Cutting SVG Files in MTC

Cutting SVG Files in MTC

Postby MaryP » December 9th, 2011, 8:14 am

Hi everyone. I have a problem and need some help, please. As lots of you will know I draw and sell svg files but I hear it is not always possible to cut my files in MTC without first adapting them. So are there any rules I should know? Is there something I can read that will tell me what I need to do, ie a tutorial? I am quite able to place items in separate layers in Inkscape (my software) but will that be good enough? Do I have to do anything special with hashed lines in order to make your lives easier?

I am very lucky in that Tyler converts my files for his site but I think I really need to get on top of this. I know he is studying very hard at the moment and I am reluctant to ask him to explain the process. There can be nothing worse than buying a file and not being able to cut it immediately. I know some of you are very experienced "doing the necessary with the file" but some are not and I want to be sure I can provide a good file for everyone. Also what does the new user need to learn to be able to do it themselves if they buy any svg file, not necessarily mine, that does not arrive in layers?

I am all ears :D

Mary
Last edited by MaryP on December 9th, 2011, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryP

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Re: CUTTING SVG FILES IN MTC

Postby kim » December 9th, 2011, 9:36 am

I'm not very proficient in svg files, like using Inkscape, but I do know that score lines need to be in a different layer. I haven't checked out the crib file that Gramof8 was talking about (I haven't cut it yet) but that will be a problem if the score lines are on the same layer as the cut file. Unless the score lines are dashed cut lines. Don't know much else. I don't remember what I did to the Cinderella file, if I had to do any reworking on it. If I did, it must have been where I could handle it.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Suzan » December 9th, 2011, 10:20 am

Mary when I make files, I make layers by colors, For Example, with your latest file here the tree one. I would do the trees on one layer, the fence one layer, and the score lines on one layer. And I use different color lines or if you use fills for each layer. Also I group or weld, my score lines, so they will stay on one layer. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but if I don't at least group the score lines each line will end up on a seperate layer. I hope this helps some.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby MaryP » December 9th, 2011, 10:26 am

Hi Kim, thank you for responding. If you have bought my crib file, I have replaced the score lines with hash lines. If you would like to PM me I will organise sending this file to you.

Mary
MaryP

Postby MaryP » December 9th, 2011, 10:36 am

Thank you Suzan. If I use hash lines I am assuming from what Kim says that can be on the same layer as the main card but if somebody would prefer to score these lines they would have to be on a separate layer. When you speak of scoring the lines do you use another tool in the cutter to do this? I get a bit confused as some people refer to score lines being the same as hashed lines (ie where one would bend the card) and the straight line being a cut line. So in the US is a score line something completely different from a hashed line? In the case of Inkscape that would mean a completely separate layer but I have not got my head round how one would marry up the score lines with the actual main card. I will have to go and play with Inkscape to see whether everything will stay in the same place once layered and cannot be moved. If that is the case there is not a problem.
MaryP

Postby Suzan » December 9th, 2011, 11:40 am

The score line is the fold line. I use a solid line and cut with less pressure on my cougar. I make them a seperate color. Now remember I don't use inkscape I use illustrator. So if my terms are slightly off I apologize. On a card, to fold it, I take and draw a line where I want it to fold, then do object path outline stroke. For a box I draw all my lines, then do object path outline stroke, then I weld or union those lines together. I make them a seperate color so when I go to cut I can cut them seperately. Both will work in sign cut and mtc. You know how in signcut, and in mtc I just open the eye for the layer I want to cut and close the other layers. And I am assuming when you say a hash line is it solid or like this - - - - - -. I prefer the solid line but others do use a dashed line.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby MaryP » December 9th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Thanks Suzan, the problem is that if I use an unbroken line users cut the file and of course it cuts all the way through, perhaps not realising this is a line to fold not cut. Making it a different colour should work but I find even when I have done that it still gets cut (accidentally Ipresume). I am not sure whether I should be making notes on the file, eg blue line is a score line. If I make a hashed line (sometimes called a kiss cut or dashed line) at least it won't cut the file and it is obvious what it is from the start. Here, I am assuming that if I make a hashed line it will import as that and be recognised and cut properly. I played with using the score line as a separate layer in Inkscape but what troubled me was that it was easy to move this line on the file and therefore could easily be moved out of place.
MaryP

Re: Cutting SVG Files in MTC

Postby Suzan » December 9th, 2011, 3:10 pm

True, It is always a problem with me. When I put patterns up for sale or even give away and make an MTC file to go with the svg file. I always go ahead and name the layers. And in the instructions I write down the color the score line is and to make sure to cut at less force. I also like the dashed or hashed line. But I never can seem to fold those properly. I am challenged that way LOL. Plus I always group my scoring lines together. Because some of my projects have them different places. Both ways are excellent. The easiest way to do this is probably your way with the hashed lines. That way there is no mistaking or forgetting to change the force or changing it back. I tend to do that also. LOL. I don't use MTC that much, really only when I offer a pattern in mtc format. I am spoiled with Signcut, if only the world would all use it. LOL. Let me know what you come up with. I am always open to new ways of doing things.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby MaryP » December 9th, 2011, 3:18 pm

I have been playing with MTC and have downloaded the latest version. I attach a screenshot of the svg file. Each of the pages is a separate layer in Inkscape and the Copyright info is on a separate layer. I also attach a shot of the MTC import. I have one extra layer that appears to have moved sections of one of the layers in Inkscape onto a separate layer and there is no layer with my copyright information on it. Some of the outer lines appear as dots or does that mean the page edge has not imported? A cutline to the left of the crib is totally missing as are the cut lines for the raised platform.

This svg file imports into three other software programs without any problems. Does this mean that it is MTC that is causing the strange effects? Or is there something I am not doing? I opened the svg via the svg button on the top tool bar in MTC. My hair is getting thinner by the day. I know a lot of you ladies love MTC and I would love to get this right for you.

svg file.JPG

After Importing into MTC.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaryP

Postby Thyme » December 9th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Have you tried just doing copy and paste between Inkscape and MTC? That is what I find to be the most reliable way of going between the two formats
Thyme

Postby MaryP » December 9th, 2011, 3:26 pm

No Dawn. Thank you. I will go and try it.

Mary
MaryP

Postby Suzan » December 9th, 2011, 3:41 pm

MTC does have some very strange quirks to it. Also, I know if I open an svg from Illustrator I have to open it with 90dpi and inkscape stuff is 72. Or is it vice/versa.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby MaryP » December 9th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Bingo. That seems to work a treat.

If anyone has bought this file via Dawn would you please let me know so that I can organise that you get an MTC file that works.

Thank you Dawn. So simple.
MaryP

Postby Suzan » December 9th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Yippeee, so you just cut and paste then do you have to seperate to their own layers, or does it all go over properly.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby MaryP » December 9th, 2011, 4:24 pm

The only thing that didn't go over was my Copyright info. I can always type that in.
MaryP

Postby Phyllis » December 9th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Oh, thanks. I was having some problems with your winter scene but made it work, don't remember how though. I will try the copy and paste method after this weekend. We're having our family Christmas this weekend and I have lots of preparation since its at my house this year.
Phyllis

Postby MaryP » December 9th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Hi Phyllis, it needs to be cut and paste for some reason. Copy and paste does not work. I will have to remember to duplicate my file before I cut and paste into MTC or I shall lose my original. Phyllis, if you are having trouble with my file always PM me and I will look into it immediately.
MaryP

Postby Phyllis » December 9th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Mary, oh guess I misread the cut vs. copy. I only worked with the file a little and I'm sure some of it could be user error too. I wll try again and do the cut/paste. I love your files, so so pretty. Can't wait until I can complete one. You are so nice and helpful, I know you would make it right. :bighug:
Last edited by Phyllis on December 9th, 2011, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phyllis

Postby Suzan » December 9th, 2011, 5:23 pm

also if you cut something, and then paste it. If you go back into inkscape or the program you cut the project from. You can always paste it in that program, or do a control z to undo.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby Phyllis » December 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Suzan wrote:also if you cut something, and then paste it. If you go back into inkscape or the program you cut the project from. You can always paste it in that program, or do a control z to undo.

Yes, I must remember to protect it from loss. Good tip.
Phyllis

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help