Just a question...

Just a question...

Postby Catlove1023 » October 13th, 2022, 10:21 am

Hi I am embarrased to admit that I have not used my Silver Bullet Cutter in a looooooooooong time. I have a question. My new craft obsession is hairbows and I was wondering if anyone had any experience cutting the rolls of faux leather from hobby lobby on their cutters? If so what blade did you use and did you have any issues cutting that material and did it stay on the mat? Did you need to apply anthing to the back to make the material stiffer?

I ordered a bunch of supplies and figured I would start out by cutting the bows out by hand but it would be nice to use my cutter for cleaner lines.

Thanks
Catlove1023

Cutter: 15" Silver Bullet

Re: Just a question...

Postby Gigi » October 14th, 2022, 12:30 am

There are a lot of posts on here about cutting leather - you might want to do a search for ideas. Some leathers are much more cutter friendly than others and the posts might give you some helpful information. If you have a brand name of the leather from Hobby Lobby, that might help in the search as well. Good luck!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Catlove1023 » October 23rd, 2022, 3:23 pm

Thank you. I have another question. I want to rewatch all the videos from the learning center and start from the beginning with my machine. Should my user name and password for the learning center be the same as the forum? I don't remember what I used my login for the learning center.
Catlove1023

Postby Gigi » October 24th, 2022, 1:21 am

No - the learning center required a separate username and password that Sherri generated at the point of sale. You can contact Sherri if you need assistance with that. I know she has had some email problems, but I believe they have been resolved. If you have any issues getting in touch with her, please let me know. Thanks!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Catlove1023 » October 24th, 2022, 8:46 am

Thank you for responding. I couldnt remember my password so i reset it.
Catlove1023

Postby Gigi » October 24th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Oh ok - great. I was afraid you had lost your username too in which case resetting the password would not have helped. Glad that was not the case and you are good to go! Please reach out if you have any questions as you get reacquainted with your machine!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Catlove1023 » October 24th, 2022, 4:00 pm

Back again. I uploaded a picture of n shape I am cutting out of faux leather. The inner four corners where I put the word here didnt cut clean it was still attached to the material in those areas. Does this mean that my force or velocity settings should be adjusted? The outer corners cut perfectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Catlove1023

Postby Gigi » October 25th, 2022, 4:28 pm

Those inner corners can be tough. I would look at the nodes. There may be too many? I friend of mine who has designed files for years makes any corner (sharp corner like that), slightly rounded. When it is cut, you don't see the rounded part, but that allows the machine to cut that corner in one movement rather than having to go to the point and then change direction. I don't think it is your force. If you don't want to change the nodes, you can also try slowing down the cut. Sometimes something that is a tight angle will cut "better" at a slower speed. I don't know what speed you are using so hard to judge, but when I have a stubborn area, that's what I do.

Also be sure the material is firmly adhered to the mat. If the material is lifting at all, that would change the ability to cut well at a sharp angle. I would start with using a slower speed to see if that helps. I would also cut it out of a light cardstock to help determine if it is the file or the leather. If it is the file, slow it down or alter the nodes. Did you do a test cut to determine the correct speed? If the rest of the file is cutting well, then it is not the force. Good luck.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Catlove1023 » October 25th, 2022, 7:56 pm

I cut it out of cardstock first and it cut perfectly. I should have taped the edges of the faux leather down just to make sure it didn't move. Next time i'll slow it down and tape the edges and see how that goes.
Catlove1023

Postby Gigi » October 25th, 2022, 8:59 pm

Good. At least you know it's not the file. Yes - be sure there is no shifting or that the blade isn't getting caught in the leather when it hits that tight angle. You still might want to consider slightly rounding it - Again, you won't see it rounded in the actual cut but the machine will have an easier time. Keep us posted!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LovePBandJ » December 23rd, 2022, 6:47 pm

Gigi wrote:No - the learning center required a separate username and password that Sherri generated at the point of sale. You can contact Sherri if you need assistance with that. I know she has had some email problems, but I believe they have been resolved. If you have any issues getting in touch with her, please let me know. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat, getting reaquainted with my machine. I need to rewatch the videos, too, but I don't even remember where! I doubt I even registered.

I'm trying to cut vinyl and its a MESS! This forum doesn't seem to be active as much as before. I don't know where I should start to try to fix this.

Thanks in advance for your help!
LovePBandJ

Cutter: SB Pro 24"

Postby Gigi » December 23rd, 2022, 7:17 pm

I just answered your question and am guessing it is a nicked blade. Start there. We also have a more active group on Facebook. Search for Silver Bullet Cutters group.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General