Can one use BC for cake stuff?

Can one use BC for cake stuff?

Postby kathybessey » September 3rd, 2011, 3:09 pm

So my oldest daughter is a cake and cupcake creator. She absolutely loves my Cougar and all the things I can do with it. She had wanted to get a Cricut Cake machine before all the lawsuit stuff came down. Now she is wanting to know if she can use a Lynx for cutting designs out of gum paste and fondant. Would she need to get special mats (like PC's food mats) and cutting blades? She doesn't do paper or vinyl crafting so she doesn't need to worry about using food and other materials on the machine.
kathybessey

Re: Can one use BC for cake stuff?

Postby Thyme » September 3rd, 2011, 3:12 pm

It would depend on whether she was doing it for personal use or for sale. If its for sale then you need to check out food safety rules, over here it would not be permitted to sell the items created unless the machine was first classified as food safe
Thyme

Postby kathybessey » September 3rd, 2011, 3:13 pm

Ahhh, good point Dawn. Thanks
kathybessey

Postby Soraya » October 17th, 2011, 3:52 am

Sorry to intrude, but something similar came out in the craft edge forum. I recall that a lady was using her cricut expression to cut fondant or gum paste way before PC came out with the Cricut cake. To make a story short, Provocraft gave her hard time and she dumped her CE and got another brand. I'll try to find the thread for you. It may take a while, though.

By the way, the lady sells her products and offers classes. I'm pretty sure the thread will lead to the website. However, listen to Dawn and do your homework.
Soraya

Cutter: Black Cat 15"

Postby Soraya » October 17th, 2011, 2:44 pm

here is part of the thread. This is using the CE and SCAL

Step 1:
Go into SCAL... set your preferences to inkscape to import this file at the right size.

In SCAL2:

click on edit then on the dropdown menu,
click preferences
and make sure 90 inscape is selected for SVG DPI

this will import your svg at the size you created them in inkscape.

Step2:
Import the attached svg file (it was created in inkscape)

Set the file at the top left hand corner.... use the X and Y coordinates of 0 and 0.

Step 3:
Look at the levels. (on the top where File, Edit, Object... keep looking over to the right, next to Help is Window... Click on Window, then click on Level. In the window display box, look for the little triangle, click on it to see the various levels, to turn on or off, click on the eye next to each level)
Turn off the level with the large rectangle (the paper size being width 21cm and height 28.9cm - you don't want to cut that!)

Step4:
On your mat, put you cutting fondant or paper at the top left hand corner... the base corner that the file will cut from. Cut file.

I have made sure the circles will all fit on the width 21cm and height 28.9cm paper, and that the circles are inside the circut's cutting area (0.25inches) if you put the paper in the top corner.
Soraya

Postby Soraya » October 17th, 2011, 2:48 pm

here is a blog with instructions

http://www.creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com/
Soraya

Postby Soraya » October 17th, 2011, 2:51 pm

by the way, i just want to stress that you should listen to Dawn despite the info i presented.
Soraya

Postby kathybessey » October 17th, 2011, 8:49 pm

Thanks Soraya! I have been a fan of the cakelady for a long time. My daughter is a pastry artist and was considering a machine to do some of her cutting is why i was asking. We definitely do our homework before we jump into anything LOL I appreciate the willingness to give information. That is one of the things I love most about this forum!!!
kathybessey

Postby kim » October 17th, 2011, 9:34 pm

http://deseretdesigns.com/

The person you want to ask is Linda McClure at Deseret Designs. She is the one who used the CE to cut gumpaste and is in the business of cake decorating. She is also the one that PC took her idea and created the Cricut Cake after she showed them how to do it. She is a really sweet person and she will probably be more than willing to share any info she has. She now uses a Gazelle and, I think, the SIL Cameo. She has put out several DVD's on how to use the cutter in cake decorating. I believe she also shows how to make it food safe. She sent me several DVD's for my niece about all of this, but I didn't watch them. Just gave them to my niece.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Soraya » October 18th, 2011, 11:33 am

kathybessey wrote:Thanks Soraya! I have been a fan of the cakelady for a long time. My daughter is a pastry artist and was considering a machine to do some of her cutting is why i was asking. We definitely do our homework before we jump into anything LOL I appreciate the willingness to give information. That is one of the things I love most about this forum!!!

I'm always eager to be an enabler :D
Soraya

Postby Soraya » October 18th, 2011, 11:35 am

Kim,

that was the lady I was looking for but couldn't find the link! glad you knew the link.
Soraya

Postby kim » October 18th, 2011, 1:30 pm

She is in my neck of the woods and she is a REALLY SWEET lady. She is always helping out others and is such a talented person. I would say that if anyone knows how to make a cutter food safe, it would be her. My niece is also interested in cake decorating with the cutter and Linda was such a dear and sent her all her "old" DVD's that had to do with the Cricut.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Soraya » October 19th, 2011, 12:41 pm

I'm always glad when I hear about good people. we need more of these to keep to world going. :)
Soraya

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help