Foil Master

Re: Foil Master

Postby kim » July 15th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Well,, I guess I am going to have to add that to my order of foils...just have to decide what colors I want. Dawn, is there a possibility of getting a pearlescent and a black in the foil color line?
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Gigi » July 15th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Oh Kim - I am so glad you asked that question - after all I ordered I was afraid to even wish for another color let alone ask for it!! :hide:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kim » July 15th, 2011, 6:01 pm

I was looking at the foils on different sites...the foils are for screenprinting...and trying to get a look at colors and saw someone that had a metallic black and they had the pearlescent. Pearlescents are just one of my staple "colors" and the black just seems like it would be so sharp looking. Of course on my wish list is pink, mid blue, green, dark green...and so on and so on and so on....I can't make up my mind what colors I want!!! But I definately would want the black and pearl. So Dawn, yoo hoo...what are our chances?

And Christy, as soon as I can wake up fully, I guess I need to order that CD. I don't know what I was thinking...I've ordered from Dawn before and downloaded, but my brain was thinking "snail mail". Guess it was because I was up til 3 this morning waiting for DS to get home from the Harry Potter premier. Geez, I wish the theatres didn't do midnight premiers. Then we had to up early for a doctors appointment, and take my brother out for his birthday, and of course, while in town, hit Michaels and HL and the mall.

I was looking at my graphics last night trying to decide what would be good for the Foil Master and was a little disappointed that I didn't have anything already made that would be over the top great. So I will look forwared to this CD. Well, I'm going now to Thyme Graphics.
kim

Postby Gigi » July 15th, 2011, 6:26 pm

It's an awesome CD Kim - still going through it. I think you will LOVE it!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » July 15th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Woo Hoo!! Ordered. Geez was the internet SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW. I rebooted and it was still dragging. I am going to go put together my little cabinet I got for my craft room now and wait for my download. Thanks Christy!! I know that this is what I was wanting but now it is going to be even harder waiting on the gold and silver foil I ordered. That was the only two colors that I knew for sure that I was going to get. (I wish I could get them all).
kim

Postby pigtailpat » July 18th, 2011, 6:02 am

For those of you with the foilmaster - how does foiling on vellum work out? I am so bad..I am looking at this machine when I still haven't finished paying for the cougar......I can dream though............
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Thyme » July 18th, 2011, 7:00 am

If I ever get the chance of black or pearlescent foil I will grab them fast.

Foiling on vellum works great!
Thyme

Postby Elsa » July 18th, 2011, 8:33 am

Can you use any laser printer? Some of the photo transfer type paper requires that the laser only be black and white. They will not work with a printer that is capable of doing color even if you print black and white.
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby kim » July 18th, 2011, 8:40 am

Oh good point! I haven't thought about vellum yet...but that would be so cool. KarenP on the MTC forum was showing off some vinyl work that she did and they were gorgeous! But the files would look really great in foil.

http://blingology.blogspot.com/p/creati ... store.html Christmas site
http://blingology.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html regular site

Kim (another Kim :ROFLMBO: ) has taken stamps and converted them to cut files. She has the permission of the stamp company and for those that are interested, you can use these files on commercial items. But I think that they would be absolutely gorgeous in foil.

I got my download of the CD and am so excited with all the beautiful designs. I am really anxious to get my foil in. I can't wait to play around with it.
kim

Postby pigtailpat » July 18th, 2011, 9:18 am

Elsa - thanks so much for pointing that.

Dawn a question for you (WHEN you are feeling better...take your time...) does the BC foilmaster differentiate between color laser output (even when printed to black and white using the driver for that), and monochrome laser output? Luckily, I do have both, I have an HP color laser (the CPp2025) that has a driver for monochrome only setting, and then a true monochnrome laser printer - a canon MF4570dn. If the foilmaster needs a true monochrome laser printer, would the 4570 [canon] do the job?

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » July 18th, 2011, 9:25 am

Elsa wrote:Can you use any laser printer? Some of the photo transfer type paper requires that the laser only be black and white. They will not work with a printer that is capable of doing color even if you print black and white.

Elsa -

I have an HP color printer and set it to black when doing foil and it works perfectly. I just have to be sure to change the setting or the foil doesn't adhere as well. It's the HP laserjet CM1415fnw - it was recommended by Penny and was on the "approved" list. I would assume your 2025 would be fine.... I think that is what Christy is using.....

Hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » July 18th, 2011, 9:37 am

Gigi, that is the exact same printer that I have!!!!

I have been seriously considering getting the foil master and every color of foil that Dawn carries, with some money I will be getting from my Mother.... (need to discuss it with BF yet) but I think that will be my Mothers going away present to me. Even if the laminator we have would work, I think the Foil Master will be easier to use and set up when I need to use it.

