Cutting to Cougar with SCAL 3? Anyone done yet?

Cutting to Cougar with SCAL 3? Anyone done yet?

Postby MeFlick » May 17th, 2011, 9:26 am

Just a quick question - has anyone tried to actually cut to your Cougar using the new SCAL 3 release that says supports the Cougar/Lynx? I went and downloaded it yesterday. Have it all plugged in and should work but it's not finding my Cougar. I have cut to the Cougar with MTC (tried after SCAL wouldn't to make sure) so I know my computer/Cougar connection is there. One thing I noticed is that where Andy gives us a drop down in MTC to choose the correct "USB Connection port" - we don't get option in SCAL. I do have a request in directly to SCAL support and am awaiting a reply from them but in the interim, thought I would check here. On a side note, I also asked them about mat placement, they told me to set the x/y axis in bottom right corner of 12x12 paper sheet with no 2" offset like needed in MTC when using the Cougar plugin.

Thanks - off to the hair dressers - will check back later to see or update if I have heard from SCAL support.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Re: Cutting to Cougar with SCAL 3? Anyone done yet?

Postby Thyme » May 17th, 2011, 9:29 am

Yes I have, it found my Cougar with no problem in both Mac and Windows
Thyme

Postby Phyllis » May 17th, 2011, 9:50 am

I will be watching this thread since I will be using SCAL 3 with my Cougar which will be here tomorrow. I did try the Silhouette plug in and it worked great. I am on a Mac. Dawn is working on getting some basic info for us.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » May 17th, 2011, 9:59 am

yes, doing it now
Thyme

Postby sherri » May 17th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I have not...I shipped my Cougar off to South Africa but have one now so will get it up and going int he next few days if I get unburied...LOL
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby MeFlick » May 17th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Okay, back from the hair dressers! LOL

thanks Dawn and Sherri. I haven't heard back yet from SCAL Support. They did have me send them a report last night from within the software with the cougar plugged in to the computer and turned on and the report does show the cougar plugged into a usb port. So I await - can't get on the SCAL forum either - I tried to change my email address on their yesterday, gather you have to confirm it from OLD address that I haven't had access to in more than a year! So that can't happen so I am presently locked out of SCAL Forum so can't check in there! Grrrrrr. . . . . . . . LOL I am presently using both MTC and SCAL and Cougar through a PC running Vista windows. If I can get SCAL to work with it may switch it over to my MAC but not sure as I think that would require me to purchase a new license for the MAC.

If anyone has any suggestions - I'm all ears. Otherwise, I will wait for SCAL support to get back to me and then share what they tell me here! Now . . . . . . back out to pick up children from school.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby LJ Scrapper » May 17th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Try switching the USB hub you have it plugged into.
Lynda

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn - Benjamin Franklin
LJ Scrapper

Postby MeFlick » May 17th, 2011, 2:29 pm

LJ Scrapper wrote:Try switching the USB hub you have it plugged into.

I have done that - no go. However, that shouldn't matter - it works with that same usb plug when I use MTC rather than SCAL and the Cougar. It's not a computer problem but a SCAL problem it would appear. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby LJ Scrapper » May 17th, 2011, 2:32 pm

Shoot - I know I have to do that at times, but I don't know a thing about SCAL so hopefully you will get some help soon.
Lynda

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn - Benjamin Franklin
LJ Scrapper

Postby Phyllis » May 17th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Hope this gets fixed for you, I wish I could help. I did download SCAL 3 but haven't got my Cougar yet. Dawn did post a tutorial for the Mac/SCAL 3 on the Black Cat Tutorial forum, so I am crossing my fingers that it goes smoothly. I am a member on the SCAL forum also but I don't remember if I ever posted or not, I might be expired also. I do read to find out as much as I can.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » May 17th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Melanie, Could you try it on the Mac, and if it works ask then to change your license from the windows to the mac version?
Thyme

Postby MeFlick » May 17th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Thyme wrote:Melanie, Could you try it on the Mac, and if it works ask then to change your license from the windows to the mac version?

