Engraving

Engraving

Postby Gramof8 » November 10th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Ouch..another learning curve going on here. So need some HELP ! LOL

I have the plate all set up and taped on my mat. Placement has always been a problem for me. I have the orientation of the mat as portrait like always. The engraving tut says to have the settings to 0 for blade offset and over cut. I am going to show my confusion here at doing something new. What is over cut? Also how far from the right do we place the mat.

Another thing is that is the engraving is not showing up as well as I would like it to. I put in a special phrase of my own and used Merced font. Someone on here did an engraving and then went over it with a marker or something to get it to show up better. Does anyone know how that was done for sure and what was used to highlight the engraving.
Any help would be appreciated from those of you doing any engraving!

Thanks Gram
Gramof8

Re: Engraving

Postby Barbara » November 10th, 2011, 6:48 pm

Not sure if you are using Signcut or MTC. In Signcut overcut is in the cutting menu. Press scissors and it is in the advanced menu.
Not sure in MTC

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barbara

Postby Gramof8 » November 10th, 2011, 7:26 pm

Thanks Barbara . I use MTC.
Gramof8

Postby kim » November 10th, 2011, 8:42 pm

You can use a really high force with engravings....LOL I didn't because I was afraid and everyone told me I could go much higher. Also, unless viewed from certain angles, the engravings can be hard to see. I used alcohol ink and rubbed it onto the metal and then wiped off so that the ink stayed in the engraved part. Or you could use that rub stuff (metallic) in a different metal color. Some use Sharpies. The other way to do it is to use the metal that has the top in one color and when you engrave, the metal color shows through. Or Tyler has put alcohol ink on the whole top side of the metal and then engraved to let the metal color shine though.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Tyler » November 11th, 2011, 7:02 am

Gramof8 wrote:Ouch..another learning curve going on here. So need some HELP ! LOL

I have the plate all set up and taped on my mat. Placement has always been a problem for me. I have the orientation of the mat as portrait like always. The engraving tut says to have the settings to 0 for blade offset and over cut. I am going to show my confusion here at doing something new. What is over cut? Also how far from the right do we place the mat.

Another thing is that is the engraving is not showing up as well as I would like it to. I put in a special phrase of my own and used Merced font. Someone on here did an engraving and then went over it with a marker or something to get it to show up better. Does anyone know how that was done for sure and what was used to highlight the engraving.
Any help would be appreciated from those of you doing any engraving!

Thanks Gram

Overcut is the amount that is "double cut" from the program to prevent any paper chads. You cannot adjust it with MTC (so don't worry about it), only with SignCut.

Other than that, placement and engraving of the metal works the exact same as placement and cutting of paper.

For a more prominent engraving, you could do a fill (egg bot feature through Inkscape). You could also do an extra pass. Some have used alcohol inks to get a two toned effect you may look into as well.

Hope that helps!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help