removing adhesive on pinch wheel

removing adhesive on pinch wheel

Postby Fast_BladerZ » February 4th, 2013, 7:25 pm

just wanna share my experience from trying to remove the adhesive on the pinch wheel but can't get a goo gone on hand. so, I searched for alternative and found that WD40 works. I hope this will help for those who had the same problem like i did.
Last edited by Fast_BladerZ on May 15th, 2013, 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Proud owner of 24" Silver Bullet Pro
Fast_BladerZ

Cutter: silver bullet 24"

Re: removing adhesive on pinch wheel

Postby Elizabeth » February 4th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Thanks, I will file that tip away for when I need it. My hubby always has WD-40 around the house.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » February 4th, 2013, 10:05 pm

I need to go back and check but I think WD 40 was something that caused problems with the rubber wheels - the black started coming off on everything and they were basically eaten away slowly. I could have the wrong product in my mind, but I don't think so. I will try to find the discussion we had about it - it could have been one I had on the phone with Sherri ages ago and not on here but will try to verify.

I would rather say "be careful" until we check than have it cause problems and not say anything. Will try to get the facts asap.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby iggylover » February 4th, 2013, 10:39 pm

I seem to remember something about avoiding WD 40 as well....
iggylover

Postby Fast_BladerZ » February 4th, 2013, 11:14 pm

after gigi's warning i went up on their website to find it out.

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

we are to avoid it on our mats for two reason. first, the mat is made of polycarbonate. and second is to avoid ruining the adhesive.
Proud owner of 24" Silver Bullet Pro
Fast_BladerZ

Cutter: silver bullet 24"

Postby rachellann » February 4th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Elmer's makes a product called sticky out I use sometimes I remove the wheel lever and clean it then make sure to thoroughly check it over before replacing it back on the machine.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby kmmhug » February 5th, 2013, 1:44 am

So is the goo gone safe to use? Just not the WD 40?
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby Gigi » February 5th, 2013, 1:50 am

I just double checked with Sherri. I knew I hadn't made it up in my head!

There was a customer who used WD-40 on their pinch wheels and it not only left black marks on their mat that would not go away but it ate away at the pinch wheels and they had to be replaced. I barely tried it on mine and the black was immediately evident (per Sherri's request).

We do NOT recommend using WD-40 to clean the pinch wheels!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PaulaK » February 5th, 2013, 2:55 am

Hello, all, I'm new and must admit I'm confused on the subject of pinch wheel cleaning. :-)

Here's what confuses me. The learning center tutorial on this says, in one breath, that a paper towel with Goo-Gone works great to clean the pinch wheels, and then practically in the next, warns you to make sure that whatever adhesive remover you use is approved for use on rubber, because using one that isn't could destroy your pinch wheels.

But Goo-Gone is NOT approved for use on rubber. I know this because I was looking for an adhesive cleaner that could take some "melted" velcro adhesive off of a rubber-based, wraparound pickup for my violin last year, and the guy at the hardware store warned me that Goo-Gone wouldn't be a good fit when I showed him what I intended to use the product on. He showed me the place on the bottle where it specifically says, "Do not use on silk, leather, suede or rubber." I have just gone online and double-checked. Here's the text from the manufacturer's own website: http://googone.com/GG-Browse-Products/Goo-Gone-Gallon (See the section that begins "Pre-test in an inconspicuous area.") Goo-Gone isn't approved for use on rubber. If you do a Web search for "Goo-Gone" and "rubber," you'll read people's experience with Goo-Gone acting as a (often unintended!) rubber solvent.

So ... I'm a bit reluctant to use this ... I know that alochol is bad, too ... is there ANY other cleaner you all can recommend that will clean the pinch wheels without dissolving or drying the rubber?

Thanks, everyone! :-)

Paula
PaulaK

Cutter: 24-inch Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » February 5th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Good to know! Thanks for checking it out, Gigi.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » February 5th, 2013, 5:18 pm

PaulaK wrote:Hello, all, I'm new and must admit I'm confused on the subject of pinch wheel cleaning. :-)

Here's what confuses me. The learning center tutorial on this says, in one breath, that a paper towel with Goo-Gone works great to clean the pinch wheels, and then practically in the next, warns you to make sure that whatever adhesive remover you use is approved for use on rubber, because using one that isn't could destroy your pinch wheels.

But Goo-Gone is NOT approved for use on rubber. I know this because I was looking for an adhesive cleaner that could take some "melted" velcro adhesive off of a rubber-based, wraparound pickup for my violin last year, and the guy at the hardware store warned me that Goo-Gone wouldn't be a good fit when I showed him what I intended to use the product on. He showed me the place on the bottle where it specifically says, "Do not use on silk, leather, suede or rubber." I have just gone online and double-checked. Here's the text from the manufacturer's own website: http://googone.com/GG-Browse-Products/Goo-Gone-Gallon (See the section that begins "Pre-test in an inconspicuous area.") Goo-Gone isn't approved for use on rubber. If you do a Web search for "Goo-Gone" and "rubber," you'll read people's experience with Goo-Gone acting as a (often unintended!) rubber solvent.

So ... I'm a bit reluctant to use this ... I know that alochol is bad, too ... is there ANY other cleaner you all can recommend that will clean the pinch wheels without dissolving or drying the rubber?

Thanks, everyone! :-)

Paula

Hi Paula -

I have used Goof Off and it works very well. Had no black coming off or disintegration of the wheels.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » February 5th, 2013, 5:22 pm

I also use goof off with no problems....
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby allandra42 » February 5th, 2013, 5:42 pm

I have stick away by crafters companion. It was recommended by thyme and Tyler. I ordered it online and this stuff rocks for cleaning pinch wheels. I will not run out of this it will be one of those things I order when it is low. You dont have to use a ton and it works perfectly. Tyler also told me how to clean them in a thread here which is awesome. Lesa
http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Away-Adhesi ... stick+away

here is where tyler sent me for directions
http://blackcatus.com/learn/?page_id=700
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » February 5th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Yes, stick away by crafters companion is the one I recommend, I use it all the time on my own machines and it works superbly well and does no damage
Thyme

Postby kim » February 5th, 2013, 6:10 pm

i believe I ordered this stuff when I got the crafters companion blade stuff that makes your blades last longer. I will have to dig it up, but it is something that you may want to consolidate your order.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby PaulaK » February 5th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Wow, thanks for all the terrific advice, everyone! Really appreciate it ... I have some supplies to order. :-)

Paula
PaulaK

Cutter: 24-inch Silver Bullet

Postby jobab » February 5th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Hi
I am in Australia and we can get a product here from supermarkets made by Planet Ark that is called Ă“range Power' made with orange oil and is environmentally friendly it is a pump spray so easy to apply to cotton buds. They make an orange oil goo remover but I have discovered (by inadvertently buying the wrong one) that the air freshner works just as well. I also use this to clean the stick off y mats if I want to strip it back to bare, especially those I have that still have spray glue on them and I want to change it over to Re-Nu and it is much nicer smelling than some of the other goo removers, Maybe you have something similar where you are.

Cheers
Jo
jobab

Cutter: Silver Bullet,Silhouette Cameo,cougar

Postby Gigi » February 6th, 2013, 3:00 am

Thyme wrote:Yes, stick away by crafters companion is the one I recommend, I use it all the time on my own machines and it works superbly well and does no damage

Totally forgot about the Stick Away. I have all of the Crafters Companion Sprays (including the glitters which have NOTHING to do with this conversation but that has never stopped any of us before :shock: ) - and I absolutely LOVE their products.

The Stick Away is awesome. Thanks for reminding me Dawn and Lesa!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help