Engraving Beginer! Help!

Engraving Beginer! Help!

Postby fagan339 » June 26th, 2014, 3:02 pm

I have never engraved before but I do have my engraving tool. Can someone please explain from start how to use this tool? Also can I use it in SCAL like I do when Im cutting? & And is there any specific metals I should stay away from when attempting this?
fagan339

Cutter: Silver Bullet Proffesional 24'

Re: Engraving Beginer! Help!

Postby Gigi » June 26th, 2014, 4:03 pm

You can search engraving and find lots of information already on the forum.

As previously mentioned in other threads, you will need to download the plug in called Eggbot for Inkscape (both free) to create a hatch fill for engraving. There are also hatchfills in other programs like Corel Draw.

Yes you can use the engraving tool in SCAL but would have to create the hatch fill engraving in another program - for now.

You can also google engraving on the Silver Bullet and go to www.silverbulletcutters.com to see examples of engraving and some videos that will give you a feel for it.

I believe Penny has a video on her blog of the machine engraving and Lisa may as well - trying to remember!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » June 26th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Penny Duncan has some pretty sample engraving files available on her blog: http://pennyduncancreations.blogspot.com/ You will find them in her free cut files link, under samples.

I purchased a lovely set of engraving files some time ago from Lisa Howell. I'm not sure if they are still available, but to me it was so very much easier than creating my own!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » June 26th, 2014, 6:39 pm

The metals I use for engraving are aluminum and copper. I have a bronze sheet but I haven't tried it yet. Baseically you want the metal soft enough to have the tool able to engrave so something like steel is harder to engrave....you don't see the engraving as well. Typer (ALL THAT JAZZ) has both aluminum and copper that are perfect for engraving......I bought from him and love the stuff. If the metal is really soft, you have the look of embossing more than engraving. Loike I said, TYler has tested and knows and carries the metals best suited for engraving. When I wanted a loarger sheet of copper for a certain project, I ordered the copper online (home improvement store) but I don't have a clue what the guage of the copper was.

I love to engrave....it is one of my favorite things to do.
I took that large sheet of copper and put a patina on it (green verdigris) and then engraved. Even though a comedy of errors occurred in the making of the project (MTC didn't finish the engraving process, spilt rubber glue), the project turned out beautiful.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help