SO MANY CHOICES-SO MANY QUESTIONS

SO MANY CHOICES-SO MANY QUESTIONS

Postby Everett » February 4th, 2012, 8:59 am

I know the machine I want [13 in Cat] but need to decide on soft wear!!
QUESTIONS;
1. SignCut, What version is the BC SignCut Software??
2. MTC seems to be viewed as the easiest to get started with, is this true??
a. and can be used as a stand alone for Print & Cut, am I stating this right??
b. without using Sign Cut.
3. If you learn MTC it is easier to step up to Inkscape & SignCut??

My conclusion right now is to Purchase MTC, and start with using that, but also get Sign Cut at purchase because it costs aprox. $350. for life time. That way I.m ready to move up to Inkscape & Sign Cut When I feel the time is right for me and at the least expense!! NOT RICH HERE !!!! But I do not want to limit my wife and myself because it seems that the BC is so capable.
Everett

Re: SO MANY CHOICES-SO MANY QUESTIONS

Postby kim » February 4th, 2012, 9:05 am

For me personally, MTC was a great option. I was new to the cutting software world and didn't know the "language" of the graphics world. MTC was a software that was easy to understand and begin cutting. I learned a little at a time and can now boast that I know what a boolean join and bezier warp are!! I purchased Signcut and have Inkscape, so soon I hope to go to the next level for some of my design ideas.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Angel135612 » February 4th, 2012, 9:35 am

Signcut is NOT a BC software, it is another company that creates that software. It is mainly for professional cutters, but Dawn was able to get a deal with them for the BC cutters. I believe that with the purchase of a cutter, you get the hobby version of Signcut, but Dawn or Sherri would be the ones to answer that for sure.

You can download MTC and use it to learn the software, but if you don't purchase it, you can't cut with it, with out a slash going through your design. That is their way of protecting their software, but giving the consumer a way to try it out before they buy.
I started out with MTC before I even heard of the Black Cat cutters, and after I got my Cougar, decided that I needed Signcut to take full advantage of all the things the Cougar can do.

Since you will be learning a new software reguardless, why not learn Inkscape to begin with, instead of MTC. If you know you want to use Inkscape and Signcut eventually, then start out learning that. It really isn't that hard to learn, it's just the software can do so much, and you don't need to learn ALL the things the software can do, just what you need to use it for. There are other forums that are dedicated to learning Inkscape for cutters, so you don't get all the other stuff to weed through to find what you need to learn. Plus the people here that use it are more than willing to help when you have problems.
If you really think you want MTC then download it as a trial and learn to use it. You can export anything you create with MTC as an SVG and cut it using Signcut. After you have spent some time with MTC and also with Inkscape, you can decide if you really need to purchase MTC or not. I have found that since I started really getting to know Inkscape, that I rarely use MTC any longer.. even though I still update the program when there is a new version out.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Everett » February 4th, 2012, 9:42 am

You mean I can use the MTC trial and export it to sign cut and let SignCut do the cutting? and can I print w/trial MTC also?
Everett

Postby allandra42 » February 4th, 2012, 9:48 am

You can do print and cuts with Make the cut by itself. I do my print n cuts with make the cut.
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby Retta » February 4th, 2012, 9:52 am

I think with MTC you can export a file as aSVG. Open that file in Inkscape. Then Inkscape has a plug-in that will export to Signcut to be cut. That is also the way Inkscape files are cut also.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby allandra42 » February 4th, 2012, 9:56 am

I typed a huge paragraph here and then lost it.. Hate that..
anyway,, again.. I use Make the Cut only because it is easy to learn and dont take a lot of time. I work full time so on my "play time" I dont want to spend it fighting with software. However I love having signcut because you can import to it from most any software to cut.I have the one year thing that came with my cougar but will buy signcut when that year is up in a few months. Dawn also has someone creating software for us that is going to made for the cougar, There is no estimated time of arrival for it but it is in the works. Make the cut has an awesome forum and Brian does weekly classes online to go over any questions aobut the software that you submit all week. These are taped so you can watch them at your leisure. There are so many great opportunities with software and these machines most anyone will work with it if you can create a cut file. I think 59.00 for Make the Cut is an awesome investment. I want to learn inkscape because I want to have more editing abilitites with my software. I own a pazzles inspiration and I am very good with funtime software and i can also use it with my cougar the opportunities are endless.
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby ksmcleod » February 4th, 2012, 11:43 am

I would ask that people not make suggestions to try to circumvent the rights of the software developer. If you like Make The Cut trial, then go ahead and purchase it rather than designing something in the trial and exporting to another program to get out of buying it. This is how software developers make their living. Sorry to vent, but really hate it when I hear things like this.
ksmcleod

Postby Suzan » February 4th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Everett my best advice, is to down load the trial of MTC and play around with it. There are thousands of free files. I would do this right now so you can see what you are getting into. I was like you when I started. My mom had a Cricut, and I loved what it could do, but I didn't want the whole cartridge thing. There was some other software on the market that would work with the Cricut at the time. So being completely ignorant to svg's and everything about cutting I will be honest, it was extremely frustrating to me. I didn't understand the terminology or anything. So I started with the simplest tutorials in inkscape. Which was welding letters, I got to know terms and what was going on. One day it just clicked. Something actually made sense and I understood. I don't use MTC for actual designing so I am no help there what so ever. But a lot do, and they have weekly webinars on their forum. That you can attend live or re-watch at a later time. That is actually where I would start, go into the webinar next week and see what they have to say. Bryan is really great about answering questions. One warning though they are always packed so they may not get to your question right away. Also their are wonderful tutorials about Inkscape all over the place. I do agree that if you see you like MTC you should buy it. And you should check with Dawn about the price of Sign Cut. Plus we are always here eager to help you. Tyler, Rob and others have made awesome videos you can watch also. I believe the price for the Hobby sign cut is cheaper but again Dawn can verify that. Now I prefer working with Sign cut most of the time. And I know if you do engraving or embossing signcut is better because it can handle larger files. Also I have done print and cut on both softwares. I personally prefer sign cut. Both do have a learning curve. You just can't escape that at all. LOL I wish we could just zap it into your brain. I think all of us would love that. I hope this helps. And remember just hollar with any questions or concerns. Also I love the fact that signcut has a really neat weeding feature when cutting vinyl. You can very easily create weed lines to help with the weeding process of vinyl.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Retta » February 4th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Ksmdeod - first of all I wasn't suggesting not buying MTC. Our intention is never to use a software or anything else unethically. But in that trial, Everett ddidn't know how to cut from MTC using signcut. Please understand that in answering things by typing that not all things are stated in great detail.
Retta

Postby ksmcleod » February 4th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Retta - my apologies. I didn't mean to come on so strong but I have been around too many people who think that it is ok to get illegal copies of software, music, etc. and I know how hard the developers / artists work.
ksmcleod

Postby Retta » February 4th, 2012, 2:11 pm

No worries. If you thought that - maybe someone else did. I had a chance to make it clear.
Retta

Postby Everett » February 4th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Guess I shou7ldn't of asked. My apologies.
Everett

Postby Retta » February 4th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Please don't feel that way Everett. Questions are necessary. This was just a miss understanding of my answer. You did not ask anything wrong I just needed to let her know I was not promoting using a program and not purchasing it if intending to use it. If we don't ask we don't know.

I will say this to. I own MTC and actually due to terminolodgy differences, I learned Inkscape first, I find that Inkscape for me was easier to learn and know.

Everett whatever you decide, you will make work for you!
Retta

Postby Thyme » February 4th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Everett, there was nothing wrong with the question you asked!
Please feel free to ask any question you wish
Thyme

Postby Barbara » February 4th, 2012, 7:27 pm

I started with Funtime and then progressed to Inkscape. There are lots of useful Tutorials around. I have MTC but even though some things seem easier than in Inkscape, I use Inkscape to cut. I like Conical Warp for Cupcake and Tumblers in MTC. Both programs are good and it is a personal choice.
Barbara
Barbara

Postby Suzan » February 4th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Everette don't get overwhelmed. This is a really fun thing to do. We just forewarn a lot because there is a learning curve and some will get their machines and have projects due that day and get frustrated. But honestly if you read the manual and ask questions you will do just fine. And like Barbara just said, you will find that you will start using a little of everything, you will find things in MTC you love and inkscape and sign cut too.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Mary Kobe » February 4th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Everett,

I bought MTC two years ago. I have to admit that I played in the trial version for about 3 months before I bought it. Once I purchased it, I was amazed at how much I could do!

I don't have experience in Sign Cut, so I am no help there.

We are here for you, so just ask!
Mary Kobe

Postby Tyler » February 6th, 2012, 10:44 pm

Everett,

After reading several of your posts and various questions, I would definitely look at just using MTC - it will suit your needs without a problem and cause you the least headache, which is always good. :-)

Like others said, get the trial. Its terms of use are very fair and It will let you get a really good feel for the software. The only limitation on the trial is it cuts slashes through your project if you are cutting and you won't be able to export to SVG or copy/paste between other programs.

Here is a link to purchase it from Scrappy Dew. http://www.scrappydew.com/make-the-cut/
You may have seen him on here a little - he helps do a lot of videos for the cougar.

Like others said, feel free to ask whatever questions you would like!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help