Cutting paper adhered to chipboard

Cutting paper adhered to chipboard

Postby Cheryldec » July 12th, 2014, 9:07 am

I am fairly new to the wonders of the SB, and I have a question regarding chipboard and paper. My hope is to adhere paper to chipboard before cutting shapes and letters. Does anyone have a best practice for doing this? What adhesive do you use? Any recommended settings? Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheryl DeCristofaro
Asheville, NC
Owner of a 13" Silver Bullet
Cheryldec

Cutter: Silver bullet 13"

Re: Cutting paper adhered to chipboard

Postby Gigi » July 12th, 2014, 9:33 am

All chipboard is not created equal (!), so as far as settings go, it is dependent on the thickness and density of the chipboard along with the humidity. And then of course you add the paper and adhesive to the mix which add additional depth, so test cutting is going to be your best bet.

I usually apply after, but I would think running it through a xyron would give you great solid coverage (but would be expensive if you are doing a lot) or a good spray adhesive would be your best bet for good coverage that doesnt buckle. I love the Crafters Companion line of products.........
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Cheryldec » July 12th, 2014, 10:10 am

Thanks Gigi! I am concerned about the expense, so I will try Crafters Companion. I read everything I could on chipboard, so I will be prepared to test cut. One question, though, can you set up a test cut (using the machine function) to multi cut? In other words, can you set up a test cut with specific settings?
Cheryldec

Postby Gigi » July 12th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Not sure I am going to answer your question correctly, but the test cut button is based on what settings you put in the machine - so it responds to the pressure setting as that is the one you are most concerned with - you want a clean cut. So yes you can set up the settings, but it won't multicut automatically on the test cut. You can however just keep hitting the test button as it will stay in the same place and do a manual multicut. Does that answer your question?

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Thyme » July 13th, 2014, 12:56 am

It won't stay in the same place, it moves automatically to a new position behind the first cut. If you need to test with multicut then you will need to test cut through the software instead
Thyme

Postby Gigi » July 13th, 2014, 1:19 am

Thanks Dawn. I never realized that it moved up a little until you said that. When I have to adjust because the force isnt high enough I automatically move it down and because it was lined up , I didn't notice that it had moved up on its own. Good to know - thanks!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Thyme » July 13th, 2014, 4:09 am

You're welcome
Thyme

Postby Cheryldec » July 13th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Thanks everyone!
Cheryldec

Postby ekshane » July 6th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Re cutting through chipboard: I am trying to cut hardback book covers, which are basically 3-cm-deep chipboards with paper glued on the back and front. I've ordered a 60" long blade since 2 regular 60s have so far broken on me. Am I correct in understanding that for a dense material like this, I should use settings with a slow velocity and high force? Can anyone confirm a good balance using Sure Cuts a Lot software?
ekshane

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby Gigi » July 6th, 2017, 1:40 pm

No we do not recommend a higher force but rather a multipass cut at a lower force for the chipboard as you will get better cleaner cuts going over it 2-3 times depending on the density of the chipboard and the intricacy of the cut(s). Do a test cut (make your own little rectangle so you can do a multi cut to see what you need) to determine the best for the chipboard that you are using. I would have recommended cutting the paper separately and then adhering it as that could complicate things depending on how well the paper is adhered and with what medium - but trial and error should be your best "teacher".

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help