KNK plug in to do my PnC???

KNK plug in to do my PnC???

Postby kathybessey » August 7th, 2011, 1:04 am

When I first got Clawdine I played with the numbers and got PnC to work for me. When I moved and got all settled in I tired another PnC (and during the Christmas Crop) and the PnC is not dead on like it was before with my numbers.

I keep hearing about this plug in to use for PnC with the BC machines - do I need that?

Tired and confused (oh and now there are pretty red and blue flashing lights outside my house - hope they are not after me LOL)
kathybessey

Re: KNK plug in to do my PnC???

Postby Sharon » August 7th, 2011, 8:06 am

I've never done a PNC so I can't answer your question. I thought I would add one to yours though. Can you use a color laser printer to do a PNC? We only have laser printers.
Sharon

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Postby Thyme » August 7th, 2011, 8:45 am

Yes a colour laser is fine
Thyme

Postby gardencat » August 7th, 2011, 8:54 am

I don't see why you couldn't use a color laser, as long as you print the registration marks. With the cougar and KNK plug in you set the laser to the registration marks yourself, by hand, so as long as you can see the marks and line them up with the laser it should be fine.

Kathybessey I'm wondering wnat you are using for pand c now. I've been using the KNK plug in with MTC, and it is working fine, but I too am a bit worried about what will happen if I move the machine or, especially, change to a different kind of blade holder. If I understand correctly, the numbers adjust for the space between where the laser mark is and where the point if the cutting knife is,so if you do anything that might alter that, you might have to recalibrate and find new numbers. The good news is, I don't think the numbers would be off much because your blade position shouldn't change that much and I have a feeling once you go through the calibration a few times you'll get better and faster at figuring out how much adjustment you need and in which direction.
Now I'll step back and wait for someone like Dawn, who knows so much more about these machines, give you the official answer. LOL
gardencat

Postby Tyler » August 7th, 2011, 9:48 am

It honestly doesn't change that much, and once you have done it once and you know the process, it really isn't too hard to calibrate a second time. Generally, it is only a fraction of a mm off when you change.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby kathybessey » August 7th, 2011, 10:06 am

So I never used the plugin before, I just calibrated my machine (found my numbers) and it worked like a dream. So I really don't need this plugin, just need to find my numbers again right?
kathybessey

Postby Thyme » August 7th, 2011, 10:55 am

Moving the machine is very unlikely to cause you to have to change your numbers. A different blade holder will cause a change but it will be only a tiny bit. I always use the same holder for print and cut so never need to change them
Thyme

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 11:25 am

Thyme wrote:Moving the machine is very unlikely to cause you to have to change your numbers. A different blade holder will cause a change but it will be only a tiny bit. I always use the same holder for print and cut so never need to change them

Wise woman!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CaseysAngel » August 7th, 2011, 1:37 pm

I do use the KNK plug in for print and cut now but I surely don't like it. Call me crazy but the idea of having to use ANYTHING with the KNK name makes me ill. It's just a moral thing for me I guess. I can't wait until Andy just add's it for the BC if and when he ever does.

That being said it does work great (and that's an MTC compliment certainely NOT a knk one). I didn't mess with it at first because mine was pretty much perfect before but when I had to get the Epson number and the Laser numbers I went ahead and used Krap N Kut plug in.
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 2:01 pm

LOL Christy!! That is too funny!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kathybessey » August 7th, 2011, 2:18 pm

Hmmm I will just work on recalibrating my numbers - haven't changed blade holders or anything else. But now my printer won't work so I can't do anything anyway! Ugh this day is just going down the tubes fast!
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Oh Kathy - am so sorry. Hopefully you can get the printer to work. Did you try rebooting? Sometimes that helps when my printer has an "attitude".

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CaseysAngel » August 7th, 2011, 4:53 pm

how far off are you honey? It shouldn't be to far even with changing the blade honey.
CaseysAngel

Postby HappyCrafter » August 7th, 2011, 6:04 pm

I had my PnC down perfect before the KNK plug-in. After I installed the KNK plug-in my PnC's are off. Not much, but enough to be aggravating. I must have wasted 25 pieces of printer paper this week trying to get it and never did. It sure would have been helpful to be able to change the x and y just a bit. :banghead:
HappyCrafter

Postby kathybessey » August 7th, 2011, 6:12 pm

Yep I have rebooted, taken the printer head out and re-installed it (the error says that printer head is not installed but it was). I've done everything the troubleshooting guide tells me to. Next step is on-line customer service - haven't had time to try that yet.

The PnC is off enough to be aggravating like HappyCrafter said LOL - it cuts through the item on one side and leaves various white gaps on the other sides. It's not off a lot, just now I can't recalibrate. I refuse to do that plug in unless it was absolutely necessary!
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 6:18 pm

I have to say (and I never thought I would) that is one of the reasons I love Inkscape. Once you understand it and get it - that's it. You always have your numbers to fall back on, and it's just a matter of lining up the registration marks, which really does get easier over time.

I am so sorry you wasted so much paper. That is how I felt when I was learning to do PNC on Inkscape and Signcut - I didn't think I would ever get it. I am sure I would be even MORE frustrated it I had it and then changed the software and it didnt work after that.

I hope you get it figured out soon so you can get back to having some fun!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Phyllis » August 7th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Kathy, hope you get it wo work. I know how frustrating when things just don't work out, I've been there this week also.

Christy, you are funny but I so agree. I did finally learn to do PNC with Inkscape and Signcut, just a little problem in Signcut that Dawn is working on. I am soooo impressed with Inkscape and Signcut but may, just maybe, see if MTC will work, still haven't made up my mind since I'm removing MTC off my Mac and putting it on my Windows laptop. I just hate to lose it entirely.
Phyllis

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help