Accessories

Accessories

Postby janrichards » September 17th, 2011, 8:01 pm

I am finally going to take the plunge and buy a Lynx. However, I do not want to have to order and then think there is something else I need or want and have to order again (and pay additional shipping). I am not willing to go an additional $300 for everything but I definitely want a larger mat and probably some additional blades. What have you found that you can not live without in terms of supplies for the machine?
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Re: Accessories

Postby Angel135612 » September 17th, 2011, 10:13 pm

That depends on what it is you plan on doing with your Lynx. Are you going to cut chipboard? Vinyl? Intricate images? Do you want to use pens and markers? Do any embossing or engraving? I wanted to try it all, since these machines can do so much, I figured, I would use everything eventually, so I got everything before they made the Gotta Have it All bundle. But if all you want to do is cut, then the extra mats, and blades would be all you need.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Sassycutter » September 17th, 2011, 10:20 pm

That extra $300 was tough for me to spend too, but I'm glad I have it. I can't say that I have used it yet, but I fully intend to learn and I'm glad it is here to keep me motivated to learn how to use it :D As previously posted, if you just want to cut paper, I would say mats and blades too.
So much paper, so little time....
Sassycutter

Cutter: 13" Black Cat and Foilmaster

Postby Gigi » September 17th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Sometimes it's better, again depending on what you want to do,to just start with the basics and get comfortable with that. Then once you have had the machine for awhile and have a better feel for what you will be doing, you can get the extra pieces that make sense. I got it all too - because that is just me - but it's really a very personal decision based on what you plan to do (and that can change once you have the machine -it may really expand your horizons!!)

Congratulations on the decision!! I am excited for you!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Tyler » September 17th, 2011, 11:06 pm

I think a lot of people eventually end up getting everything because the accessories are so cool! That being said, it is not always practical for everyone. If I had to choose I would make sure I had an extra blade or two of 45 degree, a long shaft 60 degree blade for thicker materials, a spare mat (I personally like the 25 inch by 14 inch for the lynx), and an engraving tool. The embossing tool or the pen tool would probably be next on my list. The detail holder is cool too, but you will already be amazed at how great of detail the machine can cut, so you may decide you will want to wait on that one. I love the click holder, however it is a personal preference between the that and the holder that comes with your machine. I hope that helps narrow it down a bit!

I must say though, that is a tough call, and the whole bundle is marked down so much from what it would cost to buy them individually. Good luck!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby janrichards » September 18th, 2011, 6:45 am

Thanks for all of the input. I think I will go simple. I don't use my current pens a lot and I don't see myself etching anytime soon so your suggestions are very helpful. I think I will be placing my order this week. I can't wait to try it out.
Jan
janrichards

Postby pigtailpat » September 18th, 2011, 9:14 am

Wait until the end of the week next week. I am not sure what is going to happen, but the accessory tables might come to a reality really soon (Sherri previously said her lead time on the tables is about 2-3 weeks and next week brings it to around there). In addition to that, I am not sure whether or not Sherri's first order of tables will be for the lynx or not, whether it will be cougar and lynx, or just cougar. Please contact Sherri about the tables, whether or not her first order for the tables includes the lynx line of machines. If her first order for the tables do not include the lynx this time around (the tables were recently re-designed - we are all waiting for the tables), then you do not have to wait on the tables. If Sherri tells you she's getting tables for the lynx, then you might want to wait for them to come in, so you can get all-in-one shipping - as you indicated that you would like to try to get everything together (that it was important to you). In my view, the most important accessories are tables, extra blades and the engraver. For myself, I did not get everything together, and was willing to pay extra in shipping multiple times, because that was the only way I could handle the cost. I had to break it up over time. When the tables are ready, I will be getting the tables and engraver for my 18" cougar, and for now I will be done - as I have to pay attention to getting more media as I am so low on everything.

Hope this helps!

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby janrichards » September 18th, 2011, 11:53 am

Okay but tell me more about the tables and why you all want them. I am currently using a cricut and have a table that it sits on all by itself. It is very sturdy and I have never had a problem with it. Thanks for the input.
Jan
janrichards

Postby Angel135612 » September 18th, 2011, 12:10 pm

The tables fit onto the machine to support the mats. When you start using larger mats, they tend to bend if they aren't supported in front and behind the machine. And if the mat isn't flat, it can cause problems with cutting.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » September 18th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Jan -

to get an idea of what the tables do - take a quickie look at this link - scroll down the page for the photo:

http://www.thymegraphics.co.uk/products.asp?cat=12

the tables are incredibly useful, and I'm just dying for mine.............
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby janrichards » September 18th, 2011, 6:23 pm

OK cool, now I get it and I would like to have one if they are going to be available. Guess I would call that a tray instead of a table but it makes perfect sense to have one. Thanks for the link.
Jan
janrichards

Postby kathybessey » September 18th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Congratulations on the decision to get a Lynx! I started off with just what came with the machine and quickly went back and go the got to have it all set because this machine (I have an 18" Cougar) quickly taught me that my horizons were indeed going to expand. The only reason I did this was because I had tax refund money that allowed me to afford that package, otherwise I would not have them. Instead I would have focused more on the things that I do use which are mats and 45 degree blades and the click holder. I have used the detailed blade and love it, and absolutely LOVE the pen holders (never used pens in my E). I have not played with the embossing tool yet but plan to, just got some metal from Tyler's shop so now I can try engraving and have plans to use the material blade this winter to cut some fabric for appliques on a quilt. So like everyone else has said, it's a personal thing but be careful, that new kitty you get will most likely expand your horizons in the crafting world :)
kathybessey

Postby pigtailpat » September 18th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Jan -

contact Sherri about if she is getting them for the lynx line, as I don't follow anything Lynx related as I have the cougar...

glad to help!

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby kim » September 18th, 2011, 8:33 pm

If I had to choose one thing, then I guess I would start off with the detail blade holder. Extra blades (in a variety) and mats are a given. I actually use the test pen alot, even though I have the pen holder. Don't ask me why! After that, I use the engraver (huge surprise to me as I really didn't think I would use it much) and I still haven't used the embosser (mainly because I am too busy with the engraver). I have the click holder and have just now gotten to where I will use it. I can't say one way or the other which I like better on the blade holders. i am very comfortable with the original one that came with my Cougar. I haven't ordered the new click blade holder since I don't see a real need for it. Since I have the 24" machine, I am looking forward to the tables, expecially when doing the larger metal engravings and vinyl cutting, it would really be handy. Right now, I use reams of paper to hold my media up.

I don't think the tables are available for the Lynx yet, but are being designed right now.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby pigtailpat » September 19th, 2011, 3:33 am

Kim -

On Dawn's website, the UK owners can in fact get tables for the Lynx. I think the design is ready for the lynx, otherwise Dawn would not have included it as an orderable item. But, I am not sure if Sherri's first order of them here in the States will include the Lynx. That's the thing.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby kim » September 19th, 2011, 9:14 am

Leave it to Dawn to have the Lynx tables already available!! She is so fast. Great for the Lynx owners.

I'm too scared to visit Dawn's site at the moment. :ROFLMBO: I always end up spending money.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Thyme » September 19th, 2011, 9:16 am

Lol Kim!
Thyme

Postby Tyler » September 19th, 2011, 9:56 am

Yeah - when those tables come out, those will be a must!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby meme » September 21st, 2011, 12:52 am

I want them and mats and more accessories, blades etc. but not sure when I can order.
meme

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help