Cutting basswood

Cutting basswood

Postby dlhill » December 10th, 2020, 8:20 pm

I’m attempting to cut basswood. I just need simple shapes. I’m not really sure what I’m doing. I’m not sure I have my blade set properly. I have been able to cut a couple but has taken many many passes. I just think there is room for improvement! Anyone have any tips? Thanks!
Denise
paperpastime.com
scal 3 Lynx Inkscape
dlhill

Cutter: Blackcat lynx

Re: Cutting basswood

Postby mmhockeyfan » December 11th, 2020, 1:05 am

Hi,

I don’t have experience cutting basswood and I’ll try my best to help you. A trick I learned was to extend the blade to be equal to the thickness (or height) of the substrate. I suggest a 60 degree deep cut blade to cut the basswood.

Start making test cuts using 1” squares. My approach to cutting thick or non-smooth materials is to cut at a slow speed and multiple times. I raise my cutting force by increments of five until I achieve great results.

Good luck!
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby Gigi » December 11th, 2020, 1:31 am

Great advice.

I spent a little time reading past posts about balsa wood and basswood. Some seemed to feel that basswood is too thick/dense, but others felt it could be cut and had cut it on lesser machines (even tho they needed an exacto knife to pull the final cuts apart). I have absolutely no experience cutting basswood but guess that, like other mediums, there might be some that cut better than others based on how it is cut etc. The advice of cutting slow is excellent and I would do the same thing. I have only cut wood paper so I am no help at all.

I know you will figure it out and would love to hear what worked when you get to that point. Just be sure you use the 60 degree plus blade.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby dlhill » December 11th, 2020, 5:28 am

My first test cut the other day came out pretty well. I haven’t had as much success on my next attempt. I ordered balsa wood. That is not what this is! It’s basswood. I really need these shapes now or I would order more material.
I have my blade set at the thickness of the material. How do I figure out how to set the holder in the machine? Do I want the blade just above the material?
I think I just happened to get it right my first attempt. And not since!
Thanks!
Denise
paperpastime.com
scal 3 Lynx Inkscape
dlhill

Postby dlhill » December 11th, 2020, 9:33 am

I was able to accomplish the cuts. I will definitely not try basswood again. I ordered BALSA wood but I guess Amazon doesn’t know the difference! This isn’t perfect but will get the job done. Thanks for the advice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Denise
paperpastime.com
scal 3 Lynx Inkscape
dlhill

Postby Gigi » December 11th, 2020, 9:42 am

Looks like you did a great job. And yes, from everything I have read, balsa wood is a dream to cut - basswood not so much. I realize that you didn't get what you ordered. Maybe Amazon needs to be educated as to the difference!! Hope you don't have to go through that again, but great job for hanging in there! :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General