Newbie Questions... Help so greatly appreciated!

Newbie Questions... Help so greatly appreciated!

Postby Indigo Envelope » June 28th, 2012, 10:57 am

Hey there,

Here are some Newbie questions...

What is a good setting for Bazzill Cardstock?
How do I do multiple passes? (Right now I have SCAL and a Mac version of everything.)
How do I verify my blade is set to the right height? Right now I have the click blade holder and the 60 degree blade in there that says it's good for cardstock.

Thanks!

-- Christina
designer/owner
Indigo Envelope
Indigo Envelope

Re: Newbie Questions... Help so greatly appreciated!

Postby kim » June 28th, 2012, 11:06 am

Someone will be along shortly to help you. I don't use SCAL or Mac and I really haven''t done my click holder. I do know that Bazzill, depending on the texture, is not always the best cardstock to cut with any digital cutter, especially in humid conditions. Of course, that is dependent upon several factors.....detail of cut, humidity, how fibrous the cardstock, etc. To make sure that you get the best cut with the Bazzill, make sure you brayer the cardstock to a sticky mat. I love Bazzill cardstock, but have learned to stay away from it on our 100% humidity days. :D

Sorry I couldn't help you with the rest.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Louise-paisley » June 28th, 2012, 11:24 am

To find the correct force first set the blade correctly as detailed below.. Then position the blade over the media, press origin, set the force to something low to start with (maybe 30) and while offline press test. If the little rectangle is cut out then check for marks on the mat where it cut, if there is more than a very slight scratch the force is too high.

If the rectangle does not cut right through, move the blade to a clear bit of the card, set the origin, increase the force by 10 and test again. repeat this process to find the force which just cuts the card but only scratches the mat below it.

Once you have found the force needed WRITE IT DOWN ON A BIT OF THE CARD. Then next time you come to cut that card you have a sample with the force needed written on it ;)

Repeating a cut I am sure is simply a case of going offline and pressing repeat.. might be different in SCAL but try that and if it does not work as expected let us know.

The length of blade extending out of the holder should be set first, adjust the clicks until the exposed blade length is just a little more than the thickness of the card you intend to cut. You can if you wish just set it to the maximum blade length and be done with it but if you do you will have to be more carefull that you do not use too much force or you will cut holes in your mat!

The blade height is then set by loosening the clamp and lifting the blade holder, put your media on the mat and into the machine. Now place an old CD (NOT ONE YOU NEED) on the media and let the blade holder lower until the blade just touches the CD.. Now carefully tighten the clamp without letting the clamp or the blade holder move and remove the cd.
PC running Windoze 7 - Inkscape + Signcut Pro with dongle - SCAL V3 - Adobe Illustrator CS4
24" Cougar - 24" Silver Bullet Pro
Louise-paisley

Cutter: 24" Cougar

Postby Elizabeth » June 28th, 2012, 11:58 am

Here's another way to check your blade depth.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2225&p=46232&hilit=blade+depth+test#p46232 Look at Retta's response.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Indigo Envelope » June 28th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Thanks! I have done that all, and I think everything is set up correctly.

Still have got to figure out the multiple passes thing. I'm trying to reinstall software and fix my Mac, and then I'm going back to the starter guide. Again!
Indigo Envelope

Postby Indigo Envelope » June 29th, 2012, 8:50 am

In the newer version of SCAL I finally got to upload to my computer, there is a multiple passes function in the cut box that appears, where you can also fiddle with the velocity and pressure. I was able to get very pristine cuts with two passes at a slower speed and lighter pressure. But I also had good results with one pass and a little bit more pressure. This is where the art of learning this comes into play...

Is there a masterful cheat sheet / big list anywhere, where someone has posted settings that are baseline good guides to different materials? Or when seeking community input, do I just search and search? And then, get some extra material for trial and error?
Indigo Envelope

Postby Retta » June 29th, 2012, 8:54 am

Well since each machine cuts differently dependent on all kinds of factors, one being humidity, I really would suggest doing a test cut - with the teset button - for a while on the different materials. Keep a piece and write down what works best for you! including single and multiple passes. I know I've had mine long enough, I rarely have to change much as I don't cut many different things. But, you may find more information someplace. I will say, it gets much easier the longer you do this and it is almost second nature to just kind of "know."

So glad you are getting the results you wanted. I just love my machine and hope now that you are beginning the same journey.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Indigo Envelope » June 29th, 2012, 9:02 am

The test box is really helpful!

Of course, I always set about to push anything to the limit, so generally, what is the thickest thing you can cut with this machine? I've had requests from clients for table numbers / chipboard... Is there a material out there that folks have purchased which is both thick and cuts well?

Adhesive backed stickers, paper, and cardstock -- we've tried those already with success, and despite massive software problems with the version of SCAL that came with the cutter originally... Now our software is updated and working, I know we can get better.

But I'll want to figure out what the parameters are of what we can do...
Indigo Envelope

Postby Angel135612 » June 29th, 2012, 9:07 am

I haven't tried to cut very thick materials, but some people have. I know it can cut chipboard easily, but it also depends on the chipboard. Not all chipboard is created equally. Even papers that are more fibrous don't tend to cut as well as less fibrous papers.. so it would definitely be worth buying extra of something to do some testing on if you are not sure of the settings.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Retta » June 29th, 2012, 9:08 am

I cut chipboard all the time. I've cut the backs of notepads they sell here in the US with ease. Tyler "All That Jazz" link at the top of the page - sells a wonderful chipboard as do others.

They have cut all kinds of things from thin metals, acrylic 1 mm thick and I have some that is 2 - and I've got to see if I can do that. It will have to fit under the blade. But I've not cut all the things that others have. Just know, that usually someone on here will know if you ask.

Sounds like things are on a roll for you and I'm so happy for you.
Retta

Postby Retta » June 29th, 2012, 9:08 am

I cut chipboard all the time. I've cut the backs of notepads they sell here in the US with ease. Tyler "All That Jazz" link at the top of the page - sells a wonderful chipboard as do others.

They have cut all kinds of things from thin metals, acrylic 1 mm thick and I have some that is 2 - and I've got to see if I can do that. It will have to fit under the blade. But I've not cut all the things that others have. Just know, that usually someone on here will know if you ask.

Sounds like things are on a roll for you and I'm so happy for you.
Retta

Postby Louise-paisley » June 29th, 2012, 9:14 am

Indigo Envelope wrote:In the newer version of SCAL I finally got to upload to my computer, there is a multiple passes function in the cut box that appears, where you can also fiddle with the velocity and pressure. I was able to get very pristine cuts with two passes at a slower speed and lighter pressure. But I also had good results with one pass and a little bit more pressure. This is where the art of learning this comes into play...

Is there a masterful cheat sheet / big list anywhere, where someone has posted settings that are baseline good guides to different materials? Or when seeking community input, do I just search and search? And then, get some extra material for trial and error?

Yes, I thought it had the facility to cut multiple times but I could not find it anywhere, they disguised the setting with an incredibly cryptic name which is what threw me.. I mean, come one, how are we expected to know what a setting called Multi-Cut does!!!
PC running Windoze 7 - Inkscape + Signcut Pro with dongle - SCAL V3 - Adobe Illustrator CS4
24" Cougar - 24" Silver Bullet Pro
Louise-paisley

Cutter: 24" Cougar

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help