Calling Kim - regarding your nativity file & paper..

Calling Kim - regarding your nativity file & paper..

Postby pigtailpat » July 27th, 2011, 8:18 am

Kim -

Question for you on your nativity file. Would you recommend cutting that on worldwin textweight or coverweight paper?

The cut scene will go on a coverweight background paper for contrast........but the actual cut itself, I wanted to see from you whether you thought textweight is better for the actual cut.........(petallics of course)......

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Calling Kim - regarding your nativity file & paper..

Postby kim » July 27th, 2011, 10:38 am

good morning Pat....I used the textweight Petallics. I just love that stuff. I haven't tried the cardstock weight.

I didn't want a real bulky card, so I just used the text weight for both the front lattice layer and the backing. I'm still trying to figure a better font to pen the verse with.

And there is a "note" section in MTC that I have explained how I put it together. I'm a newbie at that kind of stuff, so you may figure out a better way. But since I wanted it to fold and lay flat for mailing, it was the way I came up with.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby pigtailpat » July 27th, 2011, 10:45 am

Kim - thanks. True - if both the cut and the backing is textweight, that means lighter for mailing postage.......

good consideration. Thanks for the feedback........

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby kim » July 27th, 2011, 11:06 am

Pat,
The textweight has enough stiffness that it stands up well. I did do another prototype with blue vellum as the backing. I loved the look of the vellum, but then I had to rework the back to give it a more finished look and didn't want to cover up the vellum. I love the look but it just doesn't have enough stiffness to hold up the the top just sortof droops over. So I just scratched that idea.

I did put some different size rhinestones, mostly the really tiny ones and just stuck them in different places in the "sky" and it really made the card look so much more beautiful. Not a whole bunch, but a few here and there. I don't remember if I had the larger rhinestone on when I took the picture, but I put one right in the middle of the Star of Bethlehem.
kim

Postby pigtailpat » July 27th, 2011, 11:25 am

that is a great idea for rhinestones..another question - the width of the complicated cut portions is 10.8125 - can I get away with cutting this on 8.5 x 11 paper? Or is that asking too much? There's a big price difference between 8.5 x 11 -vs - 12 x 12. I'm going to have to go with cover weight for the backing because my color choice (the gold ore) is not available in text weight, they discontinued the text weight in that color a while back..........(sigh......) I know I should probably do a blue background for the sky....but love that gold......
pigtailpat

Postby kim » July 27th, 2011, 5:45 pm

I actually cut it with the SIL because I was testing it out at the time. I used the letter size Petallics and I cut the max that the SIL would handle. I didn't get any of the 12 x 12 petallics. I figured the uses I had for it, I could get by with letter size. Cheaper, so I get more colors.
kim

Postby kim » July 27th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Hey, I have some Gold that I got at HL and it is either the vellum or Petallics, but it is text weight and letter size. I just bought it because it was on sale/clearance. You want it, I will mail it to you. I don't know how many I have, but its yours.
kim

Postby kim » July 27th, 2011, 5:59 pm

i have 7 sheets. i have a whole ream of the dark blue.
kim

Return to General