Laser Printer Info??

Laser Printer Info??

Postby Gigi » July 2nd, 2011, 10:47 am

Ok - let me just throw out a question - for the heck of it!! For those of you who have laser printers, is there one brand better than another? I would not even know what to look for - what are the important things to know? I honestly don't have a clue and have never paid much attention because I never saw a need/want for it.

So can we start there? You all know why I am asking as I try to talk myself out of needing/wanting TWO more toys - first things first.

Any information (things to avoid, important to have) would be much appreciated - just gathering information you understand - for everyone! :banghead: :ROFLMBO:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Re: Laser Printer Info??

Postby MeFlick » July 2nd, 2011, 11:24 am

LOL - well, some of us have been MIA of late and so we don't know why you are asking! So, what TWO new toys am I going to need now? LOL
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby CaseysAngel » July 2nd, 2011, 12:00 pm

I have the HP laser jet p2035. It works GREAT!!!!!!!!
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » July 2nd, 2011, 12:48 pm

MeFlick wrote:LOL - well, some of us have been MIA of late and so we don't know why you are asking! So, what TWO new toys am I going to need now? LOL

LOL -a laser printer in order to use the FoilMaster - see this thread for more info and pics from the FoilMaster
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=669

Scroll down a couple posts and you will see what Dawn posted using the Foil Master and there the discussion and enabling begins!! WARNING!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » July 2nd, 2011, 12:49 pm

Gigi - I have a very expensive printer called the HP CP2025. It is expensive both to acquire it and the toners. Each toner cart is about $120. I do not pay for the printer - it is something my husband's office pays for, because it is used for extremely important x-rays and evidence in legal cases - but I also use it for my craft stuff (shhhhh.......no fibbing....)..

On the whole, I think in terms of the lasers, HP is superior, but, the very real problem is that the toners are so darned expensive. If you can find a mid-way compromise, do it. I only went the HP route because I had to.

Additionally, long ago I got very specific printing software called Qimage by Mike Chaney. Let me tell you, his software is the absolutely best stuff for printing. It makes the most of your printer. I have printed both with and without Chaney's software and there is a tremendous quality boost with the software. I initially got it for photo printing (and ironically now I do most of that with costco's), but I have used it on a whole range of other projects with great results. It is hard doing everything at once, but eventually, check out Qimage as well. Every print project I do is done with Qimage.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Thyme » July 2nd, 2011, 12:55 pm

The main thing you want to consider is the thickness of the card you want to use with it. A lot of them will only take very thin stuff.
The one that Christy has (by my recommendation) has a straight through paper path so will take thick card. Eg, some of my printers struggle with card over 200grms, that particular HP model will take 350 grm with no trouble at all.
There is also a thread with the laser printers that we have used with the Foil Master in the my BC forum
Thyme

Postby Gigi » July 2nd, 2011, 1:04 pm

Thanks for the great input - and I was wondering about the cardstock as some of my inkjet printers take anything no problem and others really struggle and tend to reject some of it.

Will check out the other forum - should have looked there first - sorry.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby sherri » July 2nd, 2011, 1:07 pm

AND...just so people don't get upset with me...I now only have FOUR foil master left until I get a new shipment...and they have not been ordered yet....LOL
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Gigi » July 2nd, 2011, 1:09 pm

Oh - gee thanks Sherri - but no pressure - right??!!??

**big sigh** :roll: :roll:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Thyme » July 2nd, 2011, 2:42 pm

CAGigi wrote:Thanks for the great input - and I was wondering about the cardstock as some of my inkjet printers take anything no problem and others really struggle and tend to reject some of it.

Will check out the other forum - should have looked there first - sorry.

No need to apologise, just letting you know about that part of the forum, there are some templates there for use with the Foil master too
Thyme

Postby Gigi » July 2nd, 2011, 3:02 pm

Thanks Dawn!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby sherri » July 2nd, 2011, 11:44 pm

No pressure Gigi....ROFL We have been friends for a LONG time sweetie! I know you too well...LOL
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Gigi » July 2nd, 2011, 11:51 pm

:ROFLMBO: So does that mean you already have one addressed to me and you are just waiting for me to order the darn thing??!!??

