Cougar size choices

Cougar size choices

Postby otrbanks » July 20th, 2011, 11:34 am

I am going to be ordering my BC Cougar (Sherri and I decided I need the Cougar after chatting about my crafting) and after doing the math I can afford either the 13" or the 15" (maybe even the 18" if there is a huge advantage) What size should I get? I usually use 12x12 paper but Would LOVE to be able to cut larger stuff mainly for gift bags (where do you get larger sized card stock?) and I adore cutting vinyl so that is a biggie for me (I live in an area where the Wedding industry is huge and I can start doing Monograms for dance floors with a larger format cutter) I can't do the 24" for two reasons, price and size. Also, Mats, can you use a 12x12 mat in a larger format cutter (such as the 15"?) I have read that you can use your Crapcut mats on the Lynx and was wondering if that is also true with the larger format cutters. Thanks for all of the info and I can't wait to get my Cougar in the house!! Woo Hoo!!
Tammy
Tammy Jennings
http://tammyjennings.blogspot.com
18" Cougar "Kitty" is here!!!
otrbanks

Cutter: 24" SB & 18" BC

Re: Cougar size choices

Postby JeannetteC » July 20th, 2011, 11:39 am

I would go with the 15" (or larger) because of the vinyl. It often comes in 15" widths, so the smaller Cougar would limit you. You can use any size mat with the larger Cougars. The pinch wheels are adjustable so you position them according to where and what size your mat is.
Congratulations on ordering your new toy! You will love it!
JeannetteC

Postby luvthepaper » July 20th, 2011, 12:12 pm

I just got the 18". I think it was worth it to go a bit bigger. I haven't tried vinyl yet but I will and I am sure I will appreciate those few extra inches when I do. If you can swing it get the 15" or 18". I didn't go for the 24" for the same reasons.
Cutting with a new 18" Cougar and my old KNK Element
luvthepaper

Postby luvthepaper » July 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Also, I have been using Cricut mats in the 18" with no problems. I am too scared to ruin my Cougar mat while I learn about this new machine.

Good luck with your decision.
luvthepaper

Postby Angel135612 » July 20th, 2011, 12:29 pm

I would get the largest size you can afford. If you are going to be doing large designs, then you would need to do less "piecing" of the design to put it all together, and I think that would be a huge plus.

One of the great things about the Cougars, if you ever want to upgrade to a larger cutter, they will give you credit for the machine you have when you want to go larger. So if you go with the 15 and later decide you need the 18 or even the 24... you can trade it in.

I have the 24, and yes it does take up space, but I didn't want to be limited on the size I could cut, and I didn't want to have to trade it in later.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » July 20th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Go for the 18", its my favourite size.
Thyme

Postby luvthepaper » July 20th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Thyme wrote:Go for the 18", its my favourite size.

I wish I had that information when I was agonizing over which size to buy. I wouldn't have waffled so much and driven poor Sherri halfway to the sanitorium. Oh well. At least I ended up with the right size in the end.
luvthepaper

Postby MeFlick » July 20th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Welcome Tammy! If you can swing the price difference between the 18" and the 15" I would say go for it. As already pointed out, vinyl is often 15" wide unless cut down; if you want to do gift bags and such, you need to cut pretty big to put together even a decent but smaller sized bag; I decided on the 18" machine when I was looking - it wasn't a huge price jump at that time (not sure what they are now - I bought mine last Fall) between the 15 and 18" models and I knew I wanted to be able to cut true 12x12 or bigger. I have used my original cricut mats in my 18" machine. HTH
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Thyme » July 20th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Lol, I don't see why Sherri shouldn't be driven half way there, I was years ago!
Thyme

Postby CaseysAngel » July 20th, 2011, 4:50 pm

yea I"d say the 18 inch but that being said I have the 15 inch and it works great for me. I don't do a lot of vinyl though and what I do for hubby HE has to apply not me.LOL If you want to do vinyl I'd say at least the 15 inch because you can't get vinyl, that I know of , in 13 inch so it'd be easier.

And yes you can use Cricut mats in a larger cutter. I use them in my 15" but I have to say I MUCH prefer the cougar mats
CaseysAngel

Postby Tyler » July 20th, 2011, 5:15 pm

It totally depends on your needs. I have the 24 inch and love having all the extra room to fit things in between. That being said, there are times I wish I had the 13 inch as well because it is so portable. The lynx has the 12 inch, which is exactly what is needed for most hobbyists, but the 13 inch cougar has that extra inch which also allows for a little bit of give. Just remember, it is nice to have the play! :-)

If it were my choice and had unlimited cash, I would have a 24 inch built somehow into my countertop and then I would buy a 12 or 13 inch for Nicki to keep with her computer since her stuff is mainly a bit smaller.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby hwgang » July 20th, 2011, 6:25 pm

I am in your boat, too, and it took me a while to sort it out for myself. I think you need "to thine own self be true". Most of the time when investing in equipment I find that people know who they are. (I used to be a sewing machine dealer and helped people make this decision every day.)

Me? I tend to use every feature, eventually. I've never, ever said, "oh, I wish I'd bought less because I don't need these extras". I started with a Cricut and even after just a few months I'm wanting more. Much more. My creativity is only limited by the physical restraints of the machine. If you can make the new machine pay for itself (and then some) with wedding business, I would think that would ease your decision. In my case it's gaskets. It's not sexy, but.....

Good luck, regardless. I'm right behind you!
Lynne
Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
hwgang

Postby JeannetteC » July 20th, 2011, 6:37 pm

My initial reaction to my 24" is that it takes up a huge space, lol, and it does! BUT, because it is higher off the table, I can have papers and small stuff (glue, scissors,...) directly in front of it or behind it and it still cuts no problem. I also have a Gazelle and although the footprint is much smaller, I have to have at least the length of my mat of clear space on my table both in front and behind it. I'm assuming the heights of all the Cougars are the same, so table space may be an important factor in evaluating your space.
JeannetteC

Postby Phyllis » July 20th, 2011, 8:42 pm

I probably won't be much help but I have the 15" and it serves my purposes well. Good luck on your decision.
Phyllis

Postby otrbanks » July 21st, 2011, 7:38 am

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for shipping on the 18" Cougar (I am also getting the Gotta have it all set) to North Carolina 27954) I am trying to see if I can wiggle out the additional monies for the 18" LOL
Tammy Jennings
http://tammyjennings.blogspot.com
18" Cougar "Kitty" is here!!!
otrbanks

Cutter: 24" SB & 18" BC

Postby Thyme » July 21st, 2011, 8:13 am

You will need to contact Sherri for shipping prices
Thyme

Return to General