Update on stained glass image........

Update on stained glass image........

Postby pigtailpat » July 4th, 2011, 3:28 pm

If nothing else, I'm a stubbon pig. I'm going to die trying to get a faux stained glass effect.

So, since I did a big cooking job yesterday, today was going to be light. I did go and get the gallery glass paint. I made a half-hearted stab with the liquid leading - uh no - - too hard.

I thus re-cut the image from contact paper. In hindsight, I definitely should have used the good black vinyl, but since I had absolutely no idea of what I am doing, I used the contact paper. The contact paper cut smoothly, but weeding the image - that alone was a challenge that took me the better part of an hour to get done.

Then got the image (background oval) on the acetate - BTW the acetate cut like butter on the cougar - really smooth!

Applied the contact paper to the acetate and then began the process of painting. That took a couple of hours and it is drying. There was a tiny little bit of seepage to the other side and if the good black vinyl had been on, probably would not have been noticeable. In addition, I would have put less paint on, now that I understand about the seepage issues. The contact paper probably was not on flat enough which did not help.

Either I will recut another piece of black vinyl to put on top of the image to the other side (and I will have to mirror my image before cutting), or, airbrush the cardstock piece black to put on top (since it is already cut). I am leaning towards the already cut cardstock, because I am not really looking forward to weeding another vinyl piece of this image. In addition, if I put repositionable glue on the card stock, I think it would be easier to adhere and position over the vinyl.

I made one coloring mistake, but ah for a first effort I think this is cool beans. The gallery glass is definitely the way to go if anyone else is interested in a faux stained glass. I am going to see if I can find black contact paper anywhere, because I definitely want to do more of this, but with less complex images.

As soon as the paint dries, which I think won't be any earlier than tomorrow, I will post. It is taking it's own sweet time...

Pat

Edit: In second hindsight, I should have used transfer paper to get the finished piece over to the acetate (after weeding all the inner cuts) for a smoother placement to avoid seepage, and I have loads of the it here. Why I don't think of these things when I do them I haven't the foggiest.........
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Update on stained glass image........

Postby Angel135612 » July 4th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Sounds like it is going to look spectacular when you have it all done.

When ever I'm trying something new, I always have to make it at least twice... once to figure out what I'm doing, and the second time to use all those "I should have done it this way" moments.
In my old age, I finally have decided that it is okay to use supplies to do LOTS of testing so I will know what my results will be BEFORE I try to work on a project that I NEED to have done.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » July 4th, 2011, 5:56 pm

another possibility, is if I am very lucky, and if I can get the contact paper off the piece after all the paint dries without disturbing the paint, is I can go over the empty space with a black marker and simulate the leading lines that way - so that everything appears on one level if I can with nothing on top, I will try to see if I can manage that...
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » July 5th, 2011, 12:05 am

Wow - you sure went through a lot but you also learned a lot - and passed it all onto us - thank you!!

I am so glad the Gallery Glass worked - I hoped it would. That was my favorite product for many many years. I made some really intricate "faux stained glass" designs on many of the windows and people thought they were real stained glass. It was such fun.

The leading is tricky and there is a learning curve to it - sounds like you have it all figured out. I can hardly wait to see it - it is going to be exquisite!

Your mom will be so thrilled.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » July 5th, 2011, 5:43 am

Another update, it is dry, but I cannot get the white contact paper removed, because gallery glass is designed so that you can lift off the painted design with the leading to make like a window cling. Removing the contact paper lines will have the same effect, the paint will be disturbed. So this is a good tip to every one if you use contact paper with gallery glass, you have to make sure of your colors first and get it down on the acetate really flat (via transfer tape). I have decided to airbursh the cardstock black, which I will do sometime today after "day" chores for husband.

Gigi - my Michaels no longer sells gallery glass - I went to AC Moore, and they didn't even have the plaid leading - the only kind was the deco art in stock. Plaid makes these micro tips which will fit on their leading bottles, which I could not try since my store was out of stock of the right kind of leading bottle (I bought the tips anyway). I do plan to try again with leading with a less complex image, and the right product and see if those micro tips work. My first experiment was with the deco art leading, and while it should be good for a simple image, this complex image was too much for me to attempt as a total newbie. I want to learn more about leading, because I think for cards, this could be really gorgeous. I would not "do" windows, I am not that ambitious. Another possibility is photo frames.

I learned so much valuable stuff from this little project, and I will bet that this can transfer over to such things like christmas ornaments. The 2 oz. gallery glass paint bottles are cheap, they are like $2.89 each and they are a good way to experiment with colors before committing and buying the more expensive larger bottles. I promise to post tonight after airbrushing and applying the cardstock to the acetate. I did so many errors on this piece, but I think overall, for a first effort, it came out pretty well. And my mother will not know the difference. I want to get this card in the mail to her by tomorrow.

Pat
pigtailpat

Return to General