Organization Programs for Files

Re: Organization Programs for Files

Postby Elsa » May 19th, 2011, 10:50 pm

meme wrote:Okay, I have a folder I made called Cutter Files already. I have two questions. Do you put them in your document or picture library? Also, could you burn them to a disc and just put your disc in when you want to use them; so you would use up so much space on computer? I am computer stupid. I can learn software and all that stuff but the computer part is what I don't get. I really don't make cards but want to some day; so I want the files for future use and maybe here and there. I mainly want to make own designs or get designs I can use for commercial use too. Most of what I have downloaded or only for personal at this point; only have a few for commercial use. I do not have a business as of yet but would like to. So I am asking what is best way for questions above. I have mine in documents right now but someone told me I should have them in picture library instead of document library. I really respect your opinions as you have all been doing this a long time. I haven't; it is all new to me. Thanks for any info.

I think where you store them on your computer is what is the easiest for you. It doesn't really matter. I have a file under my documents folder with many subfolders listed under that. Cut files, SVG files, Tutorials, Videos etc. Everything I need is under the one main file. You could just as easily do this in your Picture folder.

You can also burn them to a disc and insert the disk when you need to use the file. But, you will need a good way to keep track of what is on each disk or you will get lost fast. I can think of few things less fun than looking for an image by inserting CDs or DVDs one by one searching for what you are looking for. Ask me how I know. :D

Another thing you could do is get an external USB harddrive to store them on. They are fairly reasonable these days.

You can also put them on flash or thumb drives although they are not as stable. I just had one go out on me.

And, of course, back them up no matter how you organize them.
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby CaseysAngel » May 20th, 2011, 7:44 am

You can do that Curly girl (hey I remembered who you were lol). You could also just stick them on a jump drive which would probably be easier. You can get a jump drive for like $10.00 at walmart if you don't already have one. I think that's what I paid for my 4 GB one.

I back mine up on my external harddrive but I can't keep up with it because I have to keep unplugging it because i don't have enough USB ports. I REALLY need to take my computer over to Best Buy and have them tell me what kind I need. I have nine now and I need about four more!!!!
CaseysAngel

Postby Thyme » May 20th, 2011, 8:03 am

9 usb ports?
I have 27 and still have to unplug stuff!
Thyme

Postby sherri » May 20th, 2011, 8:49 am

OMG! NONE and then TWENTY SEVEN??? Ru kidding me? What do you guys have plugged in? I did not even think you could run that many thru the system..LOL
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Dana » May 20th, 2011, 8:53 am

I'm glad you said it Sherri! I was beginning to wonder if I was a bit.... under-technolized! LOL
Dana

Cutter: Lynx "Nikita"

Postby Thyme » May 20th, 2011, 11:33 am

Lol, I have a lot of gadgets!
Thyme

Postby CaseysAngel » May 20th, 2011, 11:49 am

I need at least 4 more. Rach tried to send me some she had but I couldn't get them in this computer. They worked in my other one though>LOL

I can't figure out what kind this one has though to know what to buy.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby Thyme » May 20th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Why not just go for some external hubs?
Thyme

Postby karenl3912 » May 20th, 2011, 12:40 pm

I have 2 powered USB hubs so I can have an extra 18 to go with what my computer has. I totally understand Dawn.I need to plug in my cup warmer and my lava lamp and if it is Christmas my USB Christmas tree. Are there more important things? I don't think so!
OK, confession time, I half organise my files. I made all of the folders I needed and they are on my desktop. Once a week I sort all downloaded files into their file folders like, MTC. svg. fonts, mixed files, jpeg. etc. Then I download it all onto my portable hard drive and wipe them from my computer. I just have to rename the folders each week like font is now up to fonts 12. After that I can mostly find what I want in the portable drive still in the folders. It is about a 75 gbs portable drive and I have had it forever. I will never even half fill this thing or even a quarter and my husband bought me a 2 terabyte one, I know not why.
What I have learned after the slow death of several computer is to keep mine clean. So everything possible is removed once a week. If I ever put that portable drive in one of those safe place I have had it.
Karen.
karenl3912

Postby CaseysAngel » May 21st, 2011, 8:01 pm

Thyme wrote:Why not just go for some external hubs?

I have one that is a 4 port. I didn't think you were suppose to run more than one on a computer though. is that not right?
CaseysAngel

Postby veronika44 » May 21st, 2011, 11:09 pm

I just bought a Belkin that has 6 ports for my laptop.
veronika44

Postby Suzan » May 21st, 2011, 11:42 pm

CaseysAngel wrote:You can do that Curly girl (hey I remembered who you were lol). You could also just stick them on a jump drive which would probably be easier. You can get a jump drive for like $10.00 at walmart if you don't already have one. I think that's what I paid for my 4 GB one.

