Some questions about the Foil Master and foil

Some questions about the Foil Master and foil

Postby Angel135612 » July 4th, 2011, 9:46 am

Okay, I was chatting with my BF and telling him about all the discussion on the Foil Master, just trying to feel him out about what he would think about getting one... and of course, I got the reaction I thought I would. His first question was, Would I really use it, or would it just sit there after the newness wore off??

So I was trying to think if there was something I already had, that I could use to play with the foil to see if I really would use it a lot, and then convince him that the Foil Master would make things a lot easier.

I already have a laser printer, so I'm good there. BF has a laminater, not the kind that pulls the paper through but like a large press. (And if it would work, I could foil large pieces, at least as large as I can get through my large laser printer). So one of my questions is, what temperature does it have to get to, in order for the foil to stick to the paper? I also have a craft iron with out holes, that gets extremely hot, and wonder if that is something that would work for smaller items (instead of setting up the laminator and waiting for that to heat up).

I know that Dawn has the best foil, but are there others that would be easier to get here in the states, to play with that would work the same way? I think most of the foil I have, needs to have glue... so I'm not sure they would work with the laser print and heat transfer. Is there a difference (other than the quality of the foil)? I would hate to buy Dawns foil only to find out that what I would be using won't work. If the foil I have would work, at least I could start to experiment with things I already have to see what I can come up with.

I think if I can get some foil and play around using the heat tools I have right now, and start finding more and more projects that I want to put foil on, and then show BF that all the steps I have to go through to use it, compared to what I would have to do with the Foil Master, I would be able to convince him that I need a Foil Master... LOL
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Some questions about the Foil Master and foil

Postby Suzan » July 4th, 2011, 10:08 am

Wow those are awesome questions. I want answers also. Thanks Angel
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » July 4th, 2011, 11:03 am

Angel135612 wrote:Okay, I was chatting with my BF and telling him about all the discussion on the Foil Master, just trying to feel him out about what he would think about getting one... and of course, I got the reaction I thought I would. His first question was, Would I really use it, or would it just sit there after the newness wore off??

So I was trying to think if there was something I already had, that I could use to play with the foil to see if I really would use it a lot, and then convince him that the Foil Master would make things a lot easier.

I already have a laser printer, so I'm good there. BF has a laminater, not the kind that pulls the paper through but like a large press. (And if it would work, I could foil large pieces, at least as large as I can get through my large laser printer). So one of my questions is, what temperature does it have to get to, in order for the foil to stick to the paper? I also have a craft iron with out holes, that gets extremely hot, and wonder if that is something that would work for smaller items (instead of setting up the laminator and waiting for that to heat up).
It might do, the minimum temp you would need is 160 degrees C, it may go as high as 199 depending on the combination of your card and the print toner

I know that Dawn has the best foil, but are there others that would be easier to get here in the states, to play with that would work the same way? I think most of the foil I have, needs to have glue... so I'm not sure they would work with the laser print and heat transfer. Is there a difference (other than the quality of the foil)? I would hate to buy Dawns foil only to find out that what I would be using won't work. If the foil I have would work, at least I could start to experiment with things I already have to see what I can come up with.
The trouble is that foil that is sold for the same purpose varies enormously, I went through 4 suppliers till i found a good one

I think if I can get some foil and play around using the heat tools I have right now, and start finding more and more projects that I want to put foil on, and then show BF that all the steps I have to go through to use it, compared to what I would have to do with the Foil Master, I would be able to convince him that I need a Foil Master... LOL
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » July 4th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Thanks Dawn... I know the laminator will get even hotter than the 160 or 199... so that should work. (I think it has a control on it to adjust the temp, but I don't use it, so will have to find out about that).

Is the foil that is used for the Foil Master completely different than foils that are used with glue? I knew you had worked to get the best foil for this application, and if I ever do buy a Foil Master, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the foil you offer. I know if I use a "lesser" foil that the results wouldn't be the same, but to just do some testing to see if it is even something I would want to do a lot of, if I could use some of the foils I have, just to play around with... then I can see what is possible, and decide if I just HAVE to have a Foil Master.
Angel135612

Postby Thyme » July 4th, 2011, 2:59 pm

The foil I have that has been sold for use with a glue pen doesn't work, but the Foil Master foil will work with glue pens according to some of our customers.
We tend to find one of two things can go wrong with other foil.
1. It doesn't foil
2. It foils but leaves specks all over the card and not just where it is supposed to
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » July 4th, 2011, 4:08 pm

That is good to know Dawn.... I just may have to break down and buy some of your foil, and if I can't get it to work with another heat application and laser print, I can still use it with glue pens.

