Cork

Cork

Postby hlutz67 » January 20th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Has anyone ever cut cork? Is there a list of everything that can be cut with the cougar? thanks!
hlutz67

Re: Cork

Postby Elizabeth » January 20th, 2012, 10:07 pm

I have a sheet from the dollar store in my craft room. I'll give it a try and let you know.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » January 20th, 2012, 10:08 pm

I have cut cork that comes on a roll like contact paper and it is fine - just crumbles a bit on the edges depending on how much detail there is. But it cuts very easily......will see if I can find a pic of the card I used cork on and will add it to the post when/if I do!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby hlutz67 » January 20th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Do you know what force and velocity you used? My who sheet crumbled...
hlutz67

Postby Gigi » January 21st, 2012, 2:04 am

Gosh - it was so long ago I don't remember but I did find the card! I have a couple of different kinds of cork and will try to cut some tomorrow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby hlutz67 » January 21st, 2012, 8:38 am

That looks great! I look forward to hearing your results from today.
hlutz67

Postby Trisha » January 21st, 2012, 10:27 am

Hlutz, I'm glad you asked about that. I have never even thought of cutting cork sheets.

Gigi, that's a handsome card. Cork would be good to give a masculine look to cards. Thanks for showing that.

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby Gigi » January 21st, 2012, 1:10 pm

Thanks Trisha! Will try to do some more a bit later and write down my force. I tend to go really slow when doing new things, and I think with the "crumbliness" (Is that a word??) of cork, slow would be better.......

Stay tuned!! :D

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Trisha » January 21st, 2012, 8:59 pm

CAGigi wrote:Thanks Trisha! Will try to do some more a bit later and write down my force. I tend to go really slow when doing new things, and I think with the "crumbliness" (Is that a word??) of cork, slow would be better.......

Stay tuned!! :D

My theory is...is I can say it, it is a word! :D (Entering "crumbliness" into my personal dictionary of unofficial vocabulary.)

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby Gigi » January 21st, 2012, 11:53 pm

LOL Trisha!! I like your thinking (and that means I can get away with a lot more -at least with you!!) :ROFLMBO: :hide:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kathybessey » January 22nd, 2012, 1:36 am

Trisha wrote:
My theory is...is I can say it, it is a word! :D (Entering "crumbliness" into my personal dictionary of unofficial vocabulary.)

I concur Trisha!!!

Gigi the card looks fantastic with the cork!
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » January 22nd, 2012, 5:47 am

Thanks Kathy. Need to try it again and see what the force is. Hopefully today - yesterday just got away from me :banghead:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » January 22nd, 2012, 7:37 pm

Sorry I didn't have time to try this out this weekend. Ran out of time today getting ready for and watching the AFC Championship. So excited that my Patriots are going to the Superbowl! The Ravens played a really great game. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole game, except for the first half of the fourth quarter, when I was lucky enough to have both kitties on my lap at the same time. I will keep still as much as possible to keep them happy in that situation as it happens so rarely now that they are "grown ups".
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » January 23rd, 2012, 3:11 am

I didn't have time to cut any more cork either, but hope to try soon. I don't know what happened to the weekend, but it seems to have a different plan for me than I did!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Trisha » January 23rd, 2012, 8:22 am

Where did ya'll find your sheets of cork? Or is it rolls? I'd like to try some, but I haven't spotted any...might need to find it online.

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby Gigi » January 23rd, 2012, 1:13 pm

Trisha -

I have two kinds. One is a little thicker and it came from My Favorite Things site - I don't know if they still carry it. The one I have successfully cut is cork "contact paper" so it's self adhesive which is a good thing :) And I got that at either Lowe's a while ago. They actually had some really cool options - a shiny silver, a wood grain, and some neat textured papers and colors all in the contact paper form. Hmmm - haven't looked in a while - wonder what new goodies they have! :hide:

Hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » January 23rd, 2012, 2:05 pm

Hi Trisha, I found mine in 8.5 x11 inch sheets at a dollar store. I only bought one sheet to try.

Elizabeth

Postby Trisha » January 23rd, 2012, 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info, Gigi and Elizabeth. I would never have thought of looking at Lowes' or such places! I used to occasionally buy craft supplies from the hardware stores, but for some reason, cutter stuff never crossed my mind! Great little tip!

I have bought things from the dollar store from time to time, depending on what they had and what I was looking for. I'll have to keep an eye out for some cork sheets as well...thanks.

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby Gigi » January 23rd, 2012, 10:46 pm

You are so welcome, Trisha! I will check the next time I am there to see if they still carry it.

The other tip I learned years ago was to get drywall tape for magic mesh - remember when that was so popular?? I still have a huge roll of it (self-adhesive) and you can color it any color you want. I need to pull it back out and use it again!! LOL

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Trisha » January 24th, 2012, 3:25 am

CAGigi wrote:You are so welcome, Trisha! I will check the next time I am there to see if they still carry it.

The other tip I learned years ago was to get drywall tape for magic mesh - remember when that was so popular?? I still have a huge roll of it (self-adhesive) and you can color it any color you want. I need to pull it back out and use it again!! LOL

Oh, I have some of the drywall tape! I use it all the time, but usually not for mesh. (Hey, I'll bet that you be good with some of the steampunk stuff that is so popular now.) If you pat it on your clean t-shirt (or whatever) first, you can use it to transfer die cuts from the mat to the projects. You can do the same with vinyl transferring. Be sure to de-stickify it first, or you'll never get it to release. It is not repositionable adhesive on that stuff. :oops:

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help