I back mine up on my external harddrive but I can't keep up with it because I have to keep unplugging it because i don't have enough USB ports. I REALLY need to take my computer over to Best Buy and have them tell me what kind I need. I have nine now and I need about four more!!!!

My husband would cringe, he can't stand the Geek Squad. A good powered one should do the trick.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » May 22nd, 2011, 1:18 am

CaseysAngel wrote:

I have one that is a 4 port. I didn't think you were suppose to run more than one on a computer though. is that not right?

Its fine to run more than one. I have mine daisychained, that is the second hub plugs into the first, and the third into the second and so on. The only thing you need to do is make sure that you get ones with external power supplies
Thyme

Postby scrappy62 » May 25th, 2011, 8:45 am

OK, I just need to add my 2 cents worth. It would be so easy to just put a copy of all zip files in like a "to do" folder then unzip all and move the ones you want to it's designated folder, like "animals", Christmas'...BUT alot of the zip files are named one thing then you open them up and all the other ext files have a different name...drives me crazy. You have to do one zip file at a time to get it straight and keep the ones that go together so you have your different pieces in one folder.
scrappy62

Cutter: 13" Silver Bullet

Postby LisaH » May 25th, 2011, 8:51 am

I try to look at sorting my files like doing laundry. My Mom always told me, when the clothes come out of the dryer or off the line, if you go ahead and put them away, you're through, but if you just pile them somewhere they become a mound of unfinished work that just continues to grow! (now ask me how I learned this the hard way!! LOL)
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Trisha » June 13th, 2011, 5:15 pm

I have a "Temp Storage" folder on my desktop, and "Crafting Folder" with sub-folders in it for svg, mtc, and gsd cutting files, digi stamps and images, tutorials, project ideas, etc. There are subfolders in each of the cutting files folders for organizing into categories. I use an organization system sent to me years ago named "Organized Wishblade Files." I use the same folder names in all the cutting file extensions so I can get to things quickly whatever program I happen to be using. I usually unzip, take out what I want, and delete the zipped file.
I have customized this organizer to suit my needs, of course, adding or deleting categories, or changing some names of categories. For example, I deleted the folder called "FREEBIES," and organized freebies into the categories rather than just lumping things together in such a broad category. I added a folder I call "Angels and Wings" just because I tend to collect them every time I see them...I know you can relate. I moved "DOGS" to the "Animals" folder rather than on its own, and did the same for "Celebrations," moving it to "Special Occasions."
You can do whatever you want to make it work better for you, but it is a great starting point. I obtained it when I first started with my old blue Craft Robo. This system works very well for me. I usually transfer things from the temp folder once a week so I don't get too bogged down. I'm sorry, I don't at all remember where I got this. Whoever originally created it made some spelling errors, which I corrected in my folders, but I left the original copy as is.

I don't seem to be able to upload an attachment. If someone would like this organizational tool, I will gladly email it to you if you just pm me with your addy. It may be a little while, but I will send it. :) Or, someone can school me on how to get an attachment to upload. :)

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby CaseysAngel » June 14th, 2011, 6:13 am

Trisha wrote:I don't seem to be able to upload an attachment. If someone would like this organizational tool, I will gladly email it to you if you just pm me with your addy. It may be a little while, but I will send it. :) Or, someone can school me on how to get an attachment to upload. :)

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust

Your wish is my command viewtopic.php?f=35&t=159 . I did video's on how to use the forum and that is a link to uploading an image but you upload files the exact same way.

My momma always said feed a man a fish you feed him for a day but teach a man to fish and you feed him for life. I know you know where that came from. :D
CaseysAngel

Postby CaseysAngel » June 14th, 2011, 6:20 am

Thyme wrote:
CaseysAngel wrote:

Its fine to run more than one. I have mine daisychained, that is the second hub plugs into the first, and the third into the second and so on. The only thing you need to do is make sure that you get ones with external power supplies

Thank you!!!!!!!! I think I'm going to have to do this!!
CaseysAngel

Postby Suzan » June 14th, 2011, 9:05 am

I wouldn't worry about how many hubs, ask Dawn how many she has. You will be amazed.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby CaseysAngel » June 14th, 2011, 9:30 am

Suzan wrote:I wouldn't worry about how many hubs, ask Dawn how many she has. You will be amazed.

LOL I trust her. I just found this one on ebay http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FFZGCU so I grabbed it. It was only like $5.20 shipipng and all on some sale so hopefully it'll work.

I'm gonna leave the cougar hooked in directly but I need something to hook up my external, my webcam , and my camera's. I'm constantly disconnecting stuff to hook something else up . It's annoying.LOL
CaseysAngel

PreviousNext

Return to General