HELP!!! New user...

HELP!!! New user...

Postby mrsv » February 22nd, 2014, 2:49 am

Unfortunately I was too excited and tried using the machine without trying the test pen! Eeeek...anyhow...I have NEVER every used a die cut machine...

I tried to cute card stock...it didn't work...then I switched to vinyl...and I seemed to have gotten that to work BUT...I printed the word LOVE...and the LOV are perfect but the E was a disaster!!! What happened??? What am I doing wrong? Also...is there a guide to settings for each form of media or is it just trial and error?
mrsv

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Re: HELP!!! New user...

Postby Gigi » February 22nd, 2014, 4:25 am

Sounds like you learned the hard way about the value of the test pen - it really does help.

There is a suggested list of media settings in the learning center under FAQ. But even with the suggested settings, there is still trial and error involved. Every machine is a little different and how much the blade is sticking out also makes a difference - there are a lot of variables so those are just suggestions. I really recommend using the test cut feature as detailed in the learning center. It will keep you from wasting material that you love and will save your blades and mat from accidentally using too much pressure. I still use the test cut when I am just not sure - it just takes a few extra seconds and is so worth it. After a while you will get pretty good at just knowing about what it will take to cut a certain piece of card stock, for instance, but it's always good to test cut to be sure as density and even color can make a difference. And keep a notebook of your settings and media so you will have an easy reference.

There is a learning curve to this machine and I highly recommend you take your time and do simple things first to get a feel for it so you don't accidentally ruin the mat or the blade - trust me we have all been down this road and it just takes a little time to get the hang of it!!

Without seeing the file that you cut or knowing what you mean by disaster, it's hard to say what went wrong. When you cut the vinyl were you using a mat? Did you brayer the vinyl to the mat and did you use the blade setting tool? Need more details to take a guess at what went wrong. Can you describe what happened to the letter E? I would be happy to look at the file if you want to upload it.

I know how tempting it is to just want to cut something and have that success, but working your way slowly through the learning center is really worth the extra time to get a good understanding of the machine. And we will all be here to help and encourage you along the way if you need it.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » February 22nd, 2014, 10:39 am

Hello! I have nothing to add to Gigi's good advice. The Silver Bullet does take a bit of time and patience to learn, but you will be rewarded for your effort with the ability to cut a wide range of materials with amazing speed, power, and accuracy. Make the test button your friend, and as Gigi says, keep a notebook of your settings. Getting your feet wet with simple shapes before moving on to text may help as well. Fonts can be tricky, because of the large number of nodes that many of them have. You will learn more about nodes as you go through the software tutorials.

We are here to help along the way!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby mrsv » February 22nd, 2014, 11:34 am

Here is a pic...I have since learned to cut the vinyl without cutting all the way through the paper...so the first 3 letters are perfect and the last one is horrible??? Any suggestions...?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrsv

Postby Gigi » February 22nd, 2014, 12:31 pm

Back to my original question - if you were using a mat, did you brayer the vinyl onto the mat? Are you using the tables to keep the mat and material level? Since your other letters were ok, it looks to me like the "E" wasnt flat so the blade was cutting through some of it and just catching the rest. Just a guess without more details..

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LisaH » February 22nd, 2014, 4:26 pm

That would be my first guess as well, Gigi. The material was used in conjunction with a mat and not adhered properly by using a brayer.

I would highly suggest you take the time to really get to know your machine by going through the Learning Center, and by that I mean take your time, read it all as well as watch the videos. I know how exciting it is to have that lovely cutter sitting there waiting on you, but believe me, it's worth the time to take it slower in the beginning and really get to know the machine and how it works as well as learning the software and how it communicates with the machine. This extra effort and the pain of waiting - LOL - will save you lots of headaches and ruined projects, mats & blades. We've all been there and lots of us have learned the hard way! ;)
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » February 22nd, 2014, 7:07 pm

I agree with Gigi and Lisa, go through the Learning Center and take your time to learn the machine. I'm sure people are tired of hearing this, but it REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Just from looking at your picture, besides the suggestions that Gigi and Lisa made about making sure the media was securely brayered onto your mat, it looks to me as if there might have been a bit of vinyl that may have gotten stuck in the blade. There is a little spot on the V where it looks like it may not have cut cleanly, and that could have stuck in your blade, making it difficult for the blade to move well for the E. So that along with the vinyl maybe not being securely brayered down, could have caused the problem.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby mrsv » February 23rd, 2014, 6:45 pm

Thank you all for
Your help!!! I've given myself a few days off...but I'm going to really learn what I need to before I start cutting again! Yes...I am anxious...but I want to learn the "right way"...oh and yes...I used the mat...:) you will be hearing from me again! Lol
mrsv

Postby kim » February 23rd, 2014, 7:15 pm

LOL...yes, you need to take the time to learn your machine. IT's hard....I know. YOu just want to jump in and start cutting. But if you take the time to learn the machine, the rewards will be great!!! And you get to learn from our mistakes. LOL. TEst pen, test cuts and brayering will become second nature. Good luck and let us know if you need any help.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby mrsv » February 26th, 2014, 7:33 pm

I have another question...How do I know if I need another blade? I have been trying to cut a cardstock...and it doesn't cut all the way through or if it does it tears on the edges... OR do I run a repeat? and keep the pressure low?
mrsv

Postby Gigi » February 26th, 2014, 8:50 pm

You shouldn't need another blade already unless you have chipped it which is easy to do especially for a new user - been there done that!! To check, take the blade out and hold it up to a magnifying glass. You can tell if there is a chip.

When you do a test cut on the card stock, is the cut clean on that? it should be clean except for one corner that will have a little shad. Are you brayering the card stock down on the mat? There are a lot of things that will cause the card stock to tear - there is a list of things to check in the learning center under FAQ ( it is the last question).

You will be surprised at how much information is there that may be helpful. Let us know....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » February 26th, 2014, 9:17 pm

I agree...the Learning Center is such a wealth of helpful information!!! Like Gigi said there are so many factors you need to check for....you can get a magnifying glass and see if you've chipped your blade.....if you hit it on the edge of your mat it's super easy to chip the blade......I think we've all done it a time or two when getting used to our machines.....
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

another new owner

Postby aliciaretired » February 28th, 2014, 7:33 pm

I too just received my SB today...I am looking for the example sheet Penney Duncan made on cutting different medias. Any suggestions where to find it
aliciaretired

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » February 28th, 2014, 8:03 pm

It is in the Learning Center under FAQ.

Again, remember it is just a guide of suggested places to start. Every machine is different and the test cut is the best thing to use to figure out what force is needed on what you are cutting.

I suggest starting with the test pen if you are not familiar with cutting machines to get used to where things will cut in relation to the software and the machine.

Everything you need to get started you will find in the learning center - enjoy!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » March 1st, 2014, 9:45 am

Yay, Alicia! Have fun with your new "toy"!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help