Sure I could try it on the MAC, but I thought I had to get the new license for the MAC before I tried it. I guess "silly me" I could download the trial version for the MAC and try that! Thumps self in the head!!! Will have to do later as already should be off board headed out to a meeting!

I'm still waiting on the SCAL tech support to get back to me. They were pretty prompt yesterday in some replies - haven't heard anything today - hoping to soon. I'll keep everyone updated. Just can't figure out WHY it's not working - maybe they can't either which is WHY I haven't heard! LOL
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby LisaH » May 17th, 2011, 5:49 pm

got this in an email today.....

Hello Lisa,

Do you use Sure Cuts a Lot? We do and we love it! So today
we've got some sad news.

You may have heard about the makers of Sure Cuts a Lot
being tied to litigation with Provo Craft. They have come
to an agreement. Craft Edge has stopped all distribution
of SCAL. In return, all claims from Provo Craft have been
dismissed. All retail distributors, partners and affiliates
have also been asked to stop selling SCAL as of May 27, 2011.

ExpressionsVinyl.com is in full compliance and will no
longer carry SCAL :( For you Cricut users that already
have SCAL, it will continue to function as long as you
don't update the firmware on your Cricut.

don't know if this would cause you a problem or not and if it's just cricut use or all SCAL use?
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Phyllis » May 17th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Lisa, who is this email from? I think it's only the versions that support the Cricut unless there is something I don't know.
Phyllis

Postby LisaH » May 17th, 2011, 6:26 pm

expressionsvinyl.com
LisaH

Postby MeFlick » May 17th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Lisa - It is my understanding that SCALs agreement was similar to MTCs in that they had to pull support to the Cricut Only. SCAL has never posted anything directly to their forum and they had updated it recently to cut to other cutters just like MTC. I have been on the SCAL Forums the past few days and have not seen anything that said anything to this effect. I will of course go and check there again to see what is happening. If it is as I understand that it was just no longer work with Cricut there shouldn't be an issue. They had just recently released version 3 to work with the other cutters including the Cougar.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby LisaH » May 17th, 2011, 7:37 pm

good, i would hate to see it completely have to go away!
LisaH

Postby MeFlick » May 17th, 2011, 7:39 pm

From the SCAL Forum here: http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopi ... =6&t=21085

posted May 16, 2011

"Announcement Regarding Sure Cuts A Lot Version 1 and 2: We will no longer be offering SCAL Versions 1 and 2. Support for these versions will be available through December 31, 2011.

If you have any questions, you can email us at support@craftedge.com"

Version 3 was just released for use with the other cutters so it would appear that it does not effect SCAL 3 and its use with other cutters.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby MeFlick » May 17th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Then this thread regarding Version 3 its self (also posted Monday, May 16, 2011 - 2 months after MTCs agreement on March 16, 2011):

http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopi ... =6&t=21086

It says the following:

"Sure Cuts A Lot version 3 has the same great features of Version 2 but includes support for a variety of electronic cutting machines. While version 3 does not support the Cricut™, it does support the following:

* Works with Craftwell eCraft™
* Works with Black Cat Cougar/Lynx™
* Works with BossKut Gazelle™
* Works with Pazzles Inspiration™
* Works with Silhouette SD™
* Works with USCutter™ (MH/LaserPoint series)
* Works with Craft ROBO/Graphtec™ machines including Wishblade™ (Windows Only)

** Version 1, 2 and 3 of SCAL all install in separate folders by default and do not interfere with each other

If you previously purchased Sure Cuts A Lot 2 and wish to use our software with a different cutting machine, you can upgrade to Sure Cuts A Lot 3 for free at
http://www.craftedge.com/support/upgrade3"

So again, the only effect is for those with users who only have cricuts and like MTC you can keep SCAL 1 or 2 with the Cricut drivers but won't be able to obtain new copies or updates for the Cricut. Version 3 and future updates will work with the other cutters.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby LisaH » May 17th, 2011, 7:47 pm

good, I'm glad
LisaH

Next

Return to General