not cutting all the way thru

not cutting all the way thru

Postby pezadoodle » November 1st, 2011, 5:36 am

second issue of the day - i managed to cut - yay! in the right place pretty much - yay again! it did not cut all the way through :banghead: i made some adjustments to the blade depth, velocity and force to play with it a little - now it just chews up the paper :? ideas?
pezadoodle

Re: not cutting all the way thru

Postby Tyler » November 1st, 2011, 6:40 am

Try using a beater to make ure your paper is down. Slow down the speed.

While learning, maybe decrease the force and do a second pass. You may want to watch the most recent webinar in the learning center.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby pezadoodle » November 1st, 2011, 8:29 am

ok i watched the webinar. great info. right now i have my blade all the way down in the holder and the blade itself all the way out using the little gold and silver dials. it cuts ALMOST all the way through but not quite....
pezadoodle

Postby pezadoodle » November 1st, 2011, 9:00 am

ok a little more fiddling - the blade is so low it is making a drag mark across the paper yet it is STILL not cutting all the way through.
pezadoodle

Postby Thyme » November 1st, 2011, 9:38 am

Lift the blade up fractionally, and then use the test cut button to get the correct force
Thyme

Postby Gigi » November 1st, 2011, 9:45 am

The blade should not be all the way out - just barely out so you just feel it if you are cutting lightweight paper/cardstock.

Did you use a brayer to get your paper down well on the mat? I am assuming it's good and sticky since it's new - but you might be using one of your Cricut mats (we all have and do) to save your Cat mat - and that might be warped which will give you sporadic cuts. Been there many times!!

Also check the blade to be sure it's not chipped - it happens. Use a magnifying glass.

I am guessing that your blade is out too much which will cause drag marks and your force may still be too high. Did you lower everything??

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to help problem solve! It will get worked out - I think we have all gone through this initial stuff and once the learning curve becomes less of a curve and things start working there will be no stopping you!

Keep posting your progress -
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pezadoodle » November 2nd, 2011, 4:25 am

i am beginning to think my blade is damaged maybe? i can't think of any other reason why it would be dragging and yet not cutting all the way through KWIM? my mat is sticky so that part is good. guess i will have to check the blade.
pezadoodle

Postby Gigi » November 2nd, 2011, 10:09 am

Is your mat warped at all? That will also cause erratic cuts. And yes, check the blade with a magnifying glass too.

Are you using a BC mat or a Cricut mat. I had a similar problem that was driving me nuts (and Dawn as well!!) as it would cut some and not all - and it was the mat. When I switched back to the Cat mat it was just fine. Just a thought....
Keep us posted!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby sherri » November 2nd, 2011, 10:10 pm

pezadoodle wrote:i am beginning to think my blade is damaged maybe? i can't think of any other reason why it would be dragging and yet not cutting all the way through KWIM? my mat is sticky so that part is good. guess i will have to check the blade.

Marti..I agree with the others, I think the blade is out too far. You only have the tip of the blade as much as the depth of whatever you are cutting. The machine force is what will cause it to cut thru. Try bringing the blade in so that is protrudes just the depth of whatever you are cutting. Gigi is also right in that the mat if not using the black cat could be warped. A lot of people experience this same problem using a cricut mat. If you are it is fine if it is cutting right. As soon as it is not cutting properly switch to the black cat mat and it should resolve the problem. PLEASE let us know how it is going. I know this seems like a HUGE hassle but once you get this down you will be home free..I promise! You will be singing the praises of the Black Cat...LOL
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby pezadoodle » November 4th, 2011, 7:16 pm

it's a black cat mat. i have not been able to get back to it this week. hopefully this weekend. it's driving me crazy because i want to get creating! i did the blade exactly the way it said in the webinar to get it out the right amount...
pezadoodle

Postby Tyler » November 4th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Look at the learning center - see if that helps
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby pezadoodle » November 6th, 2011, 1:55 pm

ok back at it again - finally got a bit of time where i can sit and fiddle - EVERYBODY cross your fingers for me!! lololol my blade looks good BUT sherri i will be ordering new blades anyway i think just to see......
pezadoodle

Postby pezadoodle » November 6th, 2011, 2:34 pm

ok i cut a tag out!!!!! it cut all the way through AND did not drag across the paper! i changed to the other blade, force is 29, speed is 150 ( which i hope i will be able to increase). i am now experimenting with part of the SVG i was trying to cut but i really think this time might work.
pezadoodle

Postby pezadoodle » November 6th, 2011, 2:35 pm

oh yea! it so worked!!!! if i was not so tired from pezza being up at 2am i would dance around the sunroom! now to see if i can get the whole thing cut and do a layout!!!!
pezadoodle

Postby Angel135612 » November 6th, 2011, 2:38 pm

YEAH!!! I'm so glad you got it to work. There is nothing like the feeling when you get your machine to cut the way it is supposed to... congrats... can't wait to see what you are making.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » November 6th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Terrific Marti - way to go!!! I knew you would get there. Now I want to see what you are creating - you are going to have SO much fun!!

Please share when you are ready!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby sherri » November 6th, 2011, 9:47 pm

pezadoodle wrote:oh yea! it so worked!!!! if i was not so tired from pezza being up at 2am i would dance around the sunroom! now to see if i can get the whole thing cut and do a layout!!!!

YEA! Finally! I am so happy for you and it is so nice we all get to experience those first cuts everyone makes...it reminds us all of the "way things used to be" for us too...LOL You are well on your way! I HOPE you see how this machine can eat your cricut for a snack....
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Gigi » November 6th, 2011, 9:55 pm

LOL Sherri!! Your analogy just made me laugh! :ROFLMBO:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pezadoodle » November 7th, 2011, 1:09 pm

hee hee! well i finally got everything swinging over here YAY!!! i think there was something wrong with the other blade i was using. anyway i got the 226 pieces cut out, inked and put together! just have to do the layout now!
pezadoodle

Postby Retta » November 7th, 2011, 1:59 pm

yeah!!!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help