I do think that using the Foil Master to create foil would be a lot easier than some of the ways I was trying to figure out using a glue pen in the pen tool... and probably cheaper in the long run, as I wouldn't have to keep buying glue pens when they run out.. just the foil when I use it up... LOL

I tend to buy things because they look like fun, but when I get them home, none of the projects I start to work on are "good enough" to use those fun supplies.. so they sit there unused... I really need to get over that... since I can always buy more supplies because I have used them up... and I won't feel like I wasted my money by buying something that was "too good" to use on my measly projects.

ETA: I just looked at the foil on your site Dawn, and it looks beautiful. I wonder if it would be possible for Tyler to carry this same foil on his site (Or Sheri on hers)... so those of us in the US could get it with out having to wait for packages from across the pond. Also, do you sell it in anything less than a roll, so if we wanted smaller amounts of more colors we could get it? Thanks
Angel135612

Postby Thyme » July 4th, 2011, 4:31 pm

oh definitely use those supplies! Otherwise one day you may find your tastes hsave changed a little and you no longer like them as much
Thyme

Postby Mary Kobe » July 4th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Angel135612 said:
I tend to buy things because they look like fun, but when I get them home, none of the projects I start to work on are "good enough" to use those fun supplies.. so they sit there unused... I really need to get over that... since I can always buy more supplies because I have used them up... and I won't feel like I wasted my money by buying something that was "too good" to use on my measly projects.

reminds me of this quote I have read many times. And I still do not heed to the message! I have things that are "saved" for a special occasion! In life, every day should be a special occasion...just knowing that we are able to get out of bed, whether it be the "right" side or not!

Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy clothes. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
Mary Kobe

Postby Angel135612 » July 4th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Mary, you are so right.. and I really do need to just play with all my fun supplies that I keep buying... I won't get good at making things and using them unless I start playing with them and using them... LOL I keep telling myself that if it doesn't turn out the way I envision it, I can always make it again... and again... and again, until I get it right, or until I decide that it doesn't have to be perfect and it is okay however it turns out.
Angel135612

Postby Gigi » July 5th, 2011, 12:01 am

You are all so right - I will save things too and that is silly - no time like the present.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PennyDuncan » July 5th, 2011, 6:47 am

I totally agree with that.....I often finding myself saving something and it is freeing to just play with it!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » July 5th, 2011, 8:12 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one that buys something then wants to hoard it... LOL But Penny, you are right, yesterday when I was finally using all the foils and such that I have been accumulating over the years.. it was so much fun to see what effects I would get with different things. And now that I am starting to use them, I won't feel so guilty when I go buy more fun things to play with.
Angel135612

Postby Gigi » July 5th, 2011, 4:29 pm

So very true, Diane. And you got me playing with things I hadn't used in a while too - so thank you for that!! I am going to try to keep going in that direction and use more of what has been sitting waiting for who knows what for me to use it!!

I am also trying to look at things differently and see that I can do with them that is out of the norm. I doubt you will see pictures of any of those projects!! LOL

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » July 5th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Gigi, even if they aren't "good enough to share" you should still share what you are doing.... it may give others ideas on something to try. I think that is my biggest problem, I'm not sure how to use some of this stuff any more, since I have had it for so long... LOL And just hearing about what someone else is trying to do... gives me ideas for something that may come up in the future... like Pats project for making it look like stained glass.. I never would have thought twice about the paint she bought... but now... that may be something else to play around with... (like I need MORE things to play with) LOL
Angel135612

Postby Gigi » July 5th, 2011, 11:47 pm

Good point, Diane. Ok - as soon as I get back to creating, I will share - regardless!! (it will be a good chuckle if nothing else!)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » July 8th, 2011, 8:32 am

I am forever saving things for something "special"! Imagine what I was going through when my niece comes over and starts using all of my "special" stuff. I didn't say anything. I did recover some of the large pieces of remnants that she trashed. But, geez, the girl has a radar on her.....she went for all of my stuff that I was saving. That will teach me to either use it myself or someone else will.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Gigi » July 8th, 2011, 8:47 am

OMG Kim - I would have been cringing big time!! My granddaughter has that kind of radar. She comes and runs for the most expensive cardstock (and it's not like it's sitting on top!!) It's silly - but then I remind myself that it's only "stuff" and have fun watching her. I am really trying to either USE the saved stuff or give it to someone who WILL use it - I mean if it has been here for over a year and I have not used it, how special can it be??!!?? :o :ROFLMBO:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Retta » July 8th, 2011, 8:50 am

They are smart girls. They know what paper is prettier than the other!!! Don't we all.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby LisaH » July 8th, 2011, 9:21 am

Yeah, my hubby tells me I have Lotus taste on a doodlebug budget!!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » July 8th, 2011, 9:58 am

LOL - so true Retta!!

Funny Lisa!! I think we may all be that way!! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Next

Return to General