My SB just did a machine gun imitation....eeep!

Re: My SB just did a machine gun imitation....eeep!

Postby LisaH » November 29th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Will keep my fingers crossed ;)
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Elizabeth » November 29th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Sounds like you have your problem solved. Yay!

(hope your DH is ok! Sounds owie!)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby reactiveaz » December 3rd, 2012, 2:10 pm

Just when I thought life was good......I moved the exact same file I had previously cut perfectly to my laptop (same operating system, same everything) and it did it again. I just for the life of me can't figure out what is happening here. I've uploaded a short video showing what it does.

It doesn't do it in the same spot each time. I have also tried to upload the new file I created and it tells me this: Cutfile1.scut2 => The extension scut2 is not allowed.
Cutfile1.scut2 => The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector.

Could there be a problem cutting an SCUT 2 file in SCUT 3?

I'm at my wits end over this and need to get these vinyls cut as our stock is running low. If I have to only cut one set instead of more at once I'll be unhappy as the whole idea was to be able to cut many at a time.

Thank you for any help!
Michele
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reactiveaz

Postby Gigi » December 3rd, 2012, 3:14 pm

The SCUT file error is the forum - you need to zip SCUT files before uploading them.......

Going to watch the video now
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby reactiveaz » December 3rd, 2012, 3:31 pm

Thanks for the hint Gigi! Here's the cut file attachment.
I'm hoping some of you will try to cut this (it's a busy file--I've been using it without a blade to save material) but the result is the same, blade or not.
Michele
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reactiveaz

Postby Gigi » December 3rd, 2012, 5:53 pm

Wow it is busy!! I am cutting it now on lightweight paper just to see what happens......!!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby reactiveaz » December 3rd, 2012, 6:02 pm

Thanks Gigi, I appreciate the effort!
reactiveaz

Postby Gigi » December 3rd, 2012, 6:15 pm

Well - I cut it at a speed of 400 and it cut it beautifully. Would have thought I needed the detail blade but I had no problems so it's not the file. I would contact Sherri. I already sent her the video of the machine so she is aware.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby reactiveaz » December 3rd, 2012, 6:23 pm

Thank you Gigi, I'll email her and ask for her thoughts. I can't believe it cut perfectly for you!! LOL! I guess its a good thing since it means I don't have to redo all my sheets from scratch :)
reactiveaz

Postby Gigi » December 3rd, 2012, 10:55 pm

You are welcome - wish I could be more help.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby DLThompson06 » February 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

I know this is an old post, but I'm so glad I ran across it. I have run into this problem a LOT. I do a lot of cutting with my Silver Bullet, and it consistently does this to me when I send a large amount of intricate cuts. It's so disheartening to be half way through a cut and have it do the "machine gun" thing. Not only does it ruin the piece I was cutting, but the blade goes all the way to the right hand side, which means that it scrapes along the white cutting strip and ruins the blade too. I have learned over time approximately how much I can cut at one time, having to break up my large cut into several smaller cuts, but this is honestly a real pain, because I have to keep coming back to the machine and have it cut the next part. It would be such a dream to be able to have it cut the entire thing at once. Even my Silhouette Cameo can do that. I purchased the SB to replace my SC, but there are some things that I just haven't been able to figure out yet on the SB. This is one of them. I actually came to the forum to see if I could find anything more about why the baud rate needs to be set at 38,400, wondering if that may possibly have an effect. I have an SB 24" if that makes any difference. Thanks for any and all input!
DLThompson06

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Re: My SB just did a machine gun imitation....possible SOLUT

Postby DLThompson06 » February 2nd, 2014, 10:07 am

Hi Michele, I know it's been over a year since your post, but I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem. I've been battling the same thing ever since I got my SB in October, and it's' been driving me crazy. Yesterday, I think I figured out a solution. I suspected that it had to do with too much data being sent to the machine at once, and I was looking for a way to slow it down. I tried a lot of different things, but what finally seems to have done the trick was to switch out the USB cable I was using from a high speed 2.0 cable to an old 1.1, the theory being that 1.x cables have slower data transfer rates. And guess what? It worked! My machine used to do the machine gun thing at around 9 minutes into the cutting, but yesterday it successfully cut my whole file (over an hour) without doing it.

I suspect that some who have never run into this problem are either 1) not cutting huge data-heavy files; 2) they're using an old 1.1 cable already; 3) their computer USB port is an older 1.1, which would slow the data transfer speed, even if using a 2.0 cable or 4) their USB cable is connected to a USB 1.1 hub, which I think would also slow the transfer of data.

So to try this out on your own, remove the blade and media from your machine, and then see if you can find either an old 1.0 or 1.1 USB cable around your house (or ask a friend who never throws anything away!) To tell whether a cable is 1.x or 2.0, it may be marked along the length of the cable (either 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0). Also, most 2.0 cables have a "+" on the USB logo (see picture here):

http://ww3.microtek.com.tw/tw/uploads/f ... cable3.pdf

If you can't find an old 1.x USB cable, it might work if you have a USB 1.1 hub. Just run the 2.0 cable from your computer to the USB hub, and then another cable from the hub to the SB. As long as the hub is 1.1, I believe it will slow the transfer of data, even with 2.0 cables, though I'm not positive.

That said, this solution worked for ME, but I'm really curious if it will work for others. If anyone tries it out, please let us know if it worked for you.
Last edited by DLThompson06 on February 4th, 2014, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLThompson06

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Postby Elizabeth » February 3rd, 2014, 6:59 pm

That's great information. Thanks for sharing your solution. I typically don't cut really large files, but I will certainly tuck this solution away for later use.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby reactiveaz » February 27th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Hi all,
I did find a solution to the problem, and as you mentioned DL, it is indeed too much data going to the cutter at one time. It just can't sort it out. 3 things helped:
1. Shari at SB sent me a special cable that "slows" the data down so the cutter can interpret at the proper speed. (I can't remember the exact name of the cable but I'm sure if you explained to Shari, she'll know exactly which one it is!)
2. I had to reduce my nodes as much as I could without hurting my final design
3. I had to reduce the amount of node heavy designs I was cutting at once.
I was trying to cut ten 6"x12" heavy node designs in one cut session. WAY too much! Now, with the cable, I can cut four of these designs at once. That works for me since the machine gun was rattling my nerves!! :D

Hope this helps! Keep up the good design work everyone!
Michele
reactiveaz

Postby Elizabeth » February 27th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Glad to hear you got it worked out, Michelle!

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » February 27th, 2014, 10:46 pm

reactiveaz wrote:Hi all,
I did find a solution to the problem, and as you mentioned DL, it is indeed too much data going to the cutter at one time. It just can't sort it out. 3 things helped:
1. Shari at SB sent me a special cable that "slows" the data down so the cutter can interpret at the proper speed. (I can't remember the exact name of the cable but I'm sure if you explained to Shari, she'll know exactly which one it is!)
2. I had to reduce my nodes as much as I could without hurting my final design
3. I had to reduce the amount of node heavy designs I was cutting at once.
I was trying to cut ten 6"x12" heavy node designs in one cut session. WAY too much! Now, with the cable, I can cut four of these designs at once. That works for me since the machine gun was rattling my nerves!! :D

Hope this helps! Keep up the good design work everyone!
Michele

I am guessing it was a keyspan cable. So glad you got it worked out.

Gigi
Gigi

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help