Can't figure out where to put a third printer and a Foil Master - :banghead: :banghead: :ROFLMBO:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » July 3rd, 2011, 1:29 am

Okay, I'm jealous Gigi... I have been looking at those for awhile, and trying to decide if I would actually USE a Foil Master. I would love a new toy, but not sure where I would put it, or how much I would use it.
I have 2 laser printers, one is a Xerox Phaser 7400 (older model, but works great) and the other is a HP CM1415 Both are color laser printers. The HP can only print 8 1/2 inches wide, but on the Xerox, it can print on wider paper. The Xerox is a HUGE printer... it is more for office environments, but we got a great deal on it used. I have printed on cardstock weight paper on both with out any problems.

If you lived closer, I would share my laser printers with you, if you shared your Foil Master with me... LOL
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 3rd, 2011, 9:59 am

LOL Diane - we would have a deal for sure.

I am honestly going through the same thing - will I REALLY use it or will it be one more toy that gets pulled out on occasion. I don't need another of "those" purchases. That is not a reflection on the FoilMaster, but on me!!

I love to try new things, but really struggling with the reality of it all! Wish you were closer too - would be a no brainer!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » July 3rd, 2011, 12:50 pm

I agree Gigi, It would be a lot of fun to play with. But I think before I buy the foil master, I want to try using a glue pen that I have, and some foil to use with it.. and try "drawing" images with my cougar, and applying the foil to that. I know it won't be the same results, completely different type of application, but since I bought this glue pen and foil, I haven't used it, other than to 'test' so until I start using some of the "fun" things I have purchased in the past, I can't justify purchasing another new toy right now.

Now if space and money were NO object... you can bet your bippy that that "toy" would be on it's way to me in a heartbeat... LOL
Angel135612

Postby Gigi » July 3rd, 2011, 1:31 pm

LOL - hmmm - have the same glue pen and foil and how often do I use that??? Not very..... maybe that IS my clue although you are right - it's an entirely different effect.

I have a feeling once we see what Penny does with it we will all be chomping at the bit to buy one!! :mrgreen: Can't win!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » July 3rd, 2011, 2:16 pm

LOL I think your right... I can't wait to see what Penny does with one. However, I already know I want one... but that doesn't mean I NEED one. :D :mrgreen: I would love to see "in person" the effects of the Foil Master... not just pictures, that don't do the real thing justice. But I don't know of any one around me that has one, so I can see it in real life.
Maybe after I get some debts paid off.. I can convince my BF that I NEED one... LOL But for right now, I just need to use what I have, and start using more of what I have already purchased and is just sitting waiting for me to start playing with.
Angel135612

Postby PennyDuncan » July 3rd, 2011, 2:23 pm

Hey Gigi ONE of those Foil Masters is coming to ME!! ;) I have an HP CM1415fnw color Laser printer and I love it...mine's the all in one ...fax/copy/scan print that's wifi....does a WONDERFUL job!!!! The toners are a bit pricey...BUT they last a VERY VERY long time!!!! And there's a company in my town....called Laser Tone....That actually refills the laser toner cartridges for about half the price.......not sure if you would have a company like that in your town......but definately something worth checking into.....

I am SO looking forward to getting the Foil Master and truly believe I will be using it ALL THE TIME....Just as one example.....the deocrative scrapbook papers we but....the ones with the fancy foiling in the designs....HECK now I will be able to create my own designs and use the foiling when I want...I don't do scrapbooking but I do create cards...so me being about to print 8 1/2 x 11 will be perfect for cardmaking and incorporating the Foil Master....I have a ton of ideas running through my brain...I just can't wait to play!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » July 3rd, 2011, 2:37 pm

Penny, I have that same exact laser printer!! You will have to let me know how that works with the Foil Master... and of course show us all the cool things you create with it.
Angel135612

Next

Return to General