help with knifepoint placement

help with knifepoint placement

Postby MarieK » September 20th, 2011, 10:16 am

Am trying to get my head around the knifepoint placement with MTC and 13" cougar. I have purchased the SVG cuts 3d alphabet cuts - they all come into MTC at 11" inc the bounding box although the actual letter size is nowhere near that size. So 1) how do I reduce the bounding box without makeing the letter smaller and 2) how do I place the knifepoint when the bounding box is not on the mat???? What I am trying to achieve is placing pattern paper on the mat and getting the letters to cut in a specific place on the pattern - using the laser does not match what is on the screen to the cutter!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarieK

Re: help with knifepoint placement

Postby Phyllis » September 20th, 2011, 10:31 am

Can you ungroup them and cut separately? Is this an option?
Phyllis

Postby MarieK » September 20th, 2011, 10:34 am

I could, but that would mean cutting 1st letter, taking off the paper, moving it over and cutting 2nd letter instead of just loading and cutting both together, which would a much better option if it is possible.
MarieK

Postby JeannetteC » September 20th, 2011, 10:44 am

It doesn't make sense for the bounding box to be so far to the right.
Try doing a split, then under the layers, select 'To each its own'. I suspect you will get three layers, one that is causing the bounding box to extend to the right.
JeannetteC

Postby MarieK » September 20th, 2011, 10:48 am

ummm good thought JeannetteC, have now tried both breaking and splitting but just says nothing to break/split. I have zoomed all the way in and there is a tiny dot, but although I can go into node mode, and select it, it wont delete - so frustrating !!!
MarieK

Postby MarieK » September 20th, 2011, 11:46 am

After a lot of playing around with node editing finally worked out that if I brought in a shape from basic shapes, placed it over the 'node' welded everything, split and then deleted the shape I had brought in and it worked, no more big bounding box !!
MarieK

Postby JeannetteC » September 20th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Glad you got it to work! Sounds like an odd case.
JeannetteC

Postby Angel135612 » September 22nd, 2011, 11:44 pm

I have that set of letters also, but haven't used them yet. But playing around with the M and E tonight trying to see if I had the same problem I was able to get rid of it. I just selected the two letters and welded that got rid of the little dot, and then broke them apart, and the bounding box was just around the letter. No need to bring in another shape to weld over that dot.

SVG cuts uses that little dot in a lot of their files, especially when there is more than one file to a design. It helps you to make each file the same size with out having to guess as to what changes to make. If you bring in all the files for the M, they will all be the same width, but the heights will be different based on what is in that particular file. If you get rid of that dot in each file, then want to resize your letter, you will need to know the percentage you want to reduce it, and use that for each file. With that little dot there, you can just type in the width for each of the files, and as long as your aspect ratio is locked, they will all size the same. Once you resize all your files, you can remove that dot to cut your designs, but I wouldn't overwrite the original file, so if you ever need to resize it again, it will be easy to do so.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby MarieK » September 23rd, 2011, 12:45 am

Thanks for the info, it is a lovely set and have used it loads already making lots of names for friends and family and using different sizes,from quarter size right up to original, but this time I wanted the face letter to be cut out using a particular design on some patterned paper and the only way I could think of getting my cougar to cut exactly where I wanted it to was to use the knifepoint function, and that was when I hit the problem of the bounding box and how to remove it!!! Must admit, I always keep an original file, just in case I mess up. Will try the welding two together as sound so much easier than the way I did it! thanks again for everyones help.
MarieK

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help