Box construction with hinges/catches/latches

Box construction with hinges/catches/latches

Postby pigtailpat » July 13th, 2011, 7:31 am

I have a question generally about box construction with decorative hardware such as hinges, catches or latches.

If any of you (and I mean you too Penny) have used such hardware with paper/chipboard box projects, do you use the accompanying pins/screws to affix the hardware to the project, or, have you used eyelets or brads instead for it? Do you insert an inner layer of paper to cover the inside to cover the protruding inside part of the hardware or leave it alone?

Thanks in advance for answers to these questions..............

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Box construction with hinges/catches/latches

Postby Retta » July 13th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Yes yes yes - it depends - but chipboard on the inside may add stability. Brads, glue dots and more, eyelets, screws if wood backing - Love using this stuff.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby CaseysAngel » July 14th, 2011, 5:33 am

Pat, I don't use that stuff often but I'd check out the Tim Holtz Stuff. He has all kinds of stuff like that.
CaseysAngel

Postby PennyDuncan » July 18th, 2011, 6:32 pm

pigtailpat wrote:I have a question generally about box construction with decorative hardware such as hinges, catches or latches.

If any of you (and I mean you too Penny) have used such hardware with paper/chipboard box projects, do you use the accompanying pins/screws to affix the hardware to the project, or, have you used eyelets or brads instead for it? Do you insert an inner layer of paper to cover the inside to cover the protruding inside part of the hardware or leave it alone?

Thanks in advance for answers to these questions..............

Pat

Hey Pat....if it's a card or something that isn't solid all the way through I will use a brad and then cover with cardstock...Like for my cards I make..most of the time I'll make my card base and set it aside...then take another piece cut the same size as the front piece and decorate that piece...then once I have it completed I'll use my ATG and attach the decorative piece to the card base that way I have smooth inside of the card...does that make sense???
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Return to General