Foil and transparency

Foil and transparency

Postby Angel135612 » August 14th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Ever since I got my FM, I have been thinking of all the different things I wanted to try with it. I had a file of a butterfly that I wanted to foil, but was having a hard time getting it to cut out the way I wanted, so I could foil it. Here is a picture of it, so you can see what I'm talking about. Keep in mind that I also had Pennys idea of her butterflies going through my mind.. using the transparency, and making them 3D.
Butterfly pieces.jpg

Well the black part on the wings, is what I wanted to foil, but I wanted the 'holes' cut out, so that you could see the base layer underneath when I put it all together. When I tried to cut out the wings, my paper kept moving on me, and Dawn told me how to get the "holes" to cut first using Inkscape. So I broke apart the wings, and that gave me all the "pieces". SO now what is white in the image is now black.
Foil parts.JPG

When I looked at that... I had a light bulb go off, and had something else I wanted to test. I printed out just the "holes" of the wing, on transparency. Then I cut the outside of the shape. I took my little transparent butterfly, laid it on a piece of paper and put some foil down on it, and ran it through the FM. OMG!!!! It foiled beautifully!!! I still need to cut out the base part and the body. I want to foil the body also, using the gunmetal or bronze foil, but even if I keep the body at black, I think it will still look good. But now I can have a 3D butterfly like Penny makes, only using foil instead of alcohol inks. When I get them all finished.. I will try to take some pictures, but not sure how they will turn out, because the foil isn't easy to capture, nor is the transparency... but will see what I can come up with. Still have some more cutting and gluing to do though. I was just excited that my idea of foiling transparency worked like a charm!!!!
I still need to work on my PnC... I put 8 butterflys on my page, and some of them didn't cut around my "holes" like it should have... so need to work on my settings. I thought I had it, because I can get my test to cut out fine, but when I go to cut something else out... it always seems to be off.. so need to spend some time working on that.. but I did get 4 of my butterflys to cut out good enough to use for something. The other 4 I used to test how to foil.. so they weren't a total loss.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Foil and transparency

Postby Gigi » August 14th, 2011, 3:02 pm

That is fabulous Diane - cannot wait to see the finished product!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » August 14th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Love to see the finished butterflies, they sound great
Thyme

Postby PennyDuncan » August 14th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Me too..I can't wait to see!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » August 14th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Here are a couple of pictures.. of my test.. it isn't the greatest, but gives you an idea of what I'm trying to do. I need to adjust my base layer a bit smaller I think... and I used a copic marker to color in the body. The second picture shows the foil better.. the first one shows a shadow on the base from the foiled area.

Butterfle finished.jpg
Butterfly foiled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angel135612

Postby kathybessey » August 14th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Oh my goodness that is GORGEOUS! Great job Diane!!!!!!!!!!
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » August 14th, 2011, 4:15 pm

OH MY GOSH...... THOSE ARE SPECTACULAR!!! Yes I am yelling cuz they are that beautiful - they took my breath away!

I would not have thought to do that!! Those are just amazing! WOW!!! <<insert smilie giving you a standing ovation!!>>

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » August 14th, 2011, 4:22 pm

OH WOWZERS!!!! These are STUNNING!!!!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Barbara » August 14th, 2011, 7:54 pm

So beautiful. Need to try this. Thanks for explaining what you did
Barbara
Barbara

Postby MeFlick » August 14th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Beautiful Diane!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Thyme » August 15th, 2011, 2:36 am

Oh they are lovely!!
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » August 15th, 2011, 6:43 am

Diane - Amazing work and great thinking outside the box. Question though, for photo 2 when you showed the top layer with the foiling, are all the "inside" spots foiled with the green foil? That is really awesome. Also, if the butterfly is paulo's recent butterfly he posted, you ought to send him a photo of your work. I know he would be so pleased to see it.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Angel135612 » August 15th, 2011, 7:57 am

Pat, I used two colors of foil, green and purple. It just didn't show at all on the one picture, the angle was wrong. (That is what I hate about trying to take pictures of foiling.. hard to get it just right sometimes). And the butterfly is from a Lettering Delights set, Butterflies and Blossoms. I have been working on this for awhile trying to figure out how to do it, and I just saw Paulos butterfly yesterday. But I may have to try it with his butterfly and see how it comes out.
Angel135612

Postby Elsa » August 15th, 2011, 8:18 am

Those are beautiful!
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby Retta » August 15th, 2011, 9:21 am

You did it!!! Yea!!! I so am jealous. I love butterflies, foil and glitter!!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby JeannetteC » August 15th, 2011, 9:31 am

BEAUTIFUL!!!! What a smart way of using the different textures.
JeannetteC

Postby Elizabeth » August 15th, 2011, 9:56 am

Diane, that is so amazing! Don't you just love it when you can make your ideas come to life?!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby LisaH » August 15th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Beautiful Diane!
LisaH

Postby kim » August 15th, 2011, 3:50 pm

OMG those are GORGEOUS Diane! I never even thought about foiling butterfly wings. Gotta work on that. I've been busy getting DH's business sign done.

Whcih, by the way, foiling does do well on black glossy paper. The peallics black paper works well. I did the company logo on white glossy paper and put it into a floating glass frame. That looked really good. But I wanted "pop". So I ordered some Black Glossy paper from Marco's Paper. It just arrived and I tried it out. Foil specks are all over the glossy paper and I tried several heat settings, but it just wouldn't come out clean. So I tried the Petallics. I used the Gold Spectre foil and it looks GREAT. Nothing so special to take a pic of...just company name and border within a frame, but it sure beats paying over $70 for a name plate for the office door. And it is different and eyecatching. DH is very pleased with it and, he doesn't know it yet, but the money we saved on the sign will go into my crafting kitty.

Oh!! And I got my last shipment of foil from Dawn!!! I was beginning to get worried about it, since I had it down to receive earlier, but figured the riots in the UK may slow down the mail. Well, the red spectre reminds me of candy apple red. It is gorgeous, stunning. I also got the gold and the silver spectres and a couple of other colors to make it almost the full set. My little bit of enabling....if there is one color you need to get for foiling for Xmas or Valentine's....besides the obvious gold, get the red spectre. You will not regret getting that color!!!
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Gigi » August 15th, 2011, 5:51 pm

So glad to hear the design turned out wonderful - had not doubt that it would. Would love to see it - really.

And too funny about the red spectre - am waiting for mine to come. I think all of the spectres are stunning and I love the way they play with the light .

And you have a lot of enabling to do to catch up with everyone else!! :ROFLMBO:

Gigi
Gigi

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help