Video Tut-Print and Cut Calibration with MTC

Video Tut-Print and Cut Calibration with MTC

Postby scrappydew » September 11th, 2011, 7:11 pm

So here's the next topic I decided to cover. I was working with Tyler on this video trying to make sure that common questions that he has seen would be answered.

Just like before can watch it on here - make sure you watch it in HD so you can see all the details ;) or you can log into Vimeo and actually download the video and store it to your ipad, computer..etc.

Somethings to note if you go to the actual youtube or vimeo web link you will see that the video is chaptered, just incase you need to revisit a certain topic or if you're not into all the "Why do we do this or what do these numbers mean" you can just skip a head to the next topic.

I hope the video makes sense remember you can pause if I go to fast ;)

Template download is from Tyler and is located here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11624463/mtc/calibrate.mtc

To view chapters, comment, or rate the video click on link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzAaGzEz2W4

Vimeo Video for Download (Must be logged in to Vimeo to download)
http://vimeo.com/28616669

I just added the Calibration Chart PDF it's a powerpoint slide from the video to help you remember what type of correction you should make UP vs. DOWN and X vs Y. Please disregard the numbers in the pdf as they were the numbers used in my example/video.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scrappydew on September 12th, 2011, 9:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
"If you always wait until the last minute... then it only takes a minute"
http://www.scrappydew.com
scrappydew

Re: Video Tut-Print and Cut Calibration with MTC

Postby Elizabeth » September 11th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Thanks!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Tyler » September 11th, 2011, 8:14 pm

It looks great, Rob! Thanks for doing this!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Phyllis » September 11th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Rob, this was perfect timing. I was getting ready to calibrate my machine with MTC for the second time (gave up the first time). Your video was great and I think I have my Cougar calibrated for PNC with MTC now. I'm getting ready to test it on an image. Thanks for doing this, I really appreciate it.

Edited to add: Got a perfect cut. I'm doing the happy dance right now.
Phyllis

Postby scrappydew » September 11th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Phyllis wrote:Rob, this was perfect timing. I was getting ready to calibrate my machine with MTC for the second time (gave up the first time). Your video was great and I think I have my Cougar calibrated for PNC with MTC now. I'm getting ready to test it on an image. Thanks for doing this, I really appreciate it.

Edited to add: Got a perfect cut. I'm doing the happy dance right now.

Very glad it worked out for you! - I couldn't have done the video without Tyler's help - Thanks T!
scrappydew

Postby Elizabeth » September 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Yay, Phllis! So glad you got it to work. I 'm happy dancing with you! (well, I'm in my Lazy Boy, but in my head I'm dancing!)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Phyllis » September 11th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Rob, yes Tyler is fabulous. I did watch his before and it was very thorough, I was just having issues and gave up, guess my mind was clearer tonight. LOL.
Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » September 11th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Yay, Phllis! So glad you got it to work. I 'm happy dancing with you! (well, I'm in my Lazy Boy, but in my head I'm dancing!)

Elizabeth, get out of that recliner and dance with me. :ROFLMBO: This is me dancing.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » September 12th, 2011, 3:37 am

Thank you Rob and Tyler, this is great!!
Thyme

Postby fairwayflunkie » September 12th, 2011, 7:11 am

What great timing...I want to do print and cut...yeah!!! Thanks guys!
Nancy
fairwayflunkie

Postby MeFlick » September 12th, 2011, 8:46 am

OOh Thanks - I NEED to check this one out for sure. My one nemesis is callibrating my machine for Print and Cut. If Rob's and Tyler's video can get me there "spot on" I will be for ever grateful! It's not the machine - its my brain and the X/Y concepts and small incremental fraction numbers that my brain struggles with and has never quite grasped!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby scrappydew » September 12th, 2011, 9:12 am

MeFlick wrote: It's not the machine - its my brain and the X/Y concepts and small incremental fraction numbers that my brain struggles with and has never quite grasped!

I'm with you on that one! It seems weird to have "x" go up and down and "y" go left and right. Totally opposite of what they teach you in school ;)

I added to the original post a PDF of one of the powerpoint slides that should help you with the X/Y concept. Good luck, and i'm positive you can do it!
scrappydew

Postby Tyler » September 12th, 2011, 9:16 am

Rob - you really did a great job!

This was the type of video I have been wanting done for some time. The one I did on it previously was spur of the moment, just to get people an idea of what they needed to do and the editing with it was very limited.

My hat's off to you for doing it and explaining it so clearly!
Tyler

Postby Tyler » September 12th, 2011, 9:19 am

scrappydew wrote:
MeFlick wrote: It's not the machine - its my brain and the X/Y concepts and small incremental fraction numbers that my brain struggles with and has never quite grasped!

I'm with you on that one! It seems weird to have "x" go up and down and "y" go left and right. Totally opposite of what they teach you in school ;)

I added to the original post a PDF of one of the powerpoint slides that should help you with the X/Y concept. Good luck, and i'm positive you can do it!

The funny thing is in the cougar plug-in, the X and Y are opposite. That really scrambled my brain at first lol
Tyler

Postby Phyllis » September 12th, 2011, 9:32 am

The XY direction was confusing me to, and if I remember correctly it was the other way for Signcut calibration. I was able to get a perfect calibration though, just can't cut due to crashes now. My Signcut just does not like PNC or my Mac one.

Guess Tyler was posting at the same time, guess it is the plug in that is different.
Phyllis

Postby Gigi » September 12th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Great job, Rob!! Even though I don't use MTC I watched it just to see how it works and it was all very clear.

So well done!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby fairwayflunkie » September 12th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Okay...dumb oberservation alert why don't we turn the paper to portrait, then the X and Y would be like we are used to....probably really dumb but I thought I would try...I always use portrait mode...
Nancy
fairwayflunkie

Postby Thyme » September 12th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Its actually better to always cut landscape mode, because the cutting is then mostly left to right on the longer cuts because then you cut down the possibility of skewing and therefore loosing accuracy
Thyme

Postby Phyllis » September 12th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Nancy, I was wondering the same thing but was afraid to ask, glad you did.

Dawn, thanks for the answer. I always use portrait mode and haven't noticed any problems but none of my cuts are more than 10-11 inches but that makes perfect sense. I am so glad we can always count on you and the other experts on here for answers. Big hug for you. I'm on my iPad or I would put the hug icon, don't know why it doesn't give me the option.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » September 12th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Thanks Phyllis, hugs always gratefully accepted!
Thyme

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help