the nodes so you have a slightly rounded corner instead of a 90 degree angle. When cut, it will look sharp, but the cut will actually be rounded making it easier on the machine to cut. Sharp tight angles can tear if there are a lot of nodes.......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LisaH » August 19th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Leslihill try raising your blade holder ever so slightly. By chance, are you using Bazzil?
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Leslihill » August 27th, 2014, 5:22 pm

I ordered new blades, my blade was only a week old, and tables. Once installed it cut perfectly. The design is cleaner than it has ever been. Must have been something with the blade.

Thanks!
Leslihill

Postby Elizabeth » August 27th, 2014, 9:14 pm

It is very typical to go through a few blades while learning. Cutting with too much force and dragging the blade on the mat is one way to damage them. My biggest mistake was striking the blade on the edge of the mat or my material when setting the origin. Now that I have lots of experience, my blades last a long, long time. (I still keep a couple of extras on hand.)

Have fun learning to use your amazing new Silver Bullet!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » August 28th, 2014, 3:07 pm

GIgi and Elizabeth, do you think changing the offset would help?
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Elizabeth » August 28th, 2014, 4:40 pm

kim Looks like the new blade solved her problem. I admit to knowing almost nothing about blade offsets. I know the purpose of them, but have never, ever changed an offset from the default setting. Sometime I'm sure I'll need to learn more!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby kim » August 28th, 2014, 5:42 pm

That's me. I haven't changed mine but know that it can cause some bad corners. That's why I asked instead of stated. :hide: It's not something that I am really familiar with.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Leslihill » August 28th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Is there anywhere that has a general guide on blade pressure etc for different media? That would be so helpful. I know it can vary but starting points would be great.

Thanks
Leslihill

Postby Gigi » August 28th, 2014, 7:38 pm

It is in the learning center under FAQ
http://learn.silverbulletcutters.com/fa ... -my-media/

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » August 29th, 2014, 7:50 am

I don't think the offset needs to be changed, but what could help is to zoom way in to the corners, and edit the nodes so they are more curved. Even a little bit of a curve will help with the sharp corners, and it isn't noticeable when you have it cut out.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help