blade setting tool

blade setting tool

Postby Mel67 » December 23rd, 2013, 3:13 pm

I have the Lynx and use the original blade holder as well as the blue clickable blade holder. I love the ease of the clickable holder but the blade is too far out even on "1" to use on an intricate design or on vinyl. I understand that there often needs to be adjustments made to the clickable blade holder possibly with the blade tool holder tool??

I would appreciate any help so that the clickable holder is more useable!!

TIA - Merry Christmas!
Mel67

Re: blade setting tool

Postby Thyme » December 23rd, 2013, 4:28 pm

You need a little allen key. Between the numbers 2 and 3 there is an allen screw. Loosen this a little (not too much or it will all fall apart) then if you push down the plunger on the top you will see that it reveals a slot for a flathead screwdriver. When the allen screw is loosened this can be turned to extend or retract the blade. Once you have the blade as you wish then tighten up the allen screw again.
Do bear in mind that that if you retract the blade then the blade will show less on all the settings.
Thyme

Postby Elizabeth » December 23rd, 2013, 6:29 pm

I like to adjust my blade at the 3 setting for normal use, then I can adjust it up (for heavier cardstock or cereal weight chipboard) or down ( text weight paper or vinyl). That is what works best for me. I use the click holder with a 45 degree blade almost exclusively. (I keep my 60 degree blade in my original holder.)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Mel67 » December 24th, 2013, 1:54 am

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try!
Mel67

Postby Mel67 » March 15th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Finally had time.. and brave enough to give this a try to set my clickable blade holder. Trying to arrive at 1 to work for vinyl. It is still out too far. Any suggestions?? I would like to get 1 set for vinyl and then 3 or 4 would be good for cardstock. So far it is still 2 for cardstock so I'm not getting it retracted enough for 1 to be at a good setting for vinyl. Thanks for any help!
Mel67

Postby Mel67 » March 15th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Also noticed some talk about using a blade setting tool?? I have a Lynx. I always heard using a CD to blade the blade holder. Is that still needed? Is there an actual tool? Can you just put the blade holder in the carriage?? Still learning...
Mel67

Postby Gigi » March 16th, 2014, 12:21 am

Have you adjusted the click blade holder so your blade doesn't stick out too far?? You can go to the learning center to see how to adjust it if you have not done that already. http://blackcatus.com/learn/?page_id=2428

There is a lot of flexibility with the click blade holder. Some move it for whatever different weight they are cutting; some have it on 1 or 2 most of the time and just change the force. It is about what works best for you - there is no hard and fast rule.

There is a blade setting tool that was shipped with the Silver Bullets. It was not designed until then. You can certainly use the cd system. I would think two cds might be a little closer - I just matched that to my blade setting tool. Someone please correct me if you disagree. The bottom line is you want to be sure the blade is above the media enough but not too much. And no - you cannot just put the blade holder in the clamp as most of the time it will be down too low. That is the point of adjusting it. After a while you can just view it with your eye and know pretty closely. A lot of this becomes second nature over time.

Hope that helps.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kb25t17 » March 16th, 2014, 3:52 am

removed as a courtesy to those who do not like seeing math
Last edited by kb25t17 on March 20th, 2014, 11:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
kb25t17

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24

Postby kb25t17 » March 16th, 2014, 4:31 am

removed as a courtesy to those who find the use of math to be offensive
Last edited by kb25t17 on March 20th, 2014, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kb25t17

Postby kb25t17 » March 16th, 2014, 5:35 am

removed as a courtesy for those who find math to be offensive in postings
Last edited by kb25t17 on March 20th, 2014, 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kb25t17

Postby Suzan » March 16th, 2014, 7:47 am

Gigi I use 1 cd, but I like my blade out a little farther, and I like my blade holder more flush against the thingy it goes in. I know I am so technically proper. But then I cut a lot rhinestone flock and have cut cardstock maybe 2 times in the past year. It helps with the blade out just a tad further to not pick the flock dots up so easy. Now others may not want their blade out as far so 2 cd's might work.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » March 16th, 2014, 10:34 am

LOL on the thingy Suzan. I remember years ago when we did the cd, but it has been so long I really couldn't remember. I guess we become accustomed to what works for each of us.

I have never cut rhinestone flock. I know I need to stay away from it or I will be forever addicted to yet one more thing and I am trying to decrease not increase my craft room stash!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :hide:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Mel67 » March 16th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the info! I checked out the Learning Center, made adjustments and will make sure I use the CDs to put it in the carriage. Thx Back to experimenting!!
Mel67

Postby LisaH » March 18th, 2014, 1:48 am

kb25t17 wrote:The click blade holders are meant to take s the guess work out of blade depth setting. But since the people selling the tool have not posted the specific information related to the distance of movement per click that lack of essential information in the instructions for the tool is creating further frustration. So here is the information that hopefully will find its way into the manual. Each of those clicks represents a tenth of a millimeter, 0.10mm of change of blade depth.

The distance of movement per one full revolution of the adjustment screw in any of the blade holders equals the pitch of the screw. Not all blade holders have the same size of adjustment screw so the pitch may vary with different blade holders.

The click blade holder being sold for the Silver Bullet has a thread pitch of .5 and it is a metric screw. That means the blade will move .5 millimeters for each full revolution of the holder. The numbers on this holder are 1 thru 6, which means 5 adjustments in length can be made from the starting position, a .1mm move per click. If you put the blade flush with the end of the holder while the pointer is on the number 1 then you will move .1mm for each click you make and at #6 position the blade will be extended to .5mm.

If you have the blade extended 1mm when you are on number 1 then you will be at 1.5mm when you are at #6.

But that leaves us with no clicks between .5mm and 1mm or does it? The trick to get to those adjustments is to have the blade extended to 1mm when you are on the #6. Now you can retract the blade back in and subtract length to get to those other .1mm steps between .5mm and 1mm.

Now lets calculate a sample cut on a piece of material with a known thickness for example chipboard that is .02 inches thick.
We first convert .02 inches to millimeters which equals .508 mm. That means if I start with my blade flush at zero on the number one I can't cut all the way through it when I reach .5 mm at the full revolution as my blade won't be extended far enough. Therefore I should start with my blade extended 1 millimeter at the number 6 then move it backwards to retract the blade by .1mm per click until I reaches position #2. So what I am doing is subtracting .4mm from 1mm which then equals .6 mm in blade extension length.

Now if I wanted to cut some clear Graphix plastic that measures .007 inches, which equals .178 mm then I would have my blade zeroed flush with the end of the holder when I was at #1 and then move the holder to click on the number 3. A movement change which equals .2mm. Hopefully that should just cut through the material without cutting too far into the mat.

Hopefully this information will make its way into the BC learning center files on the Click Blade holder.

Not meaning to offend anyone here, but...
You are more than welcome to go through all of this math if you choose to, but for most general users, looking at the blade and making sure it is extended approximately 1mm from the holder and 1.5 mm above the media when the holder is in the machine is accurate enough. Unless you are machining something, the detailed calculations are so much more than an average user needs - even most users that are in the Ivy League schools that have purchased this machine for their school don't try to get this in depth with the calculations. ;)
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby kb25t17 » March 18th, 2014, 1:50 pm

No offense taken and I understand that many women don't like to do math. The US treasury says the thickness of a dime is not 1mm it is 1.35mm.
Last edited by kb25t17 on March 22nd, 2014, 5:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
kb25t17

Postby LisaH » March 18th, 2014, 4:49 pm

The person that is not the creator can always create better than the original, at least in their own opinion.

I have had no issues cutting extremely detailed cuts or thin (tissue paper) with the original holder or the click blade...I guess I don't need the "numbers" to be successful at using them...and a lot less time taken up trying to get a detailed "number" system than a detailed cut. :D
LisaH

Postby PennyDuncan » March 18th, 2014, 5:16 pm

I totally agree with you Lisa!!! I personally have been quite successfully utilizing my Black Cat Cougar then Silver Bullet Cutter for SEVERAL years by using my my method of measuring and have have no issues.........so I say if what you're doing works......then you have a solution that works for you!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby sherri » March 18th, 2014, 6:35 pm

I have to weigh in on this....we have NOT had problems with the click blade holder...regardless of the mathematical equations you are suggesting we use. New users are getting REALLY confused and my mailbox is FULL of questions that are creating quite a fuss. I am going to ask you to email me privately. You and I can work on these things and I APPRECIATE all of your insight but it is too much for even the seasoned users. So the new users are getting really upset with me thinking I have somehow not done something right with the machine or the tools or the instructions...so PLEASE let's take this to a private email to me ( I know I have one I have not gotten around to responding to, but it is becasue I am trying to get to all the confused NEW users) and you and I can work on something if changes need to be made. Although I RARELY ever comment on posts on the forum as I feel people need to have the freedom to share anything they like I am getting too bogged down and cannot respond to all and I need your help to stop them from questionoing everything. You have some valid points but some of these same ladies responding have been around for a LONG time and www.silverbulltcutters.com shows all the things they have cut from tissue paper to leather without changing these things so they have valid points as well. I am sorry to do this here but it is the best way for everyone to get it all at one time. I am only one person and I have spent the entire day not doing my job but answering confusing questions that are gettign MORE confusing. Thank you ALL! I will get back to you if I feel there are changes warranted.
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Gigi » March 18th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Thank you, Sherri!

Gigi
Gigi