Organization Programs for Files

Organization Programs for Files

Postby sherri » May 17th, 2011, 1:07 pm

There are a number of programs out there that allow you to organize your files. A request has been made to share those programs...so anyone willing to share please do so. I know how many different programs there are and they do not all work for all people so step up if you have one you like and even if it seems similar to another please post it anyway. There may be something about yours that works better for some people. :-) Thank you all in advance!
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Re: Organization Programs for Files

Postby Tyler » May 17th, 2011, 9:28 pm

This isn't a file organization program exactly, but I like AMP Font Viewer that allows you to see all your fonts without having them installed. It also lets you temporarily install a font on your system. You can even type in your word and set your sizing to see how the final out put looks with thousands of fonts. Very easy to use and works like a charm whenever you are looking for a sweet font! Download here
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby CaseysAngel » May 17th, 2011, 10:18 pm

I have my own system.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby kathybessey » May 17th, 2011, 10:25 pm

CaseysAngel wrote:I have my own system.LOL
LOL Same here Christy! Although there are getting to be so many file folders that maybe I need to redo my system...or look at some of these that others may post about! Thanks for this thread Sherri
kathybessey

Postby kathybessey » May 17th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Tyler wrote:This isn't a file organization program exactly, but I like AMP Font Viewer that allows you to see all your fonts without having them installed. It also lets you temporarily install a font on your system. You can even type in your word and set your sizing to see how the final out put looks with thousands of fonts. Very easy to use and works like a charm whenever you are looking for a sweet font! Download here

Thanks Tyler, I need to check this out on the weekend.
kathybessey

Postby Dana » May 18th, 2011, 8:48 am

Hi Tyler! That is a great program. I did a live tutorial on this program a couple of months ago on another forum. I have the PDF tutorial for it if anyone is interested in it.

You can download it here: http://www.svgandmtcfiles.com/tutorials.php
Dana

Cutter: Lynx "Nikita"

Postby LJ Scrapper » May 18th, 2011, 11:08 am

Thanks Dana
Lynda

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn - Benjamin Franklin
LJ Scrapper

Postby karenl3912 » May 18th, 2011, 11:14 am

People have organised files?
I just checked the link. Does anything work for a Mac?
Karen.
karenl3912

Postby meme » May 18th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Do you put your downloaded designs that you get from people in your document files or picture files in your library?
meme

Postby Rosemarie » May 18th, 2011, 3:00 pm

I have a file on my desktop i have named downloaded zips only. i download and then use the unzip program to archive to each its own folder in the downloaded zips file. Then i have a folder called cutter files. i open each archived file and figure out if the files have extensions i don;t keep like .eps and .ai and get rid of those and then take the file with what i want to keep and move it to the cutter files folder (if there is a jpg file or pdf left in this folder then a picture is shown on the folder). All the zip files then get put into a folder named done. if i download straight svg's and mtc files i just download those straight into cutter files. I haven't started to sort these out yet. I haven't figured out how i want to sort yet, by categories or people or site. Any fonts that i download get unzipped the same way but i have a file just called my fonts that i put those into.
Rosemarie

Postby granlin » May 18th, 2011, 4:00 pm

I do not understand zip files. I am using a evalualtion of Winzip but what do I do with it after it is unzipped. Now I have the file unzipped and the file with the zip icon. Do I delete the icon one? How do I use another type if zip program? Inquiring minds want to know. TIA
granlin

Cutter: BlackCat 13" Cougar

Postby Texas Sheri » May 18th, 2011, 6:01 pm

I'm watching this thread closely. I've got my own system of folders and organization but it's beginning to get a bit out of hand. I'm wondering what fantastic tool someone will come up with for us to help keep us clutterbugs organized.
===================
{pretend this is a cool animated .gif}

Sheri in Texas (as opposed to the ORIGINAL Sherri at That's Scrap]
The Grapevine Scrapper
Texas Sheri

Postby Tyler » May 18th, 2011, 7:36 pm

I have a folder called desktop with a search bar at the bottom. That is where I keep everything :-) Works great!
Tyler

Postby Tyler » May 18th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Yes...that last post was a lie...it is a mess...!
Tyler

Postby Dana » May 18th, 2011, 8:28 pm

I have a list of folders that are organized and categorized. It is a good start for a beginner collector but might not be enough for the advanced collector! Feel free to download it!

download it here: http://www.box.net/shared/vzl6acgvig
Dana

Cutter: Lynx "Nikita"

Postby Elizabeth » May 18th, 2011, 8:30 pm

LOL, Tyler! I was starting to hate on you for a minute! :lol: :lol:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Texas Sheri » May 18th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Gee. Thanks Tyler. You're just SO helpful. :roll: :lol:

thank you Dana. I downloaded yours and I'll give it a look tomorrow.
===================
{pretend this is a cool animated .gif}

Sheri in Texas (as opposed to the ORIGINAL Sherri at That's Scrap]
The Grapevine Scrapper
Texas Sheri

Postby LisaH » May 19th, 2011, 7:00 am

I use Dana's folders and just add to them as necessary. They work great for me! Thanks again Dana!!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby sherri » May 19th, 2011, 9:31 am

Thank you Dana for providing this. I have something very similar so I don't wan to duplicate. If anyone see anything different let us know.

GRAN....once you unzip them they will be in different file formats. I move the ones that I will use into the filing system via folders and keep the rest all in one folder called "zipped files' it is often that someone may need one in a different file format. I am organizational freak and this is one thing I cannot stay on top of....LOL It could have something to do with the fact I stared out with GSD files. went to KNK files then WPC files and now SVG....I never used to save all of the files so I either had to lose them for convert. I ONLY convert as needed. Some day someone is going to bring out a program that will recognize whatever file you want and that is going to be something! Hmmmmm we are creating new software...I will have to put in a plug for it.....I would do you a video to show you how to do this but I do not have the ability to make a video tutorial of it...even tho" I know how many people could use it.
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby meme » May 19th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Okay, I have a folder I made called Cutter Files already. I have two questions. Do you put them in your document or picture library? Also, could you burn them to a disc and just put your disc in when you want to use them; so you would use up so much space on computer? I am computer stupid. I can learn software and all that stuff but the computer part is what I don't get. I really don't make cards but want to some day; so I want the files for future use and maybe here and there. I mainly want to make own designs or get designs I can use for commercial use too. Most of what I have downloaded or only for personal at this point; only have a few for commercial use. I do not have a business as of yet but would like to. So I am asking what is best way for questions above. I have mine in documents right now but someone told me I should have them in picture library instead of document library. I really respect your opinions as you have all been doing this a long time. I haven't; it is all new to me. Thanks for any info.
meme

Next

Return to General