cutting metal clay and polymer clay

cutting metal clay and polymer clay

Postby Moggie12 » December 11th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Hello.
I am the excited new owner of a Silver Bullet and intend using my cutter to make delicate cutouts and engravings on metal clay and polymer clay for jewellery. This has been done already on the Cricut cutter (not by me) and I'm busily researching and trying to apply these ideas to be able to do even greater things on the 'Bullet'. I am VERY keen to make contact with anyone who is already doing this to exchange ideas and 'trials, errors and successes'. I live in Australia and sometimes have difficulty accessing the products and materials I need. Is there anyone out there? Would love to have a 'go-to on-line buddy'. Cheers, Morag
Moggie12

Cutter: Sibullet13

Re: cutting metal clay and polymer clay

Postby Elizabeth » December 12th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Hi Morag. Welcome to the forum! I don't know of anyone who has done what you are looking to do, but it sounds very exciting to me. I would love to experiment, and have all of the necessary tools and materials to get started (I think). The only thing I am lacking at the is time. I am totally booked until after the holidays.

If you get a chance to start before then, keep us posted on your progress. I would love to hear how it goes for you!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby suemcnenly » January 9th, 2014, 8:10 am

Hi there. I am also a metal clay artist and just purchased the silver bullet to cut metal clay. I'm doing an online class on Craftcast.com in early march that will have a bit about using the silhouette cameo for metal clay, but the tips will be transferable to this machine. I'll be receiving my machine shortly and will then get experimenting:). So happy I discovered this machine!

Sue
http://Www.suemcnenly.ca
suemcnenly

Postby MeFlick » January 9th, 2014, 10:44 am

Welcome to both of you newbies. You have gotten a great machine! I look forward to seeing what you do with them! I am off to check out the Craftcast site as I have not heard of it before! TFS!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Elizabeth » January 9th, 2014, 2:46 pm

OMG, Sue! I just visited your website and blog. Your work is amazing. Those sheep are absolutely darling!!!!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby Retta » January 9th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Sue, you are an extremely talented lady!!!!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby suemcnenly » January 10th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Wow....this is certainly an encouraging place:) Thanks! Anyway, re the original question on this post, I cut Silver metal clay on the Silhouette Cameo all the time, so if you need any questions answered feel free to ask. When my SB machine arrives I'll start experimenting on the settings with it...the only diff will be the pressure and velocity settings.
suemcnenly

Postby kmmhug » January 11th, 2014, 12:11 am

This idea really interests me, for jewelry making. Would you be willing to provide a link to the clay you are using?
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby suemcnenly » January 12th, 2014, 4:26 pm

kmmhug....I use PMC3. If you just google 'metal clay', there will be gazillions of hits. There are so many clays now that it's not even worth my while to try to explain in detail, but, long story short, the clay is made up of pure silver (or whatever clay you're using) particles and a binder and water. It works like clay, so you create something then let it dry. When it's in the kiln, everything but the binder burns away and the silver fuses together so you're left with a pure metal object. When it is rolled out thin it can behave like paper, so can be cut on die cutters. That's the REALLY short version:)
suemcnenly

Postby kmmhug » January 13th, 2014, 12:27 am

I am definitely going to have to look into this. I have a kiln and that really sounds interesting!
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby MeFlick » January 13th, 2014, 1:30 pm

suemcnenly - as a craft tool "collector" - I have looked at various processes that require the use of the smaller kilns but have never jumped onto one of those YET. Like Kathy - I am intrigued with the silver clay (and other metal clays they have come out with) and the ability to "cut" it with my cutter. One question that I have is is there a particular kiln that is required or needed or will any old kiln do. (realizing of course that there are "small" tabletop size kilns and much larger kilns for doing larger pottery and such!) Thanks.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby suemcnenly » January 13th, 2014, 1:53 pm

Hi MeFlick. BTW...I don't know how to tag you in a msg. Any kiln is fine, as long as it has a controller so you can set the temp and time. There are many small versions out there, and you can even torch fire some clays....so nothing too crazy is necessary. In this blog post about my second kiln, I have a pic of my two kilns, so you can see they are not huge: http://suemcnenly.blogspot.ca/2012/12/k ... welry.html

sue
suemcnenly

Postby PennyDuncan » January 13th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Gorgeous ART indeed!!! The miniatures are so cute!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby LisaH » January 13th, 2014, 7:51 pm

suemcnenly wrote:Hi MeFlick. BTW...I don't know how to tag you in a msg.

sue

Hi Sue, under the pic/avater on the right-hand side of each post is a little box (or a few) the first little box has the (@) at symbol...click that then the reply and you are ready to go ;)
LisaH

Postby MeFlick » January 13th, 2014, 9:26 pm

suemcnenly - besides what Lisa said (and I don't see a little box with the at symbol- I see one to send a PM (private message), then if they have a website listed, and then a folder if they have an album provided here) - you can simply type the at symbol in front of the userid for the person like I did here for you. (However the at symbol doesn't show it just shows your user id bolded and underlined.)

Thanks for replying. Off to see what Kilns you have. One of those things I think about but haven't decided I could "justify" to myself YET! LOL
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby LisaH » January 13th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Here is the box with the (@) at symbol
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LisaH

Postby Retta » January 14th, 2014, 1:07 am

image.jpg
I don't have the symbol either. Weird !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby LisaH » January 14th, 2014, 11:41 am

That is weird...I have them on my iPhone, my PC Laptop and my iMac...I use Firefox as my browser on everything but my iPhone and I use Safari on there...could that have anything to do with it?
LisaH

Postby Thyme » January 14th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I use Firefox and I don't have them either
Thyme

Postby LisaH » January 14th, 2014, 5:10 pm

well, crud, that's just weird...
LisaH

Next