Where to begin a cut?

Re: Where to begin a cut?

Postby Indigo Envelope » March 27th, 2012, 7:07 am

I too have been having problems with this. The various sources all say different things. In one, it looked like you need to put the laser on the edge of the grid and line the knife up with the right edge of the cutting area. In another, someone says put the knife at 0-0 in the corner, forget about the laser. Another person says line up the laser 2 inches along the bottom line. Another person says 1.5 inches.

I guess I am feeling really, really stupid right now, but if someone can tell me where 0-0 should be on this matt, I would so appreciate it. I have the Black Cat Cougar 13 inch cutter. I am using a matt that is 16 inches wide and 12 inches high. I have an iMac - lots of problems with that over the last 17 hours. And also, I'm using SCAL version 3.

Right now, wherever I start the knife, the unit just zips across my matt and then goes into "pause" at the left side of the matt.

I don't understand what's going on or if I needed to calibrate this thing elsewhere. I tried and SCAL has just shut down on me every time I went to the print and cut feature. I'm beginning to hate this software and I haven't even had a chance to enjoy it yet.

I would be so eternally grateful for any clear direction at all on this issue. Thanks!
Indigo Envelope

Postby rachellann » March 27th, 2012, 7:15 am

0-0 point is the right corner on your paper when using the Blackcat cutters you say your machine zips it to pause. are you using protrait mode or landscape?
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Indigo Envelope » March 27th, 2012, 7:36 am

I am really dumb, but I have tried so many different settings.

I want to cut out shapes on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.
What do I put for the width of the matt? What do I put for the height of the matt?
Where do I position the paper on the matt? In real life and on the screen?
Where do I hit the origin button to establish the 0-0 point?

I did my baseball bracket using linear algebra, and I design in Creative Suite, so I'm not absolutely a complete moron -- except for when it comes to using this machine. This has absolutely humbled me trying to understand how to get started. Very difficult. So sorry to ask what are probably really stupid questions! It's been that kind of night/day trying to figure this out.
Indigo Envelope

Postby Mystic » March 27th, 2012, 8:41 am

Make your virtual mat portrait orientation.
The mat size can be either the size of your physical mat or the size of your paper - your choice.
Place your template so that it is positioned in the bottom right corner of the virtual mat.
Place the paper so that the bottom right corner is at the bottom right corner of the translucent part of the mat.
Set the origin using the blade tip (not the laser) to the bottom right corner of the paper. To do this go offline and use the arrows on the machine to move the blade tip to the required position. Press the origin button and then press the online button.
Now you can cut and your design will cut in the same position as on your virtual mat
Mystic

Postby Elizabeth » March 27th, 2012, 9:09 am

Don't beat yourself up, Indigo Envelope! It will all click soon, and you will be cutting like a pro. It does take a bit of time to learn how to coordinate your cutter and your software and get them talking nicely to each other. We certainly do not think you are dumb! Sounds like with Rachell and Mystic to help, you will be all set. (I don't know SCAL or Macs, so I can only be a cheerleader here.)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Indigo Envelope » March 27th, 2012, 2:05 pm

http://www.blackcatforumuk.com/index.php?showtopic=2868

Thank you so much! Also, the above topic was referenced to me by another designer. It shows another way to calibrate if SCAL v. 3 and your printer/computer are having some issues. I think this is a really brilliant post. Complete with SVG version of a registration mark for your design files.

I'm hanging in there! I am getting this kitty to cut now, so I feel a lot less frustrated. But I have a lot to learn.
Indigo Envelope

Postby Gigi » March 27th, 2012, 2:52 pm

There IS a lot to learn, but if you take it slow and easy and have some little successes, over time it gets more and more comfortable and the successes become bigger and more frequent!!

Hang in there - you are doing great!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby tamihowse » April 1st, 2012, 9:30 pm

Hey, Indigo. I've been so frustrated with my SCAL 3 and my Cougar that I've taken a break. I graduated college with high honors and this whole thing makes me feel like a dummy as well. I'm so encouraged to read these posts that I'm going to go back to trying. Hopefully, this will all become second nature for me.
Fondly, Tami
tamihowse

Cutter: 24" Cougar

Postby dlhill » April 2nd, 2012, 4:42 am

Tami,
If you were using anything but the latest build of scal, it was the program and NOT you!!!!! I know it has been frustrating, but it is working well now. Hang in there :)
Denise
paperpastime.com
scal 3 Lynx Inkscape
dlhill

Cutter: Blackcat lynx

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help