Organizing files

Organizing files

Postby Trisha » March 2nd, 2012, 2:46 pm

I have a pretty good system that works well for me, except in one area. I have all my "design elements" in one folder, divided into subfolders such as scallops, lattice everything, hearts, nested shapes. All my Frames are in a folder, Flowers in a folder divided by flower kind ...you get the picture.

My problem is my "Cards" folder. I can't quite get a handle on that. When I started out, I organized them into things like Decorative cutout fronts, Window cards, Gate folded, Foldable & Moveable. But then I began to add Baby, For Men, Special Occasions. So now, things are confusing, and it takes forever to find the card I have in mind.

How do ya'll organize your files that are for whole cards? By that, I mean the file has all the elements, including the base, to make the whole card. Should I reorganize according to card topic? But then, some cards can be used for a variety of card-sending occasions. Help, please!! :)

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Re: Organizing files

Postby LisaH » March 2nd, 2012, 4:29 pm

organization of card files...hmmmm... :? mine are under several different things...designer name...topic...et al... :hide: I just have to go on a treasure hunt :ROFLMBO: and sometimes I find things I forgot I had :banghead:
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Trisha » March 2nd, 2012, 5:17 pm

LisaH wrote:organization of card files...hmmmm... :? mine are under several different things...designer name...topic...et al... :hide: I just have to go on a treasure hunt :ROFLMBO: and sometimes I find things I forgot I had :banghead:

Totally! Me, too! I just have a terrible time, say, finding a particular card design that I want to make for a particular person.
:banghead: I would love to find a way to organize them in a way that is more effective.

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby Elizabeth » March 2nd, 2012, 10:32 pm

Hmmm. I have two card folders. One labeled "cards" and the other "general greeting cards". Luckily, I never make the same card twice. Sorry, not any help at all!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Trisha » March 3rd, 2012, 8:32 am

Elizabeth wrote:Hmmm. I have two card folders. One labeled "cards" and the other "general greeting cards". Luckily, I never make the same card twice. Sorry, not any help at all!

Oh, Elizabeth! You may have given me a very good tool! I could have two card categories! One for the whole card files by occasion and purpose, and another for general all-the-files-I-use-with-cards-all-the-time! You are brilliant! I'll have to work on this idea. Thanks, Darlin'!

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby Elizabeth » March 3rd, 2012, 11:07 am

Glad I could help, Trisha! Funny what happens when I am just being my snarcastic self. :ROFLMBO:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kate3 » March 3rd, 2012, 7:59 pm

Organize? :shock: Not one of my any files are organized. They all get downloaded and put on a my portable hard drive. I have a couple of folders called files SVG and files others that I mostly forget to put them in there. I am sure I have files I will never see again. :? Want to swap? :hide:
My daughter would be happy to fix it for me. If she knew what a crafting file looked like. Her room might be a mess but her life and computer are organized. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: I tried but it got too big.
kate3

Postby Trisha » March 3rd, 2012, 8:02 pm

Thanks, Elizabeth and Kate. Boy, life sure gets away from us in a hurry, doesn't it! Well, it may take me a while do get this job done --maybe by 2015! :D :D

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help