I need help from the "Vinyl Queens"!!! Please!

I need help from the "Vinyl Queens"!!! Please!

Postby MendyRap » December 5th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Ok, I'm trying to cut out the mindscape nativity for 8 x 8 glass blocks. I'm using the detailed 45 blade, should I be using the 60? Because it seems to be sticking a lot! A lot of the "small" pieces are coming off and sticking to the blade. Also, I'm using the v of 100 and the f of 25, by chance am I cutting too slow or with too much force? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks! Mendy
MendyRap

Re: I need help from the "Vinyl Queens"!!! Please!

Postby Suzan » December 5th, 2011, 5:20 pm

On the Chargers I did the green one the font is fairly detailed I just used a normal blade, a 60 degree one. Also I cut at a force of 14, I think Dawn's recommendations are up to 20. Thirteen wasn't quite enough in some spots and 14 is pretty much perfect for me. Also I cut at 97 velocity. The more detail the slower you want to go. Also realize everybody's blade sticks out differently. So don't hold t the up to 20 number. Try reducing your force and check your blade holder and blade and make sure there aren't any little bits of vinyl stuck to it.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Phyllis » December 5th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Mendy, I have better luck with the 45 degree blade. I also find the force depends on the vinyl, I have different brands and types. My force varies between 30 and 40, also whether I'm cutting with or without a mat. So I guess I'm not much help huh? I'm new at vinyl cutting also but am loving it.
Phyllis

Postby MendyRap » December 5th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Y'all helped a lot! Thanks so much! It's nice to know what I was thinking was right! Sometimes my brain doesn't wrap around things the right way! Lol! I will try again! Never give up, never surrender!!!
MendyRap

Postby Tyler » December 5th, 2011, 6:12 pm

No vinyl queen here, but try a different blade. I have had the same issue where the smaller detailed pieces just wanted to cling to the blade for some reason. I put in a new blade and it fixed the problem!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby MendyRap » December 5th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Hi Tyler, sorry about the "queen" banner, kings are awesome too! I had the 45 detailed blade in and there were a few problems but not horrendous. I then put in the 60 detailed blade and that was REALLY, REALLY bad! So then, I tried the regular 45 degree blade and that was just a little bit worse than the 45 detailed blade. It must be force and or speed. Very detailed file and I'm pooped tonight so...tomorrow I will try different settings. I had always had good luck with those settings and blades with the cricut vinyl, this is outdoor oracle (can't remember the number) and it just is a different beast! Of course, this is a very, very detailed file.
Thanks everyone!
MendyRap

Postby Tyler » December 5th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Have you tried doing it on a mat? May be worth a shot.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Suzan » December 6th, 2011, 12:39 am

Cricut vinyl is actually Oracal 631 which is the indoor vinyl. The outdoor Oracal is 651. I don't know if there is a difference in the texture or thickness. I have only used the indoor stuff.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby kate3 » December 6th, 2011, 2:17 am

I just use the normal 45 degree blade for vinyl and I do a lot of vinyl. Make sure your blade is barely showing so you don't cut through the backing paper. I have never cut vinyl with a mat. Each type of vinyl needs a different force so use your test square first. I usually cut around 20 force but each machine is slightly different and so is each different vinyl.
kate3

Postby whizzy » December 6th, 2011, 5:46 am

I've been using the regular 45deg blade with V80 & F38 with perfect results.
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Postby NStramler » December 15th, 2011, 1:25 pm

I just ordered my Lynx so I am reading all I can on how to use it.. All I ever cut is vinyl, is there any directions, videos, etc on how to cut vinyl with the Lynx? I am really interested in seeing how it cuts without a mat... I will be using SCAL with is, so please wish me luck!
NStramler

Postby Dana » December 15th, 2011, 2:14 pm

wow... all your forces are way higher than mine. I use the click blade on 1 and a force of 6. I can barely feel the blade when running my finger underneath it, but for the life of me, I haven't quite figured out the no mat thing yet. I would love to, because 95% of what I cut is vinyl. I would love to do the no mat thing.
Dana

Cutter: Lynx "Nikita"

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help