Newbie needing help cutting vinyl

Newbie needing help cutting vinyl

Postby Jenastara » January 5th, 2013, 7:06 am

Hi all, I just recently got my Silver bullet and I've had great fun cutting paper and board. I think I've got the hang of it and now I'd like to cut vinyl but I cant find any tutorials. Can someone please help?
Jenastara

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: Newbie needing help cutting vinyl

Postby Tyler » January 5th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Set the blade height the same way, just dial down the force (~15-40). You can cut vinyl with or without the mat, though I would recommend using the mat for beginners. You only want enough force to cut through the vinyl layer and not the backing.
Tyler

Postby Suzan » January 5th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Vinyl is a blast without the mat it is amazing. I never thought it was possible. I would test your settings with the test button, you want to cut thru the vinyl but not the backing. Another thing, Test with a word also, I found that using the test button my force was perfect, but when I cut a word I need just a tad more like 1 or 2 more in the force. If cutting without a mat, I load my vinyl from the back lifting all my rollers and align it, then put the rollers down. leave an overhang of about an inch down the front. Now I leave my vinyl on the roll (Less waste that way). But I unroll it quite a bit so it will feed freely. If you need more help just hollar. I have managed to cut a 36" wall quote about 12 inches tall on the roll with no problems at all. Just take it slow and easy at first. And so you will be addicted like many of us. LOL Have fun
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Jenastara » January 5th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Thanks.

Can I use any vinyl or is there a specific type?
Jenastara

Postby newbiecat » January 5th, 2013, 4:05 pm

this is a piece of string question really

sort of depends on what you are trying to achieve - there is vinyl for clothing and vinyl for signs / wall art and other types of vinyl for different applications - let us know what you are trying to achieve and then perhaps we can make recommendations - though oftern things work where they are not meant to

Pandora
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » January 5th, 2013, 5:36 pm

I use both the greenstar and Oracal 631. I use it on walls, tiles, glass blocks. It is a removeable vinyl. Oracal 651 Is more permanent and can be used outdoors for car decals and such. Then there is heat transfer vinyl for clothing, which I know nothing about, and there is also inkjet printable vinyl, which you can print on and then do more of a print and cut. Kind of cool stuff. I have some and have played with it a bit.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help