New mats

New mats

Postby pigtailpat » August 3rd, 2011, 7:03 pm

are now red instead of orange.......interesting. Mine has to flatten (rolled up in tube), before I can try to use it. Hope it flattens by the weekend....itching to try a larger size cut.

Detail holder looks so awesome, those blades are tiny, tiny! I do have to finish my charity quilt though, I have a meeting on Friday and I must be done to a certain point.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: New mats

Postby Suzan » August 3rd, 2011, 7:05 pm

Pat when you put the detail blade together, do it over a towel. Those little springs, going boingity boing really easy and bounce a lot.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » August 3rd, 2011, 7:24 pm

I am such a coward - I have my detail blade holder in a baggie and it just sits there!!! I am afraid to use it and lose something - but also really haven't needed it - luckily!

Good luck Pat - would love to hear how you like it!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CaseysAngel » August 3rd, 2011, 8:05 pm

yes I have already lost one spring and I never did find that bogger . I lost it in the video, had to re-do the video, and have yet to find it MONTHS later. I'm convinced it went under the baseboard.LOL

and I definaely love the new mat!!!
CaseysAngel

Postby pigtailpat » August 3rd, 2011, 8:30 pm

there's going to be a delay in experimenting with the detail holder. Mine shipped without the brass inside barrel for some weird reason - I've notified sherri and she said to send it back and she'll replace (and sherri got back to me pronto - she really gives me great service) - it's not really a big deal as I have the mat to experiment with when it flattens out. I really have to spend alot of tomorrow doing the quilt anyway. I finished for the night on it - did the ironing part. Tomorrow is finishing the rest of the piecing the other way of the 9 patch. I want to be ready for Friday, because then I get to learn how to re-cut the 9 patches and re-assemble for the "disappearing" part. Once I am done with that part, I can actually piece together ALL of the patches to form my very first quilt top! I never ever got this far in doing a quilt, and I am very excited about it.

Gigi - if I were you with a detail holder in my hot little hand, I would be experimenting away. Have no fear! You just have to be careful with putting it together- otherwise it should be like cutting with anything else. It was my plan to start using it with less pressure and gradually increase until I felt the blade could handle it. That test button is my best friend.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Angel135612 » August 3rd, 2011, 8:45 pm

Pat, the Disappearing 9 Patch is a great quilt as a first quilt!!! I haven't made one yet, but I know about them and how they are made. It is on my list of quilts to make, but I need more time in the day. My very first quilt was a Trip Around the World... I enjoyed working on that so much that I ended up making 7 of them in one year... for every one in my family for a Christmas gift that year.. then the next year, I made one more for my BF. Now these were all lap sized, not bed sized... and I wasn't working much overtime at that time.. so I had lots of time to spend on them when I got home from work (plus I hadn't met my BF until later in the year, and started these in Jan or Feb.. so not much except my quilting or other crafts was taking up my time back then). Would love to see a picture of it when you get the top complete.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » August 3rd, 2011, 8:58 pm

Diane - I plan to take a picture, as I have to give up the quilt to charity. These ladies are fantastic. What they do, they teach newbies how to quilt, they give me material, free, and in exchange my work is donated to the hospital (the quilts actually go to patients, they are not sold). It is such a win-win-win for everyone. But, I have been warned, after spending so much time on it, it is hard to give up, but I will do it! This group allows me to work at completing a long-held desire of completing an actual quilt (from start to finish), for little money investment (all I do is spend on thread). Doing things this way gives me the experience and I can reach my goal, and allowed me to spend money elsewhere (guess where). When I am ready, I will upgrade my sewing machine, I have a 20+ year old singer, but not before everything cougar is in the can!

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » August 3rd, 2011, 10:09 pm

Pat -

I guess I would or will be experimenting when I need more detailed cuts, but for now the blade I have in has been managing everything beautifully! I will play with it eventually!! :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General