My "quick" fix for drag marks

My "quick" fix for drag marks

Postby Elizabeth » December 31st, 2011, 12:34 pm

Off and on, and increasingly, over the last several months, I have had problems with my Cougar blade dragging across my paper while cutting. I took a much needed day to do some testing so that I could figure out the problem. I made many, many repeats of the same cut, to see if I could narrow down the problem. (New blade, new mat, paper placed in the same spot each time, and same paper used, with variations in the blade height) I got the drag marks almost all the time, but fairly randomly on the page, although always vertically oriented. I even tried DD's laptop, with a different version of my software, to see if it was a software issue. I still got drag marks, but now they were horizontal! HMMM!

I'm sure if I had just asked, someone would have mentioned communication problems. It only took me several hours to come to the same conclusion. I put my head on the table to watch what was happening, and the blade carriage wasn't lifting when it should. I did some research on the forum, and saw that people were using a serial to usb converter to solve their problems. I finally checked my usb cables, and found that the connection was really loose at the machine. I'm sure that as I inserted and removed the cable from my laptop, I was jiggling the cable and changing the connections each time, which would account for the randomness of the problem.

Ok, so now that I have tortured you with the painful details, I will let you in on my solution. I looked around my craft room, laid eyes on a roll of PTFE thread tape (it came with the baby air compressor that DH gave me for Christmas) also known as plumbers tape. I wrapped a couple of layers around the outside of the machine end of the USB cable, plugged it back in, and VOILA! Perfect Cuts!! I am so excited to be loving my machine again. DH suggested that if I needed the connection to be even tighter, I could use black electrical tape, which is thicker than the PTFE tape.

I gained lots more confidence in using all of my blade holders, as I varied them while testing, and I learned how to cut some paper that I hated before (I had a whole ream, so it was the perfect test paper) so all of those test cuts were not a waste of time. Anyone need a couple hundred 1" geometric shapes?

I hope this fix might help someone else who is having similar problems. Happy New Year!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: My "quick" fix for drag marks

Postby Retta » December 31st, 2011, 1:28 pm

Way to go. Thanks for the information!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Angel135612 » December 31st, 2011, 1:38 pm

Great way to problem solve... I will keep this in mind IF I get this problem in the future. I really need to make some time to just play and try all my different accessories. My tables are scheduled to be delivered today, however I'm at the end of my mail carriers route, so I won't get them until around 4:00 ish.. IF I knew where she started her route, I would be out there looking for her. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: I have to admit I was surprised to see that the PO said they were scheduled for deliver on the 29th, when I only paid for Parcel Post postage... but wasn't surprised when they didn't show up that day.. (I know how the PO is... LOL) But even at that, less than one week for parcel post is awesome servie, both from Sherri and the PO. I can't wait to get my tables, and my new mats... and I will have the rest of the evening and all day tomorrow to play.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby minorcustomcrafts » December 31st, 2011, 1:48 pm

I also had to do this. I did use electrical tape. I still have issues once in a while, but my plug is pretty loose. I asked for the serial converter for this reason. I have not tried it out yet.
minorcustomcrafts

Postby Gigi » December 31st, 2011, 2:51 pm

Another thing I have used for years (not on my cat but other things that I tend to connect and disconnect a lot) is a Belkin adapter - let me try to find the name of it - can't remember at the moment. But you connect the us plug into this usb plug that bends in all directions and it is the thing that goes in and out of the computer so you protect the integrity of the plug that matters. Is this making any sense??? :banghead: :banghead: I am on a ton of cold medicine to not sure if this is as clear as mud!!

Ok - here is what it looks like - as you can see the piece that says "belkin" is where your USB connection goes and it swivels in every direction so you can get it out of your way, even put it at a vertical right angle - have a bunch of them and LOVE them - I have my Signcut dongle in one to protect it! Hope this helps someone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kathybessey » December 31st, 2011, 7:38 pm

Great conversation! Thanks for the info and suggestions, always good to know about others solutions to problems that can potentially happen! Gigi I love those little Belkin adapters!
kathybessey

Postby Elizabeth » December 31st, 2011, 7:43 pm

Well that looks cool, Gigi. I would need one that worked on the other end of the cable though, as it is my machine that has the loose connection. I forgot to mention that as an added precaution, I taped the cord to my table between my laptop and my Cougar, to cut down on the risk of jiggling the connection. It's not high tech or pretty, but it is effective.

Glad to see in the other thread that you got your new stuff, Diane.

Gigi, I hope you are feeling better really soon!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » December 31st, 2011, 11:29 pm

Aren't they the best, Kathy??

And Elizabeth, I think what you did was brilliant - was just thinking of what else. You could hook it into the usb and still unplug your machine from the other end of the adapter?? But it sounds like what you did is a great solution for now!! Way to go.

Thank you for the get well wishes - downing a lot of cold medicine - a week of this crud is long enough - hoping I have turned the corner. May have a glass of champagne and drown it out!! :)

Happy New Year!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kate3 » December 31st, 2011, 11:55 pm

It is my electrical cord that is loose where it is connected to my cutter and it vibrates out. Never causes any problems other my my cougar stopping but not with the cuts. I just happen to have a few rolls of plumbers tape and I may give this a try. I will check with electrical people in my family first as it is the power cord. It would be nice to not have this happen but it doesn't happen so often I can't live with it. It is just those days when I have so much to cut, my brain is fried and it happens. I don't always think to check there first. No, I panic and think my cougar died. I am going to write a sticky note for the top of my cougar now.
kate3

Postby btrengove » January 2nd, 2012, 10:53 pm

Hmm interesting, I assumed it was my matt curling (I do not have the table yet)
I have to give this a try
btrengove

Postby Elizabeth » January 3rd, 2012, 7:07 am

I initially blamed my mats,too. Hope this fix works for you.

Elizabeth

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help