How to download/save svg files from other web sites

How to download/save svg files from other web sites

Postby scrapperanonymous » January 23rd, 2014, 4:18 pm

I need help! There are so many free svg files from other people and websites other than sure cuts a lot. I need help learning how to download/save these files to my computer so I can import them into my SCAL software. Is there anybody out there who can help me please?! :banghead:
scrapperanonymous

Cutter: Proud Owner of a 13" Silver Bullet

Re: How to download/save svg files from other web sites

Postby kim » January 23rd, 2014, 5:37 pm

I didn't get any sleep last night so this may be my brain not working, but I am not understanding what you are asking. Different people/sites have different methods for downloading the files. Or are you asking about organizing the fiels that we download?
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby scrapperanonymous » January 23rd, 2014, 6:52 pm

Hi Kim, you understand completely! Say, a site that pins things and has free svg designs offers it to the public. I click to go the that svg design and then what do I do? How do I get it? I need a buck for the front of my hunting scrapbook and I can't seem how to get it. Also, if it is offered in a different format, then my computer tells me that I don't have a program to open it. I am soooo frustrated! I got the silver bullet with the understanding that I could pretty much get any image I need unless it is copyrighted.
scrapperanonymous

Postby kim » January 23rd, 2014, 7:16 pm

Well, that is the sticky part....different sites have different ways to download the files. Some are really easy and you just click the link and the download begins. Some you click, then right click and save as. Some use different sites, can't think of any offhand right now, but the page will have several "download" buttons. THen you have to figure out which one to click because mose will only be to download some program. I hate those. And then some will have a "free" way or a faster "pay for" way. I always go the free way and just take the extra 20 seconds or so.

If you need a buck image, I have several. I don't remember where I got them but I do know that I didn't purchase any of them. I am assuming, buck as in deer.
kim

Postby kim » January 23rd, 2014, 7:22 pm

If you do a seach on the internet for scroll saw patterns free, there are several of bucks. I think that is where I got some of mine.
kim

Postby Elizabeth » January 24th, 2014, 6:56 am

If you are having trouble finding your downloaded SVGs once you have downloaded them, check your "downloads" folder. That is the default location for Windows. (assuming you are using Windows?) Most SVGs come in "zipped" files. I click on the zipped file to open it, then move the SVG file to a different file for organizational purposes. In SCAL, I click the SVG import button and navigate to the folder where my SVGs are, and then click on the SVG file that I want. It appears on my virtual mat, ready for editing or cutting.

Tracing images to make SVGs is another option. I'll let someone else explain this process, as I typically use a different software for this task.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby LisaH » January 24th, 2014, 9:47 am

Here are 3 I did really quickly this morning
Buck3MOMC1242014.svg

Buck2MOMC1242014.svg

buck1MOMC1242014.svg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby scrapperanonymous » January 24th, 2014, 1:46 pm

To all who have responded, I thank you all very much for the help as well as the offer of free art and websites!
Elizabeth, I know how to find the file once it is saved to my pc, the problem comes when it is in a different format and SVGVIEW says it installed but then I don't know where it went! :banghead: Do you mind telling me what software you use to trace your images? I am such a newbie on this machine! Lol. Does anyone have any sites for free svg files or know how I can find them? KIM, I did look for free scroll saw patterns so my next question is how do I get them to my computer since the only way I see is to print them, then what do I need to do?

Again, thank you all and this probably won't be my only post! Laurie
Last edited by scrapperanonymous on January 24th, 2014, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scrapperanonymous

Postby Elizabeth » January 24th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Hi Laurie. I use Make the Cut for tracing images. I find it to be the easiest software for tracing. I love SCAL for cutting, though. I'm not familiar with SVG View, so I can't help you there. You will get it all sorted out. We are here to help.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby scrapperanonymous » January 24th, 2014, 3:18 pm

Thanks Elizabeth! Do you know if it is compatible with the Silver Bullet?
scrapperanonymous

Postby kim » January 24th, 2014, 7:13 pm

MTC is compatible with the SB but I would suggest using the KNK plugin rather than the Black Cat Cougar. Andy never has updated the plugins and so we are left with the KNK, which works fine with the SB, as being the latest plugin and has the better PNC feature. I have both MTC and SCAL, but have used MTC longer and am more familiar with it.
kim

Postby kmmhug » January 24th, 2014, 9:04 pm

There are lots of sites that offer free SVG files. Here are a few to get you started:

http://www.birdscards.com/
http://www.fam-bjork.se/monicas-hobbysi ... _robo.html
and of course our Own Penny Duncan https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4imgoxclrwc46dw/0AHD0kl9V9
Last edited by kmmhug on February 5th, 2014, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby scrapperanonymous » January 28th, 2014, 10:54 am

Kathy, thank you!!!! Everyone has been wonderful on helping me!! I can't thank everyone enough! I can't wait to try these sites out! Laurie
scrapperanonymous

Postby kmmhug » January 28th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Your welcome! :)
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help