Puffy Foam

Puffy Foam

Postby aliciaretired » March 12th, 2014, 6:08 pm

I'm sorry to ask another question, but I have to get my fix everyday :banghead: I am trying to cut puffy foam I used Penney Duncan's tip sheet, that didn't work, saw YouTube, got the settings that didn't work. My last try was 60 long in regular holder, V200 and F 190 (the last time, started out at 70) even making cut twice, it hardly penetrates the foam. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
aliciaretired

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Re: Puffy Foam

Postby Thyme » March 12th, 2014, 6:11 pm

If it is normal 2mm fun foam then I suggest trying a new blade as you should not need that degree of force
Thyme

Postby aliciaretired » March 12th, 2014, 6:27 pm

it's a brand new blade, first time using it. yes its the normal 2mm
aliciaretired

Postby Gigi » March 12th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Did you check your blade setting? Could you have it too high above the foam ? Dawn is so right - you should not need that much force!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby aliciaretired » March 12th, 2014, 7:17 pm

OK got it to work. I lowered the blade a little, secured the foam with tape (I think it was moving), cut it at V200 F140, worked perfect. Thank you both so much. Tomorrow I think I will try fabric, stand by, LOL
aliciaretired

Postby Elizabeth » March 12th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Wow! I admire your adventurous spirit!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby aliciaretired » March 12th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Yes Elizabeth, I decided I want to know what settings and blades to use and how to cut all these different materials, so when I decide what I'm going to make I don't have to spend a lot of time figuring it all out. Besides I'm not one to quit when something isn't going right, I dig in the heal sang go for it. It's fun for sure.
aliciaretired

Postby Elizabeth » March 13th, 2014, 7:59 am

All of the time you put in experimenting now will pay off in the future, as eventually you will just "know" the correct settings for all of your materials. (Unless you get a new cutter, or switch blade holders. I recently did both of these at once, and am loving relearning and carefully recording all of my settings!) It is so nice when you have a solid idea of the correct starting point for your machine, and then just have to fine tune a bit to get perfect cuts right away.

It's been a while since I cut fun foam. Maybe I will cut some stamps this weekend.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby PennyDuncan » March 13th, 2014, 8:58 am

Yep....so many of us have had and do have that same mindset....that's how we've all gained all our knowledge of all the different mediums you can manipulate!!! This is TRULY an amazing machine and the only one of it's kind on the market......that's why it's so important to take all the time needed to become friends with your new buddy!!! After a while of using it and getting the feel for it...when you're out shopping you'll come across things and you'll think to yourself...."Hummmmmmmmmm.....I bet I can do such and such with this with the SB".....it's really alot of fun!!!!! ;)
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Re: Puffy Foiam

Postby aliciaretired » March 13th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Elizabeth what kind of stamps do you cut with fun foam? Sounds interesting. Any links to see what you're talking about?
aliciaretired

Postby Elizabeth » March 13th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Here's a video from Michaels.http://www.michaels.com/How-to-Make-Your-Own-Craft-Foam-Stamp-featuring-Aleenes-Turbo-Tacky-Glue/HbFS1Vm3070,default,pg.html

I'm sure that there are lots more. I don' remember where I first saw this idea. I initially used double tape and stuck the foam to my acrylic stamping blocks, but it was a bit messy. I really like the idea of using the foam core, as is shown in the video.

Elizabeth

Postby metalart » June 14th, 2015, 6:10 am

Hello all, first question on this forum! I have been cutting some 2mm fun foam using the 60 deg. long blade, using settings similar to those posted here. Although I am able to cut all the way through with ease, I am getting cuts along the traverse lines as the machine jumps from one section to another. These cuts do not extend all the way through to the mat. This leaves me to wonder how the Z axis of the cutter is adjusted? Is it incorporated into the force settings?
Any suggestions?
Mark
metalart

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » June 14th, 2015, 10:59 am

It sounds to me like your blade is extended too far out. I would adjust that and see if it solves the cuts in the material as the machine is moving from one cut to another.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » June 14th, 2015, 2:03 pm

That was my first thought too - that the blade is too far out (or the blade holder is setting too far down resulting in the blade sitting too far down.)
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby metalart » June 14th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Thanks Gigi!
I tweeked the knife projection and the problem went away. Also, I'm experimenting with using the killer embossing machine I recently fabricated (in real life I own a custom metal fabricating shop) to actually compress 2mm fun foam down to a somewhat denser 1mm version, and it is showing promise. I'll post some pics soon.
Mark
metalart

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » June 14th, 2015, 6:15 pm

You are welcome Mark.

Would love to see what you are working on -

Gigi
Gigi