11%
No - I do not have them but want one
21%
No - I do not have them and don't really care about them
11%

Total votes : 28

Copic Markers

Postby Tyler » July 21st, 2011, 9:45 pm

Will someone please explain to me why copic markers are so good? I don't see the difference between them and any other marker, other than they are alcohol ink based, refillable, and the "in thing" . Does it make your work that much better? Is it like a distressing pad on a stick? I know people like them for airbrushing as well, but I probably wouldn't be doing that. So other than the fact that people like them so much, what is it specifically that they like about them? Pictures of what they can do or what you have done with them?

I could get them at an amazing price compared to every other store, but not sure if they are worth it...

Feel free to vote at the top of the page - I am curious!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: Copic Markers

Postby LisaH » July 21st, 2011, 10:00 pm

They are extremely blendable and smooth looking, even using different colors, not just shades of a color. Love them!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » July 21st, 2011, 10:37 pm

Exactly what I was thinking - they are so beautifully blendable. And you can color brads, flowers, buttons eyelets, metal hinges even ribbon to match whatever your project is.

I fought using them for a long time - used Prismacolor pencils for years (and still do at times) but the copics just make everything look so finished . There is no way I can get the same effect with other markers that I can with the Copics. And I love the colorless blender - it will pull color off so your mistakes vanish - or you can make designs with it and so many other things. There are just so many things you can do with them. I don't regret having them at all.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Tyler » July 21st, 2011, 11:06 pm

that colorless blender - can it take ink out/neutralize the ink color with paper? I wouldn't think that is possible...
Tyler

Postby Angel135612 » July 21st, 2011, 11:44 pm

What I like about the Copics is that they are alcohol based, and they come in so many colors. While you could color your embellishments with the Tim Holtz alcohol inks, they don't come in as many colors, so you can't always match what you are doing. And I think using the markers, you don't waste as much ink, when you are coloring something small as you would with the Tim Holtz inks.

Tyler, are you saying you can get them to carry in your store?? Or just get some at a great price for your personal use?
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 22nd, 2011, 12:10 am

Tyler wrote:that colorless blender - can it take ink out/neutralize the ink color with paper? I wouldn't think that is possible...

Gosh Tyler - I am no expert. But I would say yes that it does neutralize it.

This is off the copic site-

"Effects with the Colorless Blender

With the colorless blender, we expect blending, but it really does the following best:

Lightens Color
Pushes color
Fades color to white
Great for Special Effects
Blends Colors
Fade to white by pushing colors

Start with an area that you’ve only colored the edges. Make sure you have good scratch paper under your work for this technique.
Color from the lightest spot, out towards the edges. Don’t stop in the middle or it will give you ugly lines/streaks. Use a lot of blender, so it’s really juicy and is shoving that color around very strongly.
Color almost to the edge, but not over. Remember, your color is getting pushed in front of your blender, so if you color up to the line it will go over. Also note how dark the color is around the edge. This is at least 1 or 2 shades darker than my original color, so try this technique with lighter colors until you get an idea of how it will react. If you need it lighter then let it dry and repeat.
If you want a nice subtle shadow that fades out from your image then try the same thing, only use a lot less blender and a much lighter touch."

Does that help? It is ethanol based. There is a good description here - similar to what I copied but it shows color examples http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... ender.html

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Tyler » July 22nd, 2011, 12:16 am

Technically either...

Though I don't think I would ever put them in the store as a product. If I would put them in the store individually, they would end up being probably at least 4.50 a piece, unless I did kits and that could get them down as much as 3 dollars a piece. Most people could just go down the street and get them, plus I would have to keep them in stock and I don't think I have anywhere near the funds to do that. I guess I could do custom orders.
Tyler

Postby kathybessey » July 22nd, 2011, 12:43 am

Well I am a novice with copics and can't do your survey as none of the answers fit me LOL. I just recently purchased two Copic markers -- a great one for coloring in faces, arms, hands, etc. and a beautiful teal that I just fell in love with. I plan to purchase more a little bit at a time as I cannot afford to drop a lot of money on a kit or several pens at once.
kathybessey

Postby LisaH » July 22nd, 2011, 6:19 am

Tyler, make sure of which ones you can get, etc. There are a few different kinds, but I think most people (crafters) use either the Caio / Sketch series.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby MeFlick » July 22nd, 2011, 9:11 am

Marianne Walker is THE expert on Copic Markers. She does all sorts of Tutorials and things on her blog, I Like Markers.

Here is a link to it: http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/

I seem to "collect" Copic Markers along with my many other crafting collections! LOL They really do look great though when used and are very blendable. I think they look much more vibrant where using the colored pencils and gamasol gives more of a light, subtle coloring.

Recently some crafters have started swearing by Letraset's Promarkers. They say they are as good as Copics and a lot cheaper but I don't think they yet have the color variety that Copics have. I haven't tried any of those yet so can't tell you any comparisons.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Angel135612 » July 22nd, 2011, 9:40 am

Does any one use more than one type marker together? I was just wondering how the different alcohol markers would work together. I have some copics, but none of the others, and debating if I should continue with my copics, even if the prices are going up, or switch to another type.
Angel135612

Postby Gigi » July 22nd, 2011, 10:27 am

I just got an email from the site where I get my Copic markers and other things. This is a newly designed marker, refillable, and it says the colors coordinate with the Copics. There are only 168 I think, and even though the price on the site says 4.49, when you put it in your cart it's 3.49 - pretty good in comparison!

http://carpediemstore.com/mlistCategori ... egory=1896

I didn't check the price of the refills -but that would be a concern with these- how many options are there to get refills.

And ProMarkers have basically been in Europe but there are a couple of sites here starting to carry them. www.allthatscraps.com is one of those - they have started talking about them and they are on preorder now.... PRICE IS 2.48 - wow!! Wish I would have known that a long time ago!!

Ok - that's all the trivia I have to share!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CaseysAngel » July 22nd, 2011, 10:33 am

Okay I got a copics lesson yesterday from Z. She was in town this week and we were going to work with her cougar but she couldn't fit it in the car.LOL So she brought all her copics, and let me tell you the woman has a TON of them, and showed me a bit of how they work. They are definately neat and make beautiful images and things but I think I"ll stick with my water color pencils. Other than that my watercolors are cheaper and work pretty good for me. Maybe if they weren't so outrageous I'd try them but I just can't justify the price of them (sorry Z). She sold my 11 year old on them though as Abby feel in love with them. I told her when she's can pay for them herself she can have some.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby CaseysAngel » July 22nd, 2011, 10:35 am

opps I think I voted three times. I didn't think it was going through

Anyway I chose no and I don't really care (or want them or whatever that option was lmbo)
CaseysAngel

Postby kathybessey » July 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm

I think I need a lesson in watercolor pencils LOL
kathybessey

Postby kathybessey » July 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm

LOL but serious at the same time :)
kathybessey

Postby Angel135612 » July 22nd, 2011, 8:06 pm

I would love some online lessons in coloring ANYTHING. I am just not artistic when it comes to coloring, but I have fun doing it.
Angel135612

Postby kathybessey » July 22nd, 2011, 10:39 pm

Angel135612 wrote:I would love some online lessons in coloring ANYTHING. I am just not artistic when it comes to coloring, but I have fun doing it.

You and me both Diane!
kathybessey

Postby Suzan » July 22nd, 2011, 11:34 pm

That would be awesome, I used to shade and stuff when I tole painted but that has been tooooooo many years. Way before grey hair.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » July 23rd, 2011, 3:26 am

Hey, we can do water colour paints and watercolour pencils at the retreat. I've taught both a lot
Thyme

Next

Return to General