It's good to know that there is a setting on the printer that works (will have to go find it). When the question was asked about black and white or color, I know that for printing graphics if you want a rich black, you add some of each color to your black to get a deeper black. So I was wondering if doing that would help, or if it is something in the colors toner that makes the foil not want to stick. So not how black something is, but just some ingredient in the toner.

Gigi, have you received the foil from Dawn yet?? Or are you still playing with the foil that came with the machine?
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Elsa » July 18th, 2011, 10:29 am

Thanks, everyone. I have an HP1312nfi laser printer. It has a black and white setting. It is the iron oxide in the toner that makes the photo transfer paper work. I don't know if it is the same for the Foil Master.
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby Gigi » July 18th, 2011, 10:56 am

Diane -

I am so thrilled that out of the agony you have gone through the past few weeks that you are going to do something nice for you. You won't regret it.

No I have not received the foil yet but it is on its way (and I did what you are thinking of - gulp!!) I also bought the CD on Dawn's site that Kim was talking about - OMG is all I can say about that!! I am hoarding the little pieces I received!! I will be unstoppable once the rolls arrive!! (but will need more hours in the day!)

When you go to print, click on properties (I think) and it defaults to color printing, which will of course give you black, but not the "right" black. There is an option there for black and white so I choose that and it's then good to go.

I am amazed at how fast the FoilMaster heats up too - and it grabs the paper really fast - learned that the hard way (don't ask!!)

I am excited for anyone considering this awesome machine!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » July 18th, 2011, 12:11 pm

So Gigi, you got all the colors of foil as well??? LOL :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: They are all so pretty, and you never know when you may need a certain color, and can't wait for it to swim across the pond to get here.

I was also wondering, if any one has tried, or if it is possible to print something, foil it, print something else, and foil in a different color (for multiple foil colors) on the same page. Would the foil stick to foil already on the page? Would the foil hurt the printer going through again?? Or if you would need to print once, and cover in different colors of foil and run it through all at the same time. I'm sure that the ease or difficulty of that would depend on the design and the placement of colors... but I would think multicolored foil projects would look totally awesome.

Also, if you have foil left from one design, can you use that on other projects? I know with the foil used with glue, you can just keep sticking that down on the glue until it is all used up and until all the glue is covered. So I'm assuming that can be done with the Foil Master as well. If foil doesn't stick to the design the first time, can it be run through again, or do you need to start with a fresh print??

I just keep thinking of all the possibilities available... and would love to be playing with them right now.
Angel135612

Postby Gigi » July 18th, 2011, 12:23 pm

No comment!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

That is on my list - to do multiple colors. I would assume you would do all of the printing and then just place the different colors where you want them. Will try some later with the scraps I have.......

And yes - you can use the pieces over in the areas that have not been "pulled" - have done that several times.

I am SO loving that - now if I could just draw I could do even more amazing things - but there are great images online too.

I have some gallery glass on acetate ideas and foiling ideas _hmm - wonder if you can foil on acetate - am thinking yes just can't remember if I have seen it or not!! Yikes - another idea! I agree Diana - the possibilities are endless!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » July 18th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Does anyone know about how long it takes for the orders to come from across the pond? I went ahead and ordered the gold, silver and a blue when I ordered my Foil Master since I knew that no matter what, I would want those colors. Of course, once I figure out what I can do on the other colors, I will want some more. But I have to keep in mind that I want to save some $$$ for when the mats come in. :ROFLMBO: My bank account is starting to groan with what all I have gotten this month. DH might make me take another job.
kim

Postby Thyme » July 18th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Hi all of you.
Some lasers work when they are colour and some don't - so best to ask someone who has a Foil Master to test for you.
Yes you can use up bits.
yes you can put through a second time - you do sometimes loose the high gloss when you do this though.
Time for stuff to get to the US from the UK, anything from 3 days to 2 weeks is normal
Thyme

Postby kim » July 18th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Great! I think I can wait that long, especially since I will be gone and won't get to play anyway. Geez, you would think I would know some of this stuff.....way back when, I used to do the paperwork side of importing.
kim

Postby Angel135612 » July 19th, 2011, 8:57 am

I just ordered the Foil Master , almost every color of foil that Dawn carries, and the CD of images. This is my Mothers going away gift to me. I'm hoping that with the great service that Sherri has, she will be able to get it in the mail (I heard she was out of town, so maybe it won't be today) and I can have my machine before the end of the week. I can't wait to play with it.
Angel135612

PreviousNext

Return to General