Trying to Cut 110# Cardstock

Trying to Cut 110# Cardstock

Postby Sassycutter » September 18th, 2011, 9:18 am

I am starting out with just trying to cut basic shapes. I have a fairly new 60 degree BC blade in the clickholder. The clickholder is screwed down as far as the adjustments will allow. The clickholder is set on 6 and is placed in the carriage as far as it will go. I have the force set at 120, velocity at 100. I CANNOT get the blade to cut through the cardstock. It is not marking the cutting mat. I don't know what other adjustments to make. The cuts seem good except for a point on a star shape may sometimes be bent. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Ideas, suggestions????
So much paper, so little time....
Sassycutter

Cutter: 13" Black Cat and Foilmaster

Re: Trying to Cut 110# Cardstock

Postby pigtailpat » September 18th, 2011, 9:37 am

WHOA - you do not need to have the clickholder on 6 for cardstock. What is happening is you probably need to do an allen adjustment of the bladeholder. Which clickholder BTW? Red or blue?

Do a search of my posts and you'll see a photo of what the blade should look like on click 1 45 blade after allen adjustment.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Sassycutter » September 18th, 2011, 9:56 am

WHOA - you do not need to have the clickholder on 6 for cardstock. What is happening is you probably need to do an allen adjustment of the bladeholder. Which clickholder BTW? Red or blue?

Thanks for responding! I have looked at your picture and the instructions. I have the blue holder. My husband and I tried to do the adjustment with the allenscrew. When the clickholder is on 1, we can hardly see the blade, much less feel it. We can't get it to come out any further with adjustment. I'm just at a loss....
Sassycutter

Postby Elizabeth » September 18th, 2011, 10:00 am

The allen wrench doesn't do the adjustment, it just removes the screw so that you can adjust the holder using a standard wrench. If you look at the holder from the top, you will see two slots at the bottom of the plunger. If you depress the plunger all the way, you can put a standard flat head screwdriver into these slots and turn to adjust. Good luck!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Sassycutter » September 18th, 2011, 10:12 am

Yeah, the top screw is the one I can't get to adjust down any more. It is screwed down as far as it will go and I can hardly feel the blade.
Sassycutter

Postby Gigi » September 18th, 2011, 11:14 am

I would contact Sherri -you might have a faulty click blade holder -it happens. As Pat said - no way should you be at a 6.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Sassycutter » September 18th, 2011, 11:53 am

Poor Sherri!!! She is going to wish she had never sold me anything!!! I just received this holder yesterday after I screwed up the first one!!! I did loosen the hex screw fairly loose and then tried to adjust the screw on the top. It just doesn't screw "down" any more. I can only adjust so the blade retracts and that certainly is not what I need. I did just get a clean test cut. I played with the clickholder some more and I had the clickholder set at #1, but the force had to go to 140 before I could get a clean test cut. I thought most people were using much less force to cut 110# cardstock. I sound like I'm making excuses or arguing, but I really am trying to do what my understanding of what the adjustments should be :banghead:

Keep trying people :D Hopefully, I'll get it....
Sassycutter

Postby Suzan » September 18th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Try setting the click holder on 2 or 3. That will extend it out just a touch more.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » September 18th, 2011, 5:14 pm

I have been cutting everything on click 1 - but this past week (not sure if it was the weather or what) but I had to change to click 2 on the heavier papers.

It can be hard to judge by what others have their set on - as we might have different blade extensions, different mats, different amounts of adhesion etc - it all affects the cut. So I would say don't worry if others are cutting at 1 and you need to go to 2 - it's not that drastic!

Glad you got it moving....... :) That's great!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » September 18th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Gigi -

it could be weather related, or, it could mean your blade is finally wearing down. I find that once the blade starts getting worn, you have to keep going on the depth, until it gets ridiculous and then you have to change the blade.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Tyler » September 19th, 2011, 6:40 am

Your blade only needs to stick out the thickness of your paper. If you are getting that at 6, that is fine.

The next question is how far are you setting your blade holder down when you load it in the clamp? What method are you using to do this?
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Sassycutter » September 19th, 2011, 7:10 am

@ Tyler
I am using the blue clickblade holder. I have adjusted the two screws on top and I cannot get the blade to extend any further. When I put the blade holder in the carriage, it is down in the clamp as far as it will go. Is it possible to adjust the blade holder clamp?

I am getting a good cut, but I am using click setting 1 or 2, and having to use a force of 140 to get it. If this is all normal, I guess I'm good to go. It just sounds very different from a lot of what I read on the forums.
Sassycutter

Postby Thyme » September 19th, 2011, 8:20 am

If you are getting a good cut then do not worry what settin gs you use to get it - the result is what matters
Thyme

Postby Sassycutter » September 19th, 2011, 9:01 am

Thanks, Dawn! That makes me feel better. I guess I need to lighten up and just focus on what my machine and I can do :D
Sassycutter

Postby Thyme » September 19th, 2011, 9:15 am

Yes, remember it is fun!
Thyme

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help