Questions About Cutting Vinyl

Questions About Cutting Vinyl

Postby sisson101 » July 25th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Okay guys I know this has probably been beaten to death but I can't find it quickly and was hoping someone who is oneline can help me.

I want to cut out some vinyl. In the past I have always cut the vinyl attached to a mat. However, I want to cut the vinyl from the roll. I already know the force, velocity and blade depth - what I need to know is how do I set the blade placement?

Before I would use WYSISYG or Knife Point with the KNK plug-in --- sorry using MTC and have a cougar 15". Do I not do any adjustments when I turn on my machine other than velocity and force and load the vinyl so that it just catches the rollers? Will it cut, I guess you would say, forward coming toward me?

Any help please would be appreciated.
sisson101

Re: Questions About Cutting Vinyl

Postby LisaH » July 25th, 2011, 7:13 pm

This I don't know, but am sure someone will be along that can answer your question.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby kim » July 25th, 2011, 7:19 pm

It's the same as using a mat, just not having the mat underneath. The machine doesn't know the difference. Load it just like you usually do, making sure that at least two rollers are on the vinyl. Just pretend that there is a mat underneath.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby sisson101 » July 25th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Would you load your vinyl so that it is feeding toward the back of the machine? Or, would you feed it so that the vinyl is feeding toward the front - coming at you?
sisson101

Postby sisson101 » July 25th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Okay I've decied that I will go play with the pen to see which way the design will feed and if using the WYSIWYG is better or worse than laser registration or knife point on the knk plug in.

Thanks Kim and Lisa.
sisson101

Postby pigtailpat » July 25th, 2011, 8:25 pm

I think the best way to decide is to "aircut" with no pen or bladeholder in the machine at all, just to see which way loading makes sense. When using .mtc, I have a tendency to load the machine from the back - I go around and stick the material from the back feed it towards me, and I position to the right lower right hand corner, and use the KNK knifepoint. This way, the design in .mtc usually makes it way from the front to the back if you can understand what I mean. This is the way I have gotten accustomed to working, because I like to see the cutting process. If I front load, I would not be able to see the process as well, so I developed this habit. In addition, the gazzy cuts this same way, so I am used to it (except with the gazzy you must front load because that is the only way - but you front load all the way to the back). I have not yet cut rolled vinyl - so I am not sure if backloading would work in the same way, but if it were me, I would have a go at aircutting first to see if feeding roll vinyl that way will make sense. If I have confused you more, I'll stop now........

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby sisson101 » July 26th, 2011, 2:12 am

No, no Pat that makes perfect sense. Sometimes you get so involved in a project you don't see an easy solution. You're right - air cut is the way to go. Kinda gave up earlier, now can't wait for kids to get up so I can try this. Thanks so much.
sisson101

Return to General