NEECD HELP What Blade and settings

Re: NEECD HELP What Blade and settings

Postby Gigi » March 22nd, 2012, 10:20 pm

I understand your being discouraged, but would hate to see you give up on it and you this early. There is a learning curve and I really believe once you have success with simple things an then move on to more complicated, you will be so glad you kept trying.

You could, just as an experiment, get some cricut blade so try - they do work and are great for practicing and then you won't feel like you are wasting money on good blades. And I would try some very simple images first and get the feel of it. I now the letters don't seem like a big deal, but once you get the hang of pressure and speed with basic cuts, you may find the letters cutting better.

And be sure your mat is sticky and that you are brayering your paper down -that will also change the quality of your cuts.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kmmhug » March 22nd, 2012, 10:31 pm

I was originally using my cricut blades (had quite a stock of them left) in a click holder and can manage to get somewhat decent cuts that way if something is not very detailed or swirled. I do have the mats pretty sticky as I just restuck them and I have been using the brayer. I am sure I will not give up yet and I am not quite so discouraged after some supper, but just for tonight I am done. I am not sure I can bear another bad cut tonight!

I do wonder if there is a problem with the blade or the holder even though they are both new and never used before today however since Rachellann is able to cut it and get good cuts with my file. I tried 4 times using the same settings she did and then trying them slightly different, and mine is now not even cutting thru the paper but just sort of scoring it and tearing it a little... Tomorrow I will put my regular blade back in and try it with the settings she was using and see if that works. If so, I guess I will need to see about replacing the detail blade and or holder.
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby rachellann » March 22nd, 2012, 10:58 pm

kmmhug wrote:I actually never ended up using the glitter paper, since I just wanted to get a good clean cut...

Rachellann, thank you so much for trying so hard to help me tonight. I really do appreciate it. Perhaps this machine is just to much machine for me...IDK, perhaps after some dinner, I will feel more optimistic and ready to give it another try. If my blade is no good, It will be a while till I can get another one as I believe they are out...:( I sure hope not. I looked at it and it seems fine! When my husband gets home, I will have him find his magnifying glass and look at it closely. I am legally blind without my glasses and even then not perfect so perhaps he will be able to see something I am missing!

Kathy your very welcome and I'll continue to help as much as I can, you will get there just finding the setting that work for you , one question I forgot to ask is what is the brand of cardstock you are using?
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby kmmhug » March 22nd, 2012, 11:21 pm

I am not sure, it is stuff I got at JoAnn's in the 69 cents a piece area. I stocked up on a lot of the colors when they had a sale of 5 for a dollar. When I switched to the white, it is plain card stock that came in the albums I buy, but I keep accumulating it since I don't use white backgrounds and decided it felt about the same weight and I would cut that till we got a good cut and then go back to the stuff I actually want. I have already cut up and wasted 5 pieces of the red so not a lot of money but still frustrating today.
Kathy
kmmhug

Postby Elizabeth » March 23rd, 2012, 7:56 am

KMMHUG, in a pinch, you can use Cricut blades, which are more readily available. I like to keep them on hand for emergencies, and when I am cutting stuff that might dull my good blades.

These machines do take time to learn, but if you stick with it until it "clicks", you will be happy.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » March 23rd, 2012, 1:14 pm

I noticed in a post you said a click holder, is it one that is for the cougar or is it the cricut click holder. If it is the cricut that could be your problem, Even though they look similiar they aren't and don't work or cut well with the machines.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby kmmhug » March 23rd, 2012, 4:15 pm

It is the proper one for the cougar. I have never attempted the use of any of the cricut blade holders.
Kathy
kmmhug

Postby Dana » March 23rd, 2012, 7:31 pm

Just a thought... make sure your mat isn't warped. If it is... sometimes the middle of things won't cut. On the glittered cardstock, I have to do several passes for it to cut with a fresh blade.
Dana

Cutter: Lynx "Nikita"

Postby kmmhug » April 5th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Sorry to be so long in getting back to this, but I have still not resolved the issue with the detail blade. I switched to a new cricut blade in the click holder again, and using the settings that Rachellann had given me got a good cut! I don't think the problem is with the machine, but I do think there is a problem with the blade. Since it cut the first third of the word nicely, then did not cut thru, and then tore it up, I suspect the blade broke in the first cut it ever made. It did not hit anything and the mat was not bad. I finally got it looked at by my husband under a magnifying glass and it does not have a proper point.

Do the detail blades normally break in one cut like that? Do you think I had a defective blade? Those blades are pricey and I sure hope it is not a one cut item! For now I have been working on making normal less detailed cuts and had pretty good success. I am using the silhouette for my more detailed cuts, but that is not a good long term solution. It is however much less frustrating in the short term.
Kathy
kmmhug

Postby Retta » April 5th, 2012, 7:35 pm

I've had the same blade in my detail blade holder for 2 years. It may be that one was not good or broke, but I would say not usually!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gigi » April 5th, 2012, 7:49 pm

kmmhug wrote:Sorry to be so long in getting back to this, but I have still not resolved the issue with the detail blade. I switched to a new cricut blade in the click holder again, and using the settings that Rachellann had given me got a good cut! I don't think the problem is with the machine, but I do think there is a problem with the blade. Since it cut the first third of the word nicely, then did not cut thru, and then tore it up, I suspect the blade broke in the first cut it ever made. It did not hit anything and the mat was not bad. I finally got it looked at by my husband under a magnifying glass and it does not have a proper point.

Do the detail blades normally break in one cut like that? Do you think I had a defective blade? Those blades are pricey and I sure hope it is not a one cut item! For now I have been working on making normal less detailed cuts and had pretty good success. I am using the silhouette for my more detailed cuts, but that is not a good long term solution. It is however much less frustrating in the short term.

By all means let Sherri know. There are times when the blades are defective -it happens. I sure she can help resolve it to your satisfaction. The blades last an incredibly long time normally/

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kmmhug » April 6th, 2012, 10:37 pm

Talked with Sherri and she sent me a replacement today! What awesome service!
Kathy
kmmhug

Postby Gigi » April 6th, 2012, 11:14 pm

So glad to hear. Yes her customer service is awesome - as is she!!

Gigi
Gigi

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help