Foil Master and Tim Holtz Distress Added Photos

Foil Master and Tim Holtz Distress Added Photos

Postby Angel135612 » March 30th, 2012, 12:22 am

I have been taking the Creative Chemistry 101 online classes with Tim Holtz for the past two weeks, and have learned a whole bunch of new things to do with his Distress line of products. It has been a blast... and I keep going back to the techniques from the 2nd day, as they were so much fun and I love the results. I can't explain how to do it, as we were asked not to share anything from the class on forums or blogs... only fair to those that paid for the class. But in general terms, you get the distress ink on your paper, then get water on it.. and you get cool effects. I don't know if he has shown these techniques before, or if there is something similar on You Tube.. but if you know how to use his inks to get the cool distressed looks, then you know what to do.

Well, tonight I was cleaning up my craft table, and came across a couple of foiled hearts that I made at Valentines day, when I was making a card. I didn't like the colors of foil I used for the card I was making, but couldn't make myself throw them out.. they were too pretty. So tonight I tried an experiment... I took the foiled image and my Distress ink pads and used one of the techniques from Day 2 of the class, and got some AMAZING results. The Distress ink won't stick to the foil, so you don't lose your shine, but having the distress look around the image is WOW!!! Now, instead of having a couple of hearts, that were white paper with a foiled heart, I have a couple of really cool looking Distressed hearts to use on another project sometime in the future. Not sure what I will use them on just yet... but now my head is spinning on all the possibilities of foil and distress... so those of you with a Foil Master, you don't have to leave your paper just plain... you can Distress it a la Tim Holtz!!!

I haven't taken pictures of the hearts yet, too dark tonight.. but I will try and get some pictures tomorrow after work and add them to this post.

Also, I had some scrap glitter paper left over from another project, and tried using the Distress inks on them. It was a white paper with iridescent glitter on it, and the paper "took" the ink and colored it nicely... when I tried to "distress" it with water, it didn't quite work the same as normal paper. I think because of a coating that may be used to keep the glitter on the paper. But it still colored it. Also took some Distress Stain, and just wiped that onto the glitter paper.. and that was kind of an interesting effect... not sure if it is something I would want... but it may be something to do more experimenting with. I think the type of glitter paper used may produce different results. I can't wait to have more time to do more of the techniques I learned in the class, and try it on different papers to see what I get.

Those that took the class.. what cool things have you tried, now that you know how to use the products a bit better???
Red Heart.JPG
Gold Heart.JPG
Both Hearts.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Angel135612 on March 30th, 2012, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Foil Master and Tim Holtz Distress

Postby kate3 » March 30th, 2012, 12:45 am

Diane, No fair, I just stocked up on his distress inks. I never kept any of them before but tried one and loved them. I have some foiled hearts I didn't use for Valentines day because of the colour and you won't tell. :banghead:
Where do I find the class? I am not throwing out my pretty foiled hearts that could be gorgeous.
kate3

Re: Foil Master and Tim Holtz Distress

Postby Angel135612 » March 30th, 2012, 7:52 am

Kate today is the last day of class, but I belierrve you can still sign up. There are at least 2 videos each day, one talking about the properties of the different mediums and how to use them and one showing techniques using them. You get lifetime access to the videos if you sign up. There is also a gallery and forum that you can visit. On April 9th, the gallery and forum can not be added to, but you can still go read and see the things people have done using the techniques. Yesterdays class was on Perfect Pearls, and todays is using dimensional mediums, such as Stickles. Other classes delt with alcohol inks, the Distress Stains, sprays, markers and even embossing powders. You can find the registration here http://www.onlinecardclasses.com/ Just look for Creative Chemistry 101 (its the top class listed).

I will be going back to watch the videos over and over because there is so much information in them, I can't absorb it all just watching it once. LOL
Angel135612

Re: Foil Master and Tim Holtz Distress Added Photos

Postby Elizabeth » March 30th, 2012, 2:20 pm

Those look terrific, Diane! Thanks for another fun foiling idea.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby Retta » March 30th, 2012, 2:46 pm

I signed up - had too. I just couldn't miss the fun in Timmy's class.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gigi » March 30th, 2012, 3:09 pm

I have all of the PDFs and videos downloaded - now just have to find the time to learn the techniques. One of these days..........

I love seeing what so many have done - awesome work!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Retta » March 30th, 2012, 10:48 pm

I now need to do this !!!!
Retta

Postby Angel135612 » March 30th, 2012, 11:30 pm

CAGigi , It is easy to learn and is fast... just watch one video a day, and try those techniques... you will be amazed at how easy it is. It is just a matter of knowing what to do, and then doing it over and over, and you will get much better at it. The first time I tried it, it did NOT turn out the way I thought it would... but I kept doing it, and the more I did, the better I got. Now, for me, it is just a matter of picking the colors I want to use together... and some time those are hit and miss with me.

I bought some #5 tags at the office supply store (I think they were cheaper than what you can get them for at the craft store) to just practice with... they are small, and if you "ruin" one, it isn't a big loss. I couldn't find the #8 tags at the office supply store, which is why I got the #5, I think they were around $5 for 100. I have been having so much fun with the techniques from Day 2, that I haven't worked on the techniques from the rest of the class. I have watched the videos, but I'm still having fun with Day 2... LOL

I have been trying to sit at my craft table, and just work on the background for the tags for about 10 to 20 minutes a night before I head for bed. If I get something I like, then I have a background to use for a future project. If I don't like what I have, then I know what NOT to do the next time... LOL I haven't been stamping on mine yet, most of the rubber stamps I have are more detailed for coloring, and not really good for the distress look (however, I did go to Michaels the other day, and all their rubber stamps were on sale for 40% off and I had a coupon for 15% off entire purchase including sale items, so I stocked up on some of Tim's stamps.

Retta You reallly need to try it... it is so much fun... and the possibilities are endless... can't wait to see what you create.
Angel135612

Postby Retta » March 30th, 2012, 11:36 pm

I was able to take one of Tim's classes at Novi, MI last year. I love the ranger products and am looking forward to trying them. I am working on a big project right now on the computer. So I hope so soon.
Retta

Postby Gigi » March 30th, 2012, 11:37 pm

I love what you have done Diane - they are fabulous. I can hardly wait to have some time and focus to try it!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PennyDuncan » March 31st, 2012, 8:54 am

Oh I took that class too...and it is SO WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! Fantastic info and I absolutely LOVE what you did with the foiled hearts!!!!! GORGEOUS!!!!! Tim and our kittys will play SO NICE together